AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running out of disk space on my current old HTPC and I am planning to build a whole new machine.

My main priorities are:

1. Low Noise (minimum fan noise)

2. Fast power on/off

3. Fast operation

Usage

1. Watch DVDs, Blu-Rays, video on demand, Netflix

2. Occasional gaming

Plans

1. I plan to create an 18 TB disk volume (6 x 3TB) either using on-board Intel RAID-5 or just a JBOD.

2. Will be running Windows 7 x64

The HTPC will be sending HDMI to an Onkyo receiver which sends HDMI to Samsung Plasma.

Questions:

1. Is HIS 6570 video card needed? I like to have the best quality video. Does the 6570 have the best video PQ (for a fanless card)?

2. Are the Hitachi 3TB 5400RPM drives reliable? I used WD before. I need really quiet hard drives.

3. I will need to use all 8 SATA ports (1 for Blu Ray, 1 for Intel SSD boot drive, and 6 for Intel RAID/18TB volume). Will this work on the Asus P8Z68-V PRO motherboard? I need to boot off the Marvel SATA controller which will control the Blu Ray drive and Intel SSD. Will this work?

4. I am using the low power Intel i3-2100T (35W). I plan to have just one fan in the system - the CPU fan. Everything else is fanless in the Silverstone case. Will the internal temperatures be a problem?

5. Does Intel RAID-5 support 18 TB volumes? (6 x 3 TB) under Windows 7 x64?

Please send me any suggestions.

Newegg Wish List:

1 SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817151097

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$40.00 Instant

$159.99

$119.99

1 Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100T

Item #: N82E16819116394

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $134.99

1 HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Item #: N82E16814161374

Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant

$79.99

$74.99

6 HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822145493

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$899.94

$779.94

1 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Item #: N82E16813131730

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $209.99

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Item #: N82E16820231277

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $35.99

1 Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW080G3B5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item #: N82E16820167048

Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $179.99

1 SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body Lascala Series LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Item #: N82E16811163055

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$32.00 Instant

$139.99

$107.99

1 ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Item #: N82E16827135247

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $68.9

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If I were to build a HTPC right now, and wasn't trying to save on price, I would go Llano A8 or A6 with 4 gigs of fast ram and no graphics. I might be replacing a system with Llano A4 when they are released as I'm not in a hurry and want to save on price.

Wow, that is one big HTPC case. How does the front compare in size to a typical reciever? Also curious do you have enough media to fill up all those hard drives. If not I would buy them in pairs as needed, drives always get larger and cheaper.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current HTPC is in the same Silverstone case and it looks nice and accomodates 8 drives nicely, 6 x 2TB, 1 500GB boot, and Blu ray drive). I am almost 90% full on disk space, so I need more space.

My biggest complaint with the current HTPC system is the slow speed when browsing movies.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a sandybridge and use the onboard GPU. The intel drivers for it aren't the best but do work for most of the video I throw at it including lossless hd audio tracks.

I also have the seasonic x400. Look at silentpcreview. Some complain of coil whine.

Something to consider is noise factor, and power utilization for devices that stay on for a while. Do you really need 18tb right off the bat. 4tb hdd are coming later this year. Buy space for what you need. They'll double for the same price before you know it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you plan on watching HD movies such as the 2010 "Robin Hood:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUVOHan2n4

You must have the proper horse power running in that engine. In this case, I like what I see here. Can you tell us more about your sound setup, though?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth /forum/post/20773018

If you plan on watching HD movies such as the 2010 "Robin Hood:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUVOHan2n4

You must have the proper horse power running in that engine. In this case, I like what I see here. Can you tell us more about your sound setup, though?

The sound setup is as follows: The HTPC sends HDMI to the Onkyo Preamp/PRocessor (PR-SC886). The Onkyo decodes the HDMI and sends analog audio to 2 power amplifiers (5 channel Parasound and a 2 channel Parasound). These amps feed 6 Diva Swan speakers and 1 SVS subwoofer (for a 6.1 Speaker config). The Onkyo also sends the HDMI signal to the Samsung 58" Plasma.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlitin /forum/post/20774890

According to Anandtech article, http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/d...-gpus-shootout , the AMD 6570 has the best Picture Quality (PQ) of any discrete card (intended for HTPC).

I don't think the Intel onboard graphics will have the same video quality.

How do they measure "picture quality"? Do you or they think that a i3-2100 playing a blu ray disk does not look as good as a 6570 playing back that disk?

Color me sceptical.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX /forum/post/20774947

Interesting. That article compares discrete GPUs, not integrated GPUs.

As far as picture quality goes reviews I have seen put the usual suspects(radeon 6570, Llano, and Gt430) higher than intel graphics.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20775830

As far as picture quality goes reviews I have seen put the usual suspects(radeon 6570, Llano, and Gt430) higher than intel graphics.

Again, I ask, how do they measure "picture quality"? Do you or they think that a i3-2100 playing a blu ray disk does not look as good as a 6570 playing back that disk?

I strongly suspect that if you put together 4 HTPCs using those four GPUs, hooked them up to the same TV, playing the same BluRay disk, the pictures would be indistinguishable.

The various GPUs certainly have differences in capabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses, but I'm highly sceptical of some sweeping claim that the Intel HD 2000 has "worse picture qualtity".

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20775856

Again, I ask, how do they measure "picture quality"? Do you or they think that a i3-2100 playing a blu ray disk does not look as good as a 6570 playing back that disk?

I strongly suspect that if you put together 4 HTPCs using those four GPUs, hooked them up to the same TV, playing the same BluRay disk, the pictures would be indistinguishable.

The various GPUs certainly have differences in capabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses, but I'm highly sceptical of some sweeping claim that the Intel HD 2000 has "worse picture qualtity".

"The AMD 6550D in the A8-3850 is much better than the Intel HD 3000 Graphics in video post processing quality."

Anandtech.com
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4479/a...-perspective/9

HTPC is mostly graphics dependent, so long as the cpu is reasonably powerful say minimum desktop dual core 2.0ghz the gpu is king. So it seems to me that currently llano is the obvious choice for integrated graphics. Intel is currently beating AMD on price for HTPC but I don't think this will last.

Currently the cheapest way to go is

intel G620 with H61 mobo say $150

Put the AMD

A6 + A75 mobo at 200

Core i3 2105 plus mobo probably equals an A6 system on price and so is not very appealing for HTPC. I still don't know why people's builds in here haven't gone Llano. I'm just waiting for the A4 to come out and figure mobo selection and pricing will be better when it does come out anyways.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20776000

"The AMD 6550D in the A8-3850 is much better than the Intel HD 3000 Graphics in video post processing quality."

Anandtech.com

Nice.

"However, this leads to increased expectations like support for full post processing on Blu-ray videos. Unfortunately, the 6550D has a number of issues which prevent it from fulfilling the requirement.

The Enforce Smooth Video Playback feature needs more work if it is going to get enabled by default. Instead of having pre-defined conditions, it would be beneficial to activate this feature on the fly. Currently, the monitor resolution, input video resolution and bitrate are taken into account while deciding to enable or disable ESVP. This very feature causes botched playback of streams which play properly on the Sandy Bridge systems.

"

That's the rest of that paragraph and the next one.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20776000

Anandtech.com

Ok, but that doesn't answer the question. If you set them up side by side, would you notice any difference?

That's a far cry from saying it has "better picture quality."

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:

Buy the way every review I have read puts Llano graphics ahead of intel graphics for multimedia, games, or whatever. Intel is king for cpu + discrete graphics.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX /forum/post/20776009

Nice.

"However, this leads to increased expectations like support for full post processing on Blu-ray videos. Unfortunately, the 6550D has a number of issues which prevent it from fulfilling the requirement.

The Enforce Smooth Video Playback feature needs more work if it is going to get enabled by default. Instead of having pre-defined conditions, it would be beneficial to activate this feature on the fly. Currently, the monitor resolution, input video resolution and bitrate are taken into account while deciding to enable or disable ESVP. This very feature causes botched playback of streams which play properly on the Sandy Bridge systems.

"

That's the rest of that paragraph and the next one.

Correct, the best system is still X cpu plus say a radeon HD6570. Personally I think thats where the G620 comes in, it fills the X perfect for HTPC.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:

Find me a review where Intel graphics beat Llano for HTPC.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20776089

Find me a review where Intel graphics beat Llano for HTPC.

I notice you avoid the question.

Are you seriously claiming that if you put the two next to each other playing the same disk on the same TV that there would be a discernable difference in "picture quality"?

Do you have some study to cite that claims such a thing?

Of course you're not, and of course you don't, because you know that's nonsense.

Wake me when you have some evidence that one has "better picture quality" than the other in the real world.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.