AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New guy here. Building a new house. Have decided on the Russound MCA-C3 for whole house audio - six zones. Am looking for the in-ceiling speakers now. I have experience installing Nuvo Grand Concerto with Proficient Audio C645's, however, I've heard that the aluminum tweeter in these speakers might not be great for rooms with hardwood flooring (and I have confirmed this to be true). Thus, I'm now looking at the C625's which have silk dome tweeters. The builder's default options are Klipsch R-1650-C, R-2650-C, or R-3650-C, some of which appear to be discontinued. They also do not seem to have great specs. My question for those with experience is, which 6.5" in-ceiling speaker brand/type would work well in rooms with hardwood or tile flooring. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than $200 for a pair of speakers, but I will if necessary (if it is worth the investment). I also consider myself an audiophile ("only lossless please"), so I do appreciate the finer points of sound reproduction (but I also understand the limitations of whole house audio systems).

Thank you for your help,

CJ

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arul_nandha  /t/1472769/new-install-in-ceiling-speakers#post_23319510

How about HTD R65 in-ceiling speakers????

Thanks for the tip, however I'm trying to stay away from aluminum tweeters as my rooms have a lot of hard surfaces (wood floors, tile, etc.)

Thanks,

CJ

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotech07  /t/1472769/new-install-in-ceiling-speakers#post_23321169

Thanks for the tip, however I'm trying to stay away from aluminum tweeters as my rooms have a lot of hard surfaces (wood floors, tile, etc.)
The cone material has no direct bearing on the sound produced, unless you're hitting it with a stick.

No matter what speakers you use hard surfaces and good sound are mutually exclusive.

As for in-ceiling speakers, if the speaker cannot be aimed at the listening position imaging will be vague. That means the entire speaker, not just the tweeter. If the room is acoustically hard to begin with having speakers with good imaging is far more critical than acoustically soft rooms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1472769/new-install-in-ceiling-speakers#post_23322226

The cone material has no direct bearing on the sound produced, unless you're hitting it with a stick.

No matter what speakers you use hard surfaces and good sound are mutually exclusive.

As for in-ceiling speakers, if the speaker cannot be aimed at the listening position imaging will be vague. That means the entire speaker, not just the tweeter. If the room is acoustically hard to begin with having speakers with good imaging is far more critical than acoustically soft rooms.

Bill,

Thank you for this clarification. This widens my scope of options a bit then. A local installer recommended Episode speakers and they seem to be getting pretty good reviews, so I'm now taking them a bit more seriously. Any experience with this brand?

Thanks again,

CJ

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotech07  /t/1472769/new-install-in-ceiling-speakers#post_23324937

That is correct...whole house audio only.

Then I really don't know how important things like pivoting woofers and tweeters are. For home theater, yes, For casual audio listening throughout the home, not as much.

Also, things like drapes, pillows, plush chairs and sofas, rugs, etc can help quite a bit with sound and reflections. If you were ever in a room that is completely empty and clap your hands or talk loud, notice the sound. Now in the very same room that has curtains, sofas, rugs, pillows, etc do the same thing and listen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts