AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building my first HTPC and I am concerned about the picture quality of DVD. Most posts these days mainly talk about HD playback but I have come across a few that talked about the issues with post processing. But the requirements vary or completely contradict each other. I have a lage collection of DVDs that I am not looking forward to replacing with HD. I currently playback on a 1080P up scaling DVD player and i am happy with the quality.

My equipment:

Yamaha RX-V2095 - AV Receiver

5.1 Polk Audio speakers

Samsung DVD-1080P8 - 1080P DVD Player

Samsung LN46A580 - 46" 1080P LCD

I plan to rip the DVDs to untouched vob files minus the extras for now. My receiver doesn't have HDMI but it's to good too toss out. Currently using optical for audio. I also plan to use VMC to start with. There will be no gaming on this pc, just playback of ripped DVDs and possible Bluray in the future.

The components I have selected so far:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F2EG HD154UI 1.5TB 5400 RPM x2 @ $99ea.
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W @ $49
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 @ $52
AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz @ $66
ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX @ $90

Will this setup be good enough for SD playback and the post processing necessary or should I look at a discrete graphics card? Possibly a different motherboard without onboard graphics?

Intel setup option:
GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 512MB @ $50
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX @ $80
Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W @ $70

·
Registered
701 Posts
Will have plenty of power for SD playback. I do SD playback through my HTPC from direct DVD rips with an old Intel 945GTP board and a Pentium D 830 with 4gb of ram and a 8500GT. I definitely reccomend a nVidia GPU, onboard will be fine, for picture quality, I've done side-by-side comparisons of a 7900GTX, 8500GT, 9600GT, HD2400, HD3450 and HD4650 and settled on the 8500GT because the picture quality, CPU useage, and drivers were identical between all the nVidia and it was the coolest when running passively and while CPU useage was slightly higher than the 3 or 4 series ATi cards, the picture quality and drivers were superior. There is a huge level of subjectivity to the whole process and part of it will depend on the monitor. My Samsun LN46A760 looks identical whether HDMI with all the settings off and set to "Just Scan" and with VGA, I'm currently using VGA just so that I can use DVI to my KVM, but were I hooking it up for good, and in my HT, I would use HDMI.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Choose an AMD 785G mb. IGP HD 4200 is equivalent to HD 4550 in video playback performance (SD DVD upscaling is very good).

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
it depends on the decoder used, but sd upscaling is very good. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

I atleast have a more confidence that I won't end up with a $500 DVD player that is worse than my $80 Samsung

Rene, the 785G was actually one I heavily considered when it came out. I am assuming that the 7.1 LPCM issue will not affect me since I am doing optical to my receiver? If I understand correctly I should be able to bitstream to my receiver and get 5.1 DD/DTS which is just fine for my use. The wife hates it when I crank it already and would likely kill me if I told her I wanted more speakers.

I will probably be ordering the components tonight and I'm looking forward to playing with it. I have always built my own PC's but HTPC is a different beast.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
@dj2112 Can I ask you where your getting those 1.5tb samsung hdd's for 99 bucks?

I've been looking to grab one of those and thats a great deal!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17009514

@dj2112 Can I ask you where your getting those 1.5tb samsung hdd's for 99 bucks?

I've been looking to grab one of those and thats a great deal!!

They are $119 at Newegg with free shipping but if you buy 2+ they drop the price to $99.

I would have posted links in my first post but I could not since you have to have atleast 3 posts before you can post links.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2112 /forum/post/17009374

Rene, the 785G was actually one I heavily considered when it came out. I am assuming that the 7.1 LPCM issue will not affect me since I am doing optical to my receiver? If I understand correctly I should be able to bitstream to my receiver and get 5.1 DD/DTS which is just fine for my use.

Yes, just connect the optical S/PDIF connector of the mb to your receiver and connect HDMI to your display, and you will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts