AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all the helpful info I have found here, I just finished putting together my first HTPC for under $100. I picked up a used HP PC at a garage sale for $25 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 4 GB RAM, and 640 HDD. The PC had Vista, but I installed an extra copy of Windows 7 I had lying around. I spent another $50 on an AverMedia HD Duet and $15 on a cheap WMC remote control. I set everything up last week and connected it to the antenna in my attic. I recently cut the cord and have been missing the DVR capabilities I had with Dish. So far I have been impressed with 7MC and the DVR capabilities.

I have the HTPC in the bedroom connected to the TV and the network. I have anther HDTV in the family room that is older and does not have a built in tuner. So I have been researching what media extenders are available and what they do, but meanwhile I thought I would try using a laptop with Windows 7 to play recorded TV streamed from the HTPC upstairs using 7MC on the laptop and sharing the recordings from the HTPC. It seems to work fine. I can see and play all the recordings on the laptop. But I did have some odd behavior last night and I thought I would post to see if it is normal. I started watching a show from the laptop about 10 minutes after it started recording and while it was still recording. I worked fine until it got to the point 10 minutes into the show where the recording was when I started watching. Then the playback stopped as if the show had ended. I could start playing the recording again, and it would go until about 20 minutes into the show, and then I would have to do this over again. Is this normal? Is there anyway to watch a show on the laptop while it is recording without getting kicked out? I like starting shows a little late so I can skip the commercials and still finish the show about the same time as if I watched it live.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is normal. At least when I was using WMC about a year ago. I've since moved on to MediaPortal which doesn't suffer from this issue. As a bonus with MediaPortal you can watch live TV on your Laptop using your HTPC's tuner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that is normal. Well, at least now I don't need to spend time trying to fix anything. Do extenders behave the same way? I've been thinking about picking up a used Xbox 360 to use as an extender for the family room TV.

I will have to read up on MediaPortal. I figured since this is my first attempt at using an HTPC, I would start with 7MC and expand from there once I get more confident on how everything works.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
So that is normal. Well, at least now I don't need to spend time trying to fix anything. Do extenders behave the same way? I've been thinking about picking up a used Xbox 360 to use as an extender for the family room TV.
I have no idea if this happens on extenders. I only ever used PC's as extenders.

Only issue with the 360 is that people complain about the fan noise. I hear it's less noticeable with the slim models.
Quote:
I will have to read up on MediaPortal. I figured since this is my first attempt at using an HTPC, I would start with 7MC and expand from there once I get more confident on how everything works.
Good idea. MediaPortal is great but does require a little bit of setup.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You can watch LiveTV on extenders using the same tuner as the one used for recording. Once you catch up to Live feed, you lose ability to skip forward during commercials, which is pretty obvious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts