AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's network update brought down new IR codes for Ovit cable & DirecTV boxes, and Sony cable box DHG-M55CV.

ALSO, I just noticed that new microcode for the KFir 2 MPEG encoder, and new initialization data for the Philips SAA7114 NTSC decoder were downloaded April 17th. I don't see offhand anything that *uses* these files, though -- maybe more stuff for the beta testers amongst us?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today's brings down IR code mappings for "DISH, National", and "DISH, Albuquerque" through "DISH, Washington". These just map those names to files that were already there, so I don't *think* any of the entries will act differently from the "DISH Network" entry that was already there, but it may be a good sign wrt dish locals?

There's also another version of the authorization stuff that started mid-april; this version changes the phone number and changes the wording "the following key" to "the following ReplayTV Service Key". The "Valid" magic number is still the same and the ValidSig2 magic number is once again different.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Any idea if the code to support DCT-2000 serial ports has been installed yet?

What do you do, run "strings" over the image after a network update?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No sign of it. I suspect that's going to take a real code change, not just the data file changes & registry settings these others have been.

I run the daily updates through a translucent proxy (that is, a transparent proxy that's not completely transparent); amongst other things, it logs the requests and the responses in an easy-to-read format. I have mostly-complete logs of that going back to March 1st (accidentally deleted about a week's worth of syslog-putting transactions early this month), and lately I've been reading the new logs each day.

In today's case, a file called sys-setup/data/Irbdata/irfilelist was updated; I did a diff of it against the version which was installed yesterday to go with the other IR changes.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...ALSO, I just noticed that new microcode for the KFir 2 MPEG encoder, and new initialization data for the Philips SAA7114 NTSC decoder were downloaded April 17th. I don't see offhand anything that *uses* these files, though -- maybe more stuff for the beta testers amongst us?
Interesting... so what's different in the encoder/decoder code?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Interesting... so what's different in the encoder/decoder code?
No clue. Those weren't updates to existing files, they were brand new files, not (as far as I've been able to tell) referenced in the existing code at all.

It may be exactly the same as the current stuff, just split out into separate files so future software versions can update it more easily. The Ph7114 file is a human-readable list of register settings for the chip; with the publically available datasheet, you can tell what each bit is doing if you have the patience. The KFir II file is technically human-readable too, but a long list of hexadecimal numbers with nothing else to go on doesn't mean much, at least to me. I suspect not to anybody who doesn't work for VisionTech/BroadCom.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think so. They're certainly not executable as-is -- some other software needs to read them and do stuff with them, and I can't find any software there now that will do that.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Todays downloaded added a new headend -- "DISH, Portland".

Dish users who have been struggling with the local lineup situation might want to try reconfiguring.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
Todays downloaded added a new headend -- "DISH, Portland".

Dish users who have been struggling with the local lineup situation might want to try reconfiguring.
That's interesting. I looked @ mine and didn't notice any change in the DISH local layout but I didn't redo setup. jtl what happens if you add DISH to your extra input? Just wondered what choices it offers now, and where your locals go (pretending you had DISH).

I did notice it now appends "dbs" or "cable" onto the the channel name (on the banner), I don't precisely remember that, but maybe it's always done it?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
That's interesting. I looked @ mine and didn't notice any change in the DISH local layout but I didn't redo setup. jtl what happens if you add DISH to your extra input? Just wondered what choices it offers now, and where your locals go (pretending you had DISH).

I did notice it now appends "dbs" or "cable" onto the the channel name (on the banner), I don't precisely remember that, but maybe it's always done it?
The satellite choices were now "DISH, Portland", "DirecTV, Portland", "DirecTV, National" and "DISH, National". Selecting DISH, Portland, in addition to AT&T Cable on the coax in, and AT&T Digital on the other a/v input, I get:

cable from the wall, channels 1-78

DISH, 100-999

cable through the cable box, channels 1000-1945

portland locals are in a block, 874-880. There are lots of apparent-locals listed, both with that block and elsewhere, that I assume I wouldn't actually get.

Maybe they don't have the listing data split out yet, but are working on it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...Maybe they don't have the listing data split out yet, but are working on it.
That's possible. I guess it depends on where the Portland locals land on the alternative DISH national option? Question is... are any unused extra locals removed from the Portland option? There are something like six or eight markets that remain national on DISH... likely they're just getting geared up for spotbeam winnowing if it isn't already occurring.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah ha. there are 550 channels in the national lineup that aren't in the Portland local lineup. I can supply a list to anyone who's really interested.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
swiped ECHOST.he and DISH820.he from the user/NetCache directory on the Replay, with ftp.

for i in *.he ; do perl -ne '/Tuning.*\\s+(\\d+)/ && ($tuning = $1); /Name\\s+(.*)/ && print "$tuning $1\

";' > $i.list ; done

diff -u ECHOST.he.list DISH820.he.list

dump-headend is from the current version of ReplayPC

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well that's what I was thinking (something along those lines).

@ least this means we should be able to get rid of that DISH "Train Wreck" of local listings.

Yet we still have the option for any fond of it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Panasonic PV-HS2000 Showstopper and a Sony Digital Cable Box DHG-M55CV but I havent been able to get the new IR Codes that JTL says is now available. I've done a net connect today but I still do not see a listing for the Sony cable box when I tried to change my setup. Can anyone give me some advice? Its been two weeks since Ive havent used my replaytv and I'm going nuts! haha.

Thanks in advance,

Rhino1

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The updates I've been watching are for the 4000. The IR codes are part of a group of files called "sys-setup-gaea"; gaea is the name of the new system board. The equivalent for older models, "sys-setup", hasn't been updated.

The 4000's IR data files qre significantly larger than the earlier models (like, 4-6k instead of 10-15 bytes). It may be that the older models have hardcoded IR protocols, and all the data files do is map to particular protocol/parameter, while the 4000 can download code to the IR controller chip.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hey jtl,

I took a peek at the C0476FI.rid file that you sent me and it's not in the standard UEIC format that the older files are in. I did notice that there are alot of repeated patterns present, which leads me to believe that this is the equivelent of learned signals rather than device codes and protocols, which is what the older files used.

Just out of curiosity, do the 4000s use the same setup codes as the older Replays (eg, CBL/0476 for Motola, etc)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.