AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I simply loved reading that article since I live in a 'black hole' apartment in Cincinnati - high on a hill facing the 4 transmitters at a few miles distance.

At times my apartment looks similar to the pictures of the science experiments he photographed. ROFL. What a great advertisement for the TRIUMPH of 8VSB and it's future INEVITABLE acceptance by the general public!!! What I would've like to have seen were the contorted body positions needed by each of the room occupants as not to disturb the ROBUST and STABLE nature of the 8VSB signals. Perhaps then the SCIENCE EXPERIMENT might have been completely documented?

If I could only afford some spectrum analyzers and aluminum pro-grade tripods to complete the accents to my apartment's decor - I could proudly announce to my friends and relatives that "We all now live during the time of 8VSB for EVERYONE."

I find the statement that ANY antenna can nearly do an equal job of receiving a tad bit optimistic - but maybe so in this LONE situation described.

A Silver Sensor (unamplified) with heavy gauge copper wire coiled along the penultimate elements was the only solution in my case for UHF - fourteen (!) other types of antennae could not hold a signal. Without the copper coils - NO STABLE SIGNALS EVER. Alas, even the SS can't pick up the one VHF in Cincinnati. Now if I could just dig a hole into the wall only a few inches I may be able to stabilize and get the right directional position for 2 of the stations. I'm also in needed of a clamp and tripod that allows turning the Frankenstein antenna in all 3 dimensions - because I want to market THAT to the general consumer.

ROFLMAO. HDTV for everyone......NOT. Unfortunately and sadly, cable must-carry seems the only near term solution.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is definitely some great news. I like the comment about having a late model set-top box and some rabbit ears and being able to get a good signal. I can see some users houses now. :) It may look like we're back in the 70's all over again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Putnam wrote, in part:

"... the famous 'Schubin Site', the apartment of broadcast/video trade magazine columnist Mark Schubin located on the upper west side of New York City. This site is a 'black hole' for indoor TV reception, and tests by numerous engineers and industry groups had not resulted in reliable reception of any OTA DTV stations."

Note that he said that the "Schubin Site" is a "black hole" for indoor TV reception in general, not just DTV and not just ATSC via 8VSB. (If I may read the statement literally.)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts
Moderator hat on.

Some posts have been edited or deleted, to keep the topic on track.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Mark Schubin would like all to know he gets good NTSC reception on UHF channels in his apartment. (DTV broadcasts are in UHF in NY.) This famous "Schubin site" has been referenced by many across the industry as a place where 8-VSB does not fully replicate NTSC coverage with indoor antennas. Mark is an industry expert and maintains an ongoing invitation for STB makers to come and test their new equipment at his very difficult site. Many have and Mark reports what he can (subject to non-disclosures).

With past equipment, virtually nothing was receivable at the "Schubin Site". With newer equipment some reception is possible, but not with practical antenna placements. The point of Peter's article was that reception has already improved and more improvements are expected.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for clarifying that, Rich.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.