AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a new computer a few days ago with hopes to make into a HTPC.

Things are going well with the setup but if I watch 3D either from PowerDVD or Stereoscopic player I have trouble getting my display out of the 3D mode.

When it tries to go back to regular it's all messed up, hardly readable, painful looking and I have to re-boot.

Has anyone seen this? It's an built in Intel graphics chip on a new Dell PC.

I really want to buy Stereoscopic player having tried it but don't think I can unless I squash this bug.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Not really a solution to the actual problem (it shouldn't be doing that) but you could use a hotkey combination to switch back to 1080p60 (or whatever your usual resolution is) afterwards, as a fix. I'm not sure you can do that in the Intel panel though, so you might have to use a program/utility to switch resolutions with hotkey combinations.

Not exactly the same problem but similar: I have a problem with using a single HD 7770 with dual output (one to TV and one to AVR) and 3D--if it switches to 3D from 1080p it garbles the screen and I can't see anything. However if the screen is in 24p to begin with, it'll switch back/forth from 3D fine on the TV, while audio goes to the AVR. Therefore I just setup a hotkey to switch to 1080p24 before I watch 3D and then one for 1080p60 afterwards. I shouldn't have to do this, but it's a simple fix for an otherwise complicated problem.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I'll have to try but I don't know what's going on. All I have to do is switch out of 3D mode and the graphics are all messed up and no keyboard response. (And if I left the file playing... horrible noise from the sound system.)

I tried changing some rendering options I found in MadVR for 3D that said something about flush after leaving 3D. That didn't help.

Then, I uninstalled MadVR since I thought maybe MadVR could be a problem. Thankfully, that wasn't it.

Whatever decoder is being used though may have similar options for how to leave 3D mode which could be set up wrong.

Luckily, it happens with PowerDVD which must be far more popular than stereoscopic player among the general population... so maybe I can get help or trouble shooting info somehow from trying to trouble shoot the PowerDVD side. (PowerDVD came free with my external Blu Ray drive.)

-BRian

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Working so hard to trouble shoot this and search for answers but getting absolutely no where.

Too bad because the 3D I get is amazing. I think it's better than from my stand alone player but that could come down to one of a million or so settings.

I think I'm going to have to forget this for a while ... maybe a long while... The crash after viewing 3D is real real bad... Can't believe I don't see others with a similar problem.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Working so hard to trouble shoot this and search for answers but getting absolutely no where.

Too bad because the 3D I get is amazing. I think it's better than from my stand alone player but that could come down to one of a million or so settings.

I think I'm going to have to forget this for a while ... maybe a long while... The crash after viewing 3D is real real bad... Can't believe I don't see others with a similar problem.
Sorry, I've never used 3D too extensively. I've been meaning to try stereoscopic player again, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm much more interested in ffmpeg finally adding MVC support, but don't know when that ever will happen. I do have a windows HTPC again for the short term, so I'll let you know what I find. I may get to try it out a little this weekend

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I've never used 3D too extensively. I've been meaning to try stereoscopic player again, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm much more interested in ffmpeg finally adding MVC support, but don't know when that ever will happen. I do have a windows HTPC again for the short term, so I'll let you know what I find. I may get to try it out a little this weekend
Per the docs on the Steoscopic player page ... they recommend a certain video splitter and also installing ffmpeg.

I think I'm going to try to stick to the problem in PowerDVD though... since it's the same but likely has more users.

The whole problem could be my use of Windows 10... doubt it though.... Windows 10 seems pretty much ready to go in my experience. :eek:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
What kind of 3D file are you trying to play ? (SBS,OU,MKV,ISO) What is your display device? If playing a SBS file the display device should go into SBS 3D mode and when coming out of it their is nothing in the file to change the display back to normal. On my projector I have to manually change it back to normal mode or the picture remains scrambled from the SBS mode (or OU). PowerDVD is about your only option to play a ISO file in frame packed mode.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What kind of 3D file are you trying to play ? (SBS,OU,MKV,ISO) What is your display device? If playing a SBS file the display device should go into SBS 3D mode and when coming out of it their is nothing in the file to change the display back to normal. On my projector I have to manually change it back to normal mode or the picture remains scrambled from the SBS mode (or OU). PowerDVD is about your only option to play a ISO file in frame packed mode.
I have the problem if I use powerdvd to play a 3DBD directly from a blu Ray drive and the same problem if I use stereoscopic player to play a 3D MKV. (What's that called when the MKV is frame packed, I forget)

Anyways, I remembered I have another pc to test with. That may help narrow down cause.

Also, looks like I'm hosting a 2D movie Friday night so I may put this problem aside for other tweaking for a few days.

Thanks. ! -Brian

Edit could be a handshake type problem due to running through AVR

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was correct. Going directly to the pj instead of though the AVR solved the problem.

I think I can (maybe) make a custom driver (INF file) so that the computer thinks it sees my projector instead of the AVR.

I've seen this done for other 3D hardware solutions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts