AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a HTPC. I would like to get your input if I am on the right track for the components.


This is what I am looking at for now;


-Intel Core i3 550 Dual-Core Socket LGA1156, 3.2Ghz, 4MB L3 Cache, 32nm


-Asus P7H55-M PRO Socket 1156 Intel H55 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1333/1066/800Mhz Gigabit LAN 8 Channel HD Audio 1x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots & 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 6x USB 2.0 Micro ATX


-Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Black 12X BLU-RAY BD-ROM 16X DVD-Writer SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo


-Western Digital Caviar Blue (WD10EALS) 1000GB (1TB) SATAII 7200RPM 32MB


-OCZ StealthXStream 2 Ultra-Quiet 500W Power Supply


-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit


-Antec Fusion Remote MAX Media ATX Desktop Case


-Hauppauge 2250 tuner


I looking to use windows 7 and Media center for playback. I want to make sure this system is going to last a while.


I would like 1080p output and HD sound for my amp. Any suggestion would be great!


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts
Looks good. It will do everything you listed with ease.


If your budget can allow it you might want to look into a 30-60GB SSD drive for the OS.


If you go that route then I highly recommend the Samsung F4 Green 2TB drive for storage over the WD Blue you have picked out.


Heck, even if you don't go with the SSD I would probably pick the Samsung F4 Green 2TB drive over the WD Blue for the OS. The performance is about the same and the Green is larger, quieter and likely cooler. If you go this route then partition 40-60GB for the OS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG1 /forum/post/19637648


I am new at this so I hope this is not a stupid question....But why would I want to partition 40-60GB for the OS, does it matter if its on the same drive.

You don't have to make a separate partition.


However, the benefits include the ability to re-install the operating system without losing your stored data, easier backups (if needed), and possibly better performance. And yes, you can do it on the same drive if you choose 1 drive over 2.


BTW - If you are looking at a different PSU look at the Corsair series. I swear by them. For this system 300 watts is plenty. You likely won't draw over 100 watts even at peak.


Edit: Just to be clear this is the 2TB Green hard drive I was talking about. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245

It has 3 platters instead of 4. Supposed to be faster than most 7200 RPM drives out there. At $80 it is only $10 more than the 1TB Blue that you posted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,850 Posts
I just bought a Palit NE5S4500F0601 video card to upgrade my existing HTPC.


It is a new Fermi-based GTS 450 card - twice as fast as the 430 for 2D/3D gaming.


Supports Bluray 3D and bitstreaming of HD formats over its HDMI 1.4 interface.


Amazingly, it's a half-height card also, so it fit my Origen AE case nicely. Might be worth your consideration.


$129 - deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/19637931


I just bought a Palit NE5S4500F0601 video card to upgrade my existing HTPC.


It is a new Fermi-based GTS 450 card - twice as fast as the 430 for 2D/3D gaming.


Supports Bluray 3D and bitstreaming of HD formats over its HDMI 1.4 interface.


Amazingly, it's a half-height card also, so it fit my Origen AE case nicely. Might be worth your consideration.


$129 - deal.

Not to thread crap but he doesn't need that to run 1080p.


The stock intel i3 will do it easily.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19637954


Not to thread crap but he doesn't need that to run 1080p.


The stock intel i3 will do it easily.

No probs at all. I don't disagree with you, but if he is considering using this HTPC for 3D down the road, decoding dual-streams and HD audio formats can load up the CPU quite a bit. Always better to offload the video decoding if you can, especially for 3D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/19637990


No probs at all. I don't disagree with you, but if he is considering using this HTPC for 3D down the road, decoding dual-streams and HD audio formats can load up the CPU quite a bit. Always better to offload the video decoding if you can, especially for 3D.

IMO I think that he would be better served by getting this thing up and running and playing "just" 1080p for now --- which is what he said in his initial post that he wanted to do.


Should he want to upgrade to 3d later he always could --- and probably much cheaper than he could right now.


Does he even have a 3d capable TV?


I think for your first HTPC non-3d is the way to go to start.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top