AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may recall, I saw the HT1000 last week and I commented on how noticeable the screen door was. I talked to the owner of the store today and he told me that he had an NEC rep take a look at the problem. It seem that they were feeding the HT1000 a progressive signal. The rep suggested an interlaced signal instead. After making that change I was told that the screen door was noticeably reduced. As I recall, this was mentioned in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago.

I will need to take a look at the projector again.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
We just did very careful testing of HT-1000 with super high-quality sources (D-5 1080i masters, Windows Media Video at 720p, various test sequences, etc.) and I can tell you that there is no "screen door" effect to worry about on HT-1000. My eyes are quite sensitive to this problem and I can assure you that it is not an issue with this pj.

The HT-1000 is a very nice pj with low resolution being the only issue that I can see (which causes steppiness that may be confused for screen door effect). For its price, it does quite well. The contrast ratio is quite good, blacks are nice, and the unit is small and relatively quiet.

Amir

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyK
As you may recall, I saw the HT1000 last week and I commented on how noticeable the screen door was. I talked to the owner of the store today and he told me that he had an NEC rep take a look at the problem. It seem that they were feeding the HT1000 a progressive signal. The rep suggested an interlaced signal instead. After making that change I was told that the screen door was noticeably reduced. As I recall, this was mentioned in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago.
Are you sure you're not confusing screendoor with pixel structure (blockiness)? I haven't seen the HT1000, but I've seen other dlp projectors, and what you're describing doesn't sound physically possible - unless you have the eyes of a peregrine falcon, in which case you'd be seeing screen door on everything, including d-ila. :)

As amirm suggested, I have a feeling what you're seeing is just the pixel structure, i.e. the fact that the pixels are square - which causes stair-step diagonals in images, and is most blatantly obvious in small text from a computer display (even on a d-ila, which has very little screendoor).

screendoor = dark gaps between pixels

pixel structure (blockiness) = squareness of pixels themselves

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.