AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is already wired for cable. Since I won't be subscribing to cable service. Can I use the coaxial cables already running through the house for DirecTV? Or should I run new cable to each receiver. I'd like to have 2 or 3 receivers. What's the best setup in that case?

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the coax is good, certainly use it.. but if you're not sure, you can pull new cable.

i'm in the same boat in my new house, but since the existing cable was on the opposite ends of the rooms we were putting DSS (i, too have only DSS), we just pulled nice new cables.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Most cable systems use RG-59 coax, DBS systems require RG-6. You may get away with RG-59 indefinitely with no problems, but if something acts up, the wrong cable will always be suspect.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can use that as long as it's rg-6.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nlrich:
How can you quickly tell if its RG-6?
It is probably written on the side of the cable. If not, go to your local Radio Shack and look at the two type of cable. RG-6 is much thicker than RG-59, and once you have seen them both, you won't need a micrometer to tell them apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.