AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my htpc setup and it is great. I setup a raid 5 with 3 1 TD WD drives. I have a 640gb os boot drive. Being a newbie at this, when I installed the OS I saw that it showed sector 0 was the 640gb drive and sector 1 was the raid setup, I cant remember the number of gb but it was for 2 of the drives, maybe 1.8gb. Also, everything has been setup in the raid bios .\\

My question is i have copied the os and my programs over. Where is the raid drive? Is there someting else I need to do, software wise? What I want to do is copy all my movies on the raid drive.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Probably just needs to be formatted, right clock on "My Computer", click on manage, select "Disk Management" and in the Disk Management window select the raid drive, right click, select format and follow the wizard.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/17047265

Probably just needs to be formatted, right clock on "My Computer", click on manage, select "Disk Management" and in the Disk Management window select the raid drive, right click, select format and follow the wizard.

Best of luck.

I did as you suggested and you are correct. However, when I go to setup the voume, the only item that is highlighted is "New simple volume". There is a greyed out choice down at the bottom for "New Raid 5 Volume" but it is greyed out.

I am running a gigabyte mobo with hardware raid setup. It is set for raid 5.

I believe I should do the new raid 5 volume but it is greyed out. I am running windows 7 RTM. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/17051428

The new raid 5 option would be for software raid, since you are running hardware raid it should show up as a single simple volume in windows.

So formatting the drive as a simple volume is correct? Since it is the only option, I wasn't sure what else to do.

Thanks

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts