AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Long time reader first time posting

I recently moved into a new place and had some existing gear and am buying some new gear for the family room.

TV: Samsung LN 3253H

Receiver: VSX-920-K

HD DVR Tuner : Samsung 3270 HD-DVR (HDMI)

Gaming:
Xbox (using HDMI),
Wii (Component)

HD Projector : Mitsubishi HC3800 1920x1080

The issues :/ ............

#1:

The speakers I currently have are 4 (M-Audio BX-5A) which were great when I ran everything out of my computer with 2.1 ch, but now present a problem as they are TRS/XLR WITH individual Amps internally.

Problemo #2:

I have an L shaped sectional and a floor standing entertainment center which is facing the couch. Works great for watching TV on the LCD and setting up the sound stage there. BUT when I want to watch on the projector the wall on which it projects is the one adjacent to the TV (basically wall to the right of the TV when sitting on the couch)

..........TV / Console..........

................................... |

....................................|

..Projector----------->.....|

............................XX....|

...............COUCH....XX....|

..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....|

..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....|

....................................|

Hopefully my ascii art makes sense.

So what I need help with is basically ... well everything.

I want to run everything through the reciever (Cable&DVR, Xbox, Wii, Roku Player) and have the audio output through the the speakers. From what I read I need to run any of the sources into the receiver via HDMI if I can and then have one HDMI cable from the output on the receiver to the TV (or projector). But I need an optical cable also? I thought the HDMI cable for audio to work with broadcast tv?

Also I need a good recommendation on speakers for this setup given the odd nature of the room. I could get a nice 5.1 or 7.1 Polk setup but when I watch on the projector my sound stage would be all Mono basically as its all coming from the wall lol Any ideas on how the heck I can make this all work and sound decent?

I am by far no audiophile but I do appreciate clarity, mid's and smooth base.

Most of the time I will be watching the LCD or Listening to everything from Classic Rock -> Rap/Hip Hop.

Budget is only about $500-700 for all the speakers.

Please help!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Polk Monitor

Mordaunt Short Carnival

Infinity Primus

BIC DV

BIC FH

Boston Acoustics Classic series

KEF iQ

KEF C series

Energy C(B/F/C) series

Mirage OmniSats

I'm sure I'm missing a couple hundred suggestions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.