AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't seen any threads yet specifically discussing the new Lync system by HTD. This replaces their old Advanced system.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Lync

I am strongly considering getting this system for my new house. We finished construction in January and I was planning to pick up the Advanced system after a while, but when I called HTD to discuss it they told me to wait for their new system to come out. It took a while, but according to their website it is now shipping! Has anyone placed an order, or better yet, received one? Actual pictures and impressions/reviews of the new double-gang control panels would be awesome.

Funny story, I pre-wired the house with the specific intent of getting the HTD advanced system, which used single-gang control panels. So I have five single-gang boxes positioned throughout the house all ready to go, but now they have moved to this new system that uses double-gang panels. Looks like I will have to cut out the old boxes and put in doubles... oh well.

Update: See my review on page 2 of this thread!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll probably be putting this in my new home as well.

It's got so many great features like whole house intercom and doorbell. Price is great too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, still no reviews of this product on AVS Forum or elsewhere. I talked to HTD one last time yesterday and I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I will try and post a full review of the system with pictures once it arrives. It is currently backordered until February 28th.

If someone else here HAS bought this system recently - please let us know your impressions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i am so torn between this system and a full sonos setup. My electrician will be done tomorrow on our new house and i have the weekend to run "whatever" i decide to run.

I love the intercom feature (2 story house with 4 kids) on the HTD setup.

But also like the ability to use my droids/ipods as volume controls for the sonos.

help!!!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneon /forum/post/20059542

i am so torn between this system and a full sonos setup. My electrician will be done tomorrow on our new house and i have the weekend to run "whatever" i decide to run.

I love the intercom feature (2 story house with 4 kids) on the HTD setup.

But also like the ability to use my droids/ipods as volume controls for the sonos.

help!!!

Home run the speaker wire, loop it through a keypad location in the zone, and add a cat5e cable in parallel to each keypad location. That will set you up for using most any of the whole house audio systems (with in-wall/ceiling speakers).

If you're not sure that you'll use the keypads or volume control locations, just bury the cable behind the drywall, loop some slack, record the location with photographs and measurements, and you won't even have to look at "blank plates" while you decide...

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
besides the cost of wiring, would it be dumb to run all 16/2 speakers to media closet to amp, and leave sonos zp90s in each room and also run the output of them to the media closet to tie back in?

Also, can i use imp. matching local volume controls in each room since ill be wired?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding Sonos and HTD: I plan to just add one Sonos ZonePlayer 90 in my utility room hooked up to the HTD system as a source. That way I can use it to play all my music on my computer as well as internet radio using iPhones and iPads. That will probably be the primary source we will be listening to. I would just go all Sonos, but I like the HTD keypads, and especially want the intercom feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneon /forum/post/20060421

besides the cost of wiring, would it be dumb to run all 16/2 speakers to media closet to amp, and leave sonos zp90s in each room and also run the output of them to the media closet to tie back in?

This would certainly work but it does seem a bit expensive. I assume the reason you want the ZP90s in each room is so you can plug in a local source, right? Do you already have an amp in hand or in mind? As I understand it most people just buy a bunch of Sonos ZP120s and use them to power the zones instead of a separate amp. Then you wouldn't have to home run anything, just slap a ZP120 in each room and you get a local source and power for the zone, and they all connect wirelessly. However, if you already have the amp, then I think your solution makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneon /forum/post/20060421

Also, can i use imp. matching local volume controls in each room since ill be wired?

I think you will be able to use impedance matching volume controls with this configuration, that should work fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue /forum/post/20061543

Then you wouldn't have to home run anything, just slap a ZP120 in each room and you get a local source and power for the zone, and they all connect wirelessly.

As Jeff mentioned though, it may be beneficial to home run everything and do a more "standard" setup so that you are compatible with just about any other whole-house audio system that you may want to switch to in the future. (i.e. Cat5/6 + 4-conductor speaker wire to each keypad, 2 2-conductor speaker wires from keypad to the ceiling speakers)

·
Registered
19 Posts
This suggerstion applies to the new HTD system or any cat5e/6 intercom system

Add several runs of cat 5e/6 to various locations, where the keypad will be most convieent. A wall may not be the best location for a keypad that includes a microphone.

For esamp;e put a cat5e/6 drop behind the headboard in each bedroom then you can tether the keypad to a nightstand or table on either side of the bed.

Make sure you put one very close to the big screen so when the beer and popcrn run out:.Honey will you bring us more popcorn and beer thanks..(That when the fight started)

For our home, ihis type of setup would have been very convenient. (health and elderly parents issues) on several occasions .

Note: Requires a decorative box to house the keypad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok...screw it...im goin with the HTD system instead of a full blown sonos system. Ill just add a z90 as a source lol

quick question about the HTC Lync system.

Instead of using a plain volume control for a subzone, if i order a second keypad and run it off the rj45 jack from the keypad in the main zone, will the intercom still mirror the room zone like the music?

(im thinking intercom usage in the master bath attached as a subzone to the master br)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That question is probably better for HTD to answer, but the owner's manual seems to indicate that you can daisy-chain multiple LyncPads and they will all just be mirrors of each other:

"When more than one LyncPad is installed into the same zone, an adjustment to any one LyncPad will automatically be "mirrored" by the other LyncPads."

I do not have any sub-zones in my setup but I could probably do a quick test when I get my system.

It is Feb 28th today, and that is when the website says it will ship! I still have to cut out the single-gang boxes into double-gang, I better get started

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Lync system looks very nice. Any thoughts on whether you could plug an external hard drive into the back of the controller instead of a memory stick? It would be much nicer to have access to all of my music. I wonder what the interface would be like for scrolling through thousands of songs. I read through the owners manual, but it doesn't really get into any detail on the mp3 playback feature. I'd love to hear a review when someone gets it all installed!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have purchased the Lync 12 system with one MA 1235 and one MA 1265 amp. I have received the amps and the Lync kepads. I am waiting for the Lync 12 controller which will start shipping on March 15th.

I have installed the keypads and have been using the amp connected to my PC. I am using Apple's Itunes application that I can control over the wifi using my Iphone using "itune Remote" application. You can select songs, playlists, and change volume. and all the inwall speakers from Outdoor speaker depot.

The amps are absolutely great! I have actually tried the MA 1265 as a Home Theater setup and it is impressive. It is not as deep or as powerful as my HK Signature 2 but the soundstage was very impressive for this price and for a 12 channel amp.

I can't wait to receive & setup the Lync 12 controller!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr
I have purchased the Lync 12 system with one MA 1235 and one MA 1265 amp. I have received the amps and the Lync kepads. I am waiting for the Lync 12 controller which will start shipping on March 15th.
Thanks for your quick review of the amps! That's awesome, I didn't even know they were coming out with a 12-zone controller. I assume the keypads are just sitting unused for now since you don't have your controller yet, but at least we know the amps are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_the_man
The Lync system looks very nice. Any thoughts on whether you could plug an external hard drive into the back of the controller instead of a memory stick? It would be much nicer to have access to all of my music. I wonder what the interface would be like for scrolling through thousands of songs. I read through the owners manual, but it doesn't really get into any detail on the mp3 playback feature. I'd love to hear a review when someone gets it all installed!
I assume you could probably use a hard drive, but the interface seems to simply be a flat list, not even playlist support, so thousands of songs might be painful to navigate through. I do not plan on using the mp3 feature too much but I will definitely run some tests as part of my review.

I called HTD today to check on my order, apparently it is shipping today. Getting excited, it cannot come fast enough!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue
I assume you could probably use a hard drive, but the interface seems to simply be a flat list, not even playlist support, so thousands of songs might be painful to navigate through. I do not plan on using the mp3 feature too much but I will definitely run some tests as part of my review.

I called HTD today to check on my order, apparently it is shipping today. Getting excited, it cannot come fast enough!
I figured navigation would be painful with the MP3 support. Definitely let us know what you think when you receive it! I think the mid-level system still looks the most appealing to me.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
283 Posts
In my opinion the best way of using an MP3 player is hooking up a PC as a source on the home system. That way you store the MP3s on Itunes and can control the Itune app remotely over your wifi using your smartphone app called "itunes remote". That way you have all the luxury of playlists and with all the MP3 stored on multiple PCs. You can even share multiple playlists from multiple PCs in the house by using "homeshare" on itunes to do so!

However, I am very curious to see how the MP3 player on the Lync pads stacks up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes they are coming out with a Lync 12 - 12 zone controller. Version 1 is coming out in March and v2 is coming out in June. the V2 version will also include a doorbell option and a plug in phone option. That means that when the phone rings, it will mute the channels and ring on the speakers!. The same thing with the doorbell option. Using the intercom function, you will be able to answer someone at the door from any Lync keypad in the house. COOL!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
my system should be here tomorrow, they are just now doing insulation in my house so i wont get to play with it for another month or 2

as far as my kitchen and front porch go:

i put a rotary impedance matching volume knob by the back door for the porch. and another one next to my keypad in the kitchen...

so the outdoor speakers stay off most of the time, but when we are grilling out we can have it louder and turn the kitchen down a notch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Lync 6 system finally came today! No time to get it set it up yet, only to receive the delivery and poke around a bit. I quickly plugged in a keypad just to see it light up, here is a preview:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.