AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
If you stick with an ATX power supply and full sized ATX motherboard, and keep the width to 17.5", then you have no choice but to make the case 7" high (thats the height of an ATX psu).

·
Registered
49 Posts
2 x 5.25" drive availabilty is very nice so that you can have multiple configuration options, rather than being limited. If all you want is one drive, why bother going the HTPC route, just get a dedicated DVD player.

With two available drive slots you can have a DVD player in one and a DVD recorder in ther other. This allows for optimum performance since ther recorders aren't always the best players, performance wise.

Also, another option, if you just wanted to put in a single DVD player/DVD recorder combo drive is that you could use the other 5.25" bay for a HDD swap bay. This would allow you to do drive imaging, and swap drives around your network.

I just think that having the option there is better. They do have another version, the Nexus, with just the single 5.25" drive bay.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Quote:
If all you want is one drive, why bother going the HTPC route, just get a dedicated DVD player.
Simple. dedicated dvd players can't scale other than 480p. Tell me if there's a better scaler than HTPC for the same money. I'm sure there are many people, myself included, who run a PC dedicated only to watch movies and run another pc for other purposes such as internet, word processing, games ect.

Well, I guess this ATX-size case for those kind of people who run most of their pc based tasks as well as HT stuff on a single pc.

BTW, this and this are my kind of cases for HTPC. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
ShePearl - I guess I should have clarified that statement as being a bit of sarcasm :D Certainly, a HTPC is much better at scaling and many other functions than a dedicated DVD player. I know there are numerous benefits to having a HTPC over a dedicated DVD player, regardless as to how many 5.25" drives it may contain.

Basically, the intent of my reply was to show just a small set of examples as to the possible benefits of having multiple 5.25" drives in a chassis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We just wanted to take a moment and thank everybody for their willingness, or at least patience in working with the original Vision case. All of the issues experienced with the Vision have been addressed and re-enginered by a team of professionals in the PC case world. We approached a company that builds cases for IBM and DELL and invested another $10K in design to make it right this time. To extend our thanks, PSI will be offering a FREE upgrade to the new Vision 2 case to anyone who is having issues with their original Vision case. Simply return it to us with a note and you'll get a new Vision 2. Its just our way of saying thanks for helping us provide the best products for the home theater PC builder. We will also be shipping the week of the 16th in an effort to have all Vision 2's delivered before the holidays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.