AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please know that the Infocus LP530 will have a 4 segment color wheel to enhance brightness. They are saying that this will be a great home theatre projector because of the Faroudja scaler but I expect lower contrast because of the clear segment and the normal problems of DLP. I'll report back after INFOCOMM and let you know how it looks.

AJ Abrams

Product Analyst

Projector People/Home Theatre People/Plasma People/AV Marketplace/AVI

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mr. Abrams (with Projector People),

I hope the LP530 review is a little more objective than "analysis" stated in one of your earlier threads. Regarding the LP350 you said (direct quote), "I have seen this product against just about every other DLP and against most of the LCD's. It has a terrible picture folks!". You made no attempt to make side-by-side comparisons, give tangible reasons/measurements, provide screen pictures, etc. A blanket indictment of any product shows tremendous weakness on your part. In other words, almost all products have strengths and weaknesses. How does one define a terrible picture? When you say "all other DLPs"... how many have you compared? Which ones? How about the LCDs? Which LCDs?

I was considering a reply... but chose not to since it was so outrageous and far beyond objective. Let me just say that making blanket statements without reasons and side-by-side comparisons IMHO is AVS Forum blasphemy.

For the record, I want everyone to know that your alleged title as a "Product Analyst" may be a bit of a misnomer. I treat any information presented by you with a heavy dose of skepticism considering your lack of objectivity.

I chose to post this reply, not to embarrass you or to humiliate. I think that there are many unregistered newbies on this site that could take unfounded information that you present as fact. After all, you work for a major provider of this equipment and this can carry some weight.

Consider choosing your words more carefully in the future.

Regards,

Cooter.

Cooter.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ProjectorPeople:
AJ Abrams

Product Analyst

Projector People/Home Theatre People/Plasma People/AV Marketplace/AVI
Are you employed at the position of Product Analyst at the above organizations or are they self appointed, humor basically?

--Les

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stated exact reasons from shaky image, poor color saturation, poor contrast compared to other DLP's, and light leakage. Were you not reading? I do have to work so writing huge replies are a bit time consuming. I base my opinions on this machine also because of the amount of returns we have experienced at my company as well. The DLP's I have seen it against are as follows:

NEC LT150

NEC LT140

Proxima X350

InFocus LP335

PLUS U2-1110 and 1130

Proxima DX3

and the INFOCUS LP130

LCD's I've seen it against are the Mitsubishi X300

Sanyo XP21 and 18

Mitsubishi X70 and 80

NECLT155

NECLT156

What reasons would I have for stating the problems with the LP350 for video? Yes it has good qualities as well, DVI being one, but other DLP's simply give a better picture out of the box.

As for my title: Please feel free to call our corporate office and check on it. I see that you love to bash anybody that announces that they are in fact from a AV dealer. Maybe I should have remained anonymous like so many others here.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And as a further note......Please feel free to take my opinion as an OPINION. I do however see these machines on a daily basis unlike most of the people posting on here. I do not claim to know everything about every machine. I find that I am constantly educated by certain people on this site, but when I do know of problems associated with a particular machine I am going to speak of them. As for pictures... please...I have a job to do here and that job does no involve spending all day on this site. I'm sorry you do not agree with what I said about the LP350. How about evidence to contradict what I said instead of attacking me? I have never pushed a particular machine or in any way tried to sell anyone here anything. Guess that blows up your whole theory about me eh?

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Registered
846 Posts
PP,

Thanks for your insight and for responding about your title.

For the record, I personally have no problem with you including your title if it is an accurate representation.

--Les

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes if anyone would like to see for sure. I will be attending Infocomm. My cell phone number is (813)494-5423 I would be happy to meet with anyone in doubt. Maybe introduce you to our manufactures reps who all know me and know my job here. As an FYI, a product analysts job is to review projectors and then decide what products make sense for our company to stock and at what price we should pay. I then take these recommendations to our Product manager (Rodney Laney) and he negotiates with the vendors.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
A J Abrams,

I spoke to the Sage rep at the SID show yesterday. The Sage/Faroudja chip is, as you know, in the LP530. He said that he has seen the 530 and it is very very good. I asked if it has a clear section in the color wheel, he winced a bit and said yes, it did. I asked if the 530 is the new HT projector from Infocus and he said, as far as he knows, it is not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mr. Abrams,

This is my last post on this thread as I too have a day-job and lots to do. Two areas where you have problems:

1) On absolute language... Making definitive statements like: "I have seen this product against just about every other DLP and against most of the LCD's. It has a terrible picture folks!". Perhaps an IMHO (in my humble opinion) in front of "a terrible picture folks" would have been more appropriate. Despite your replies about this being opinion... you never did state it in your original post.

2) On objectivity... IMHO you should refrain from making blanket statements without properly explaining and developing your point.

Arrow, I agree with you 100%. In fact, it is nice to see that AJ is not hiding behind anonymity. I never suggested otherwise, except to say that he does have a responsibility (especially when representing a company) not to be careless. All participants here at AVS have a responsibility to be objective, and to state *opinions* as such. AJ failed to do so, and I wanted to voice my displeasure (IMHO).

Regards,

Cooter.

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
"Despite your replies about this being opinion... you never did state it in your original post."

Don't we all know by now that any statement *anyone* makes about picture quality is an opinion formed by one eye/brain combination? If you find it lacking, can't you just politely ask for more information?

Mr. Abrams, are you familiar with other Sanyo projectors besides the onces commonly mentioned on this site (XP-18N, XP-21N, PLV-60)? I see at projectorcentral.com that there are many other models. In particular, I'm wondering if any of them are simply lower-lumen versions of the XP-18 and XP-21, but with the same basic picture quality.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rlsmith,

Yes you are correct. The LP530 is not going to be their HT projector. InFocus is hoping that is more of a cross over product. They are positioning it as an install piece that will have very good video. I've also heard good things about the Faroudja and am hoping they do put it in a projector designed just for HT. My preference would be a lower cost LCD but I'm sure if they design a HT specific DLP it will look great.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cooter,

You are 100% correct. I should have stated IMO. I am sorry but I am new to posting on sites such as this and honestly thought that would be implied since any review on a projector (except for the hard core numbers such as recorded contrast and actual lumens) is an opinion. I will and that little IMO to anything in the future if it helps. On the other hand, I did give very specific reasons for my distaste and will stand behind everything I said about lower contrast, jitters, light leakage, and poor color saturation.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Noah,

The hiked up contrast that Sanyo has been able to produce is a relatively new thing. They have limited it to a few projectors, so if you are looking for a cheaper alternative Sanyo, I would hold off a while. I'm sure that this will filter down to all of their projectors sooner or later but it will take a while. Please try and remember that Lumen rating as done with computer graphics and not video. Video will almost always be displayed on a projector with the brightness cranked way down. This means that a 2000 lumen projector might have only 1200-1300 lumens when displaying video. The Mitsubishi X400 is a good example of this. Although I haven't taken a light meter to it, I suspect that only about 1500-1600 lumens are hitting the screen as compared to the 3000 lumen rating. When you flip back and forth between video and computer you can see the difference. I asked James Griffith our Mitsubishi Rep about this and he confirmed that I would probably be correct about the light output. What all this means it that you should never worry about the projector being too bright. See the machine first or at least buy it from a dealer you trust to let you know the truth about the output during video.

------------------

AJ Abrams

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keith,

I'm partial to LCD's (not being able to afford a D-ILA. ILA, or three-chip DLP). To me the reasons are as follows.

1. My eyes are sensitive to the strobe effect of a DLP.

2. There is now almost no difference in measured contrast (ANSI) ratios between LCD and DLP. Although DLP's are claiming some outrageous contrast numbers right now, these are sequential rating and IMO do not reflect what you see on the screen.

3. The better LCD's (certainly not all) seem to do a great job of grey scale

4. Colors are much better on just about any LCD than on even the best DLP's that I have seen (so far). Please see any comparison between a DLP and LCD in Presentation magazine (Mr. Bohannon who I have meet and respect) and you can see the hard numbers to back up this claim.

5. LCD's are brighter at this time

6. LCD's are cheaper per lumen at this time

7. LCD's are usually quieter (case by case basis of course)

8. Lamp life is usually longer and the LCD lamps usually hold their brightness longer.

As for which specific machines I like? Well right now (changes monthly it seems) I like the Sanyo's. I think with their contrasts, good overall build quality, and scaler technology that they are slightly ahead of the pack right now. After that, I like the Mitsubishi X400/X390. The colors on the Mitsubishi's blow be away. They have the best menu controlled color adjustability in the market right now. They have good blacks. They have the best warranty in the business. They have decent scalers/line doublers built in. For the money they seem to always be a great buy. Except for Sony, all the other LCD manufactures don't seem to be focusing on the HT market as much and are therefore a little behind these two.

------------------

AJ Abrams

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.