AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about building a new HTPC (Home Theater PC). It's been awhile since I've built a computer and I would like someone to take a look to make sure I am not missing anything and that the items I do have will all work together. Thanks in advance. My primary objective is to use this to control my TV/DVR. I already have a good power supply.


Case $89.99

SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black)


Processor (Actually Free to Me)

Intel® - Core i5-2500 Quad-Core 3.3GHz Processor


Video Card $127.10

XFX ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5


TV Tuner $299

Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card


Hard Drive $89.21

Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 GB/S


Motherboard $129

ASUS P8H67-M EVO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps


Memory $59.99

Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Why the dedicated graphics card? Are you going to be using this for gaming, too? If not, the integrated graphics on the cpu will be plenty.


Why 8 gb of ram? Again, if you're just doing typical htpc things, 4 should be plenty.


For a little less money than that 1TB HDD, you could get a 5400rpm 2TB HDD. If you're concerned about speed, you'd be ahead getting a separate 60GB SSD for the OS and applications. That SSD would cost about the same as the graphics card that you probably don't need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I tend to agree with dankev about the graphics card. If you are using a discrete gpu so that you can pass through the audio over hdmi, then there's no reason to buy anything more than a Radeon 6570 or GeForce 430, unless you're gaming too.


6 GB of RAM does seem excessive, but I'm sure 4 GB costs about the same so I'd probably go for 6 too.


If you're considering gaming, you should consider a P67 mobo instead.


Did you overlook a disk drive? Bluray? DVD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petschska /forum/post/20794175


I tend to agree with dankev about the graphics card. If you are using a discrete gpu so that you can pass through the audio over hdmi, then there's no reason to buy anything more than a Radeon 6570 or GeForce 430, unless you're gaming too.


6 GB of RAM does seem excessive, but I'm sure 4 GB costs about the same so I'd probably go for 6 too.


If you're considering gaming, you should consider a P67 mobo instead.


Did you overlook a disk drive? Bluray? DVD?

I have a disk drive already, sorry I forgot to mention that. I have gamed in the past and might in the future. HDMI audio is important which is why I am wanting a good graphics card. I will take a look at the P67, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo20 /forum/post/20795591


HDMI audio is important which is why I am wanting a good graphics card. I will take a look at the P67, thanks.

That i5 already does HDMI bitstreaming audio as well as any graphics card. Unless you need it for gaming, you don't need a graphics card at all for your htpc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20795884


That i5 already does HDMI bitstreaming audio as well as any graphics card. Unless you need it for gaming, you don't need a graphics card at all for your htpc.

I want to have it because I may game again. It's good to know that I wouldn't need it though.


I just ordered everything. My wife actually gave me the ok



Thanks guys for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesickstan
What power supply do you have?
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
When I built my HTPC I went with the onboard graphics and had no problem with playing HD video, whether on Blu Ray or video files. However, since I was abel to upgrade my Projector to do 3d, I went with a dedicated Video card from Nvidia that was 3d compatible and haven't looked back. I also game a little so that too was another reason to get the card.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top