AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently completed my first HTPC build and everything seems to be working great except I don't have sound.

These are the components used:

Mobo: ASRock A780GXH/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

HDD's: 2x Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s

4x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s

Monitor: Sharp Aquos 40" LCD HDTV Model #LC40E77U

DVD: Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-116DBK

Audio: I'm using or hope to use the onboard audio.

I've connected the HTPC to the TV using a HDMI/HDMI cable. I get a great picture but no sound. I made sure I installed the Audio drivers for Windows 7 64bit which I downloaded directly from ASRock's site. Reading through the manual for the TV I found these instructions:

Connecting a PC:

When connecting to a PC with an HDMI terminal (INPUT 5, 6, 7 or 8) {It then shows a picture of an HDMI/HDMI cable connecting between the PC and the TV. I'm connected to INPUT 6, I have an Upconvert DVD player currently in INPUT 5 though if I get the sound working it'll be removed}

Then it says:

When connecting a PC to the INPUT 6, set "PC Audio Select" to "Input 6 (HDMI)". (See page 25.)

I go to Page 25 and this is what it says:

PC Audio Select

Determines whether the AUDIO terminal is used for INPUT 4 (PC-IN) or INPUT 6 (HDMI).

Input 4 (PC): Select this item when the audio signal is input via the INPUT 4 (PC-IN) terminal using an analog RGB cable.

Input 6 (HDMI): Select this item when the audio signal is input via the INPUT 6 (HDMI) terminal using an HDMIDVI conversion cable.

Note:

When "PC Audio Select" is set to "Input 6 (HDMI)", sound will not be produced if you use only an HDMI-certified cable to connect HDMI-compatible equipment. To produce sound, you should make an analog audio connection.

If you want to connect HDMI-compatible equipment using only an HDMI-certified cable, set "PC Audio Select" to "Input 4 (PC)".

So if I'm reading this right does that mean if I'm going to use INPUT 6 I need to switch to a HDMI-DVI cable? Or does it sound like I could save myself a bunch of trouble and switch to INPUT 5, since I'm planning to get rid of the DVD Player anyway once I get the sound working?

I'm currently at work, plus as of this morning I had no power thanks to a downed power line so I can't just test the INPUT 5 theory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Beth

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Make sure you look under playback devices (right click the speaker icon in the taskbar) and verify the HDMI audio device is set as default.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts