AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new JD Power and Associates rankings for best Cable/Satellite companies are out and this year WOW! Internet and Cable (My Employer) is #1. Good ole' Adelphia tied for last and Comcast and Time Warner did not fare much better. Here are the top four:

1. WOW! Internet and Cable

2. Directv

3. Cox

4. Dish Network

~Josh

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/ra...lite/index.jsp

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Amazing how much a crappy Customer Service experience can impact the image of the whole company. I doubt Comcast would fare a "2" on Offerings & Promotions relative to the competition if evaluated independently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake
What the hell is "Internet and Cable"? They aren't listed anywhere. Is this supposed to be a name of a company.
The company is "Wow!" and they offer Internet and cable services. They are listed #1 up top next to the award setion.

·
Premium Member
35,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
Amazing how much a crappy Customer Service experience can impact the image of the whole company. I doubt Comcast would fare a "2" on Offerings & Promotions relative to the competition if evaluated independently.
An industry analyst during a discussion of Comcast and their VoIP phone project said the phone system Comcast really needs to concentrate on is the one their customers call in on for customer service.. :D

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
At a recent cable show, operators were told bluntly that if they don't get their CSR and service acts together, it won't matter what glitzy services they offer.

And we have to remember that cable has had a terrible reputation for service for well over a generation now. Fixing that reputation will be very difficult: something like sprucing up the image of used-car salesmen or ambulance-chasing lawyers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Having had both Comcast and Directv for about equal periods of time over the past few years, I have to say Comcast customer service is vastly superior. D* would score far worse in every one of those categories if they asked me. I don't think I ever had a good experience calling them, and their fixes were laughable, and they often had no idea about what services they even offered. Comcast at least sends out a knowledgeable person if a house call is required, unlike D* sending out some random, clueless, grumpy contractor.

·
Premium Member
35,990 Posts
From CED Broadband Direct

JD Power: Cable customer satisfaction improves, but churn still troubling

Jeff Baumgartner, CED

Cable's customer satisfaction ratings have picked up, but that hasn't kept people from defecting to the DBS camp, says a new study from JD Power and Associates.

For the first time in four years, a cable company -- WideOpenWest (WOW!) - held the top ranking, with a customer satisfaction index score of 717 on a 1,000-point scale. DirecTV Inc. was close behind with a 716, followed by Cox Communications (711), EchoStar Communications (708), Cable One (693) and Bright House (670), which were all ahead of the industry average of 667.

Below the line were Time Warner Cable (664), RCN Corp. (652), Insight Communications (649), Cablevision Systems Corp. (648), Comcast Cable (631), Charter Communications (617), Adelphia Communications (603), and Mediacom Communications (599).

In 2001, Ameritech New Media (whose systems are now with WOW!) was the last "cable" company to hold the top spot. Before that, Cox, in 1996, was the last cable MSO to attain that distinction.

While the cable category generally improved, satellite satisfaction numbers dipped. In 2004, EchoStar was ranked highest, with a score of 725, 17 points higher than its showing in 2005. DirecTV's 716 score in 2005 was five points off last year's score of 721.

"Overall, satellite customers are still more satisfied with their service than cable subscribers, but if satellite providers want to continue to attract subscribers away from cable, customer satisfaction is a critical area where they can't afford to lose ground," said JD Power Senior Director of Telecommunication Research Steve Kirkeby.

While customer satisfaction figures improved for cable, churn continues to head in the other direction.

Based on responses from 11,586 households, JD Powers' 2005 Residential Cable/Satellite TV Satisfaction Study found that 27 percent of U.S. homes only subscribe to satellite service, up from 19 percent in 2004, and 12 percent in 2000. In comparison, 60 percent of homes only subscribe to cable, compared to 62 percent in 2004, and 66 percent in 2000.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I was considering switching to Comcast from D* before the latter gave me a great deal on an HD DVR. I was reminded of why I had switched to D* in the first place when I saw this in the paper this morning. :)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424
I was considering switching to Comcast from D* before the latter gave me a great deal on an HD DVR. I was reminded of why I had switched to D* in the first place when I saw this in the paper this morning. :)
That was great thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
If Charter was tied for last, it must have been tied with a coat hanger out the window. I have never (with the possible exception of Alltel) seen customer service so poor as I have at Charter.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Well, there is always Adelphia to give Charter a chance at escaping the cellar.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudot
Having had both Comcast and Directv for about equal periods of time over the past few years, I have to say Comcast customer service is vastly superior. D* would score far worse in every one of those categories if they asked me. I don't think I ever had a good experience calling them, and their fixes were laughable, and they often had no idea about what services they even offered. Comcast at least sends out a knowledgeable person if a house call is required, unlike D* sending out some random, clueless, grumpy contractor.
Same here. While Comcast did send out a few clueless techs in the past, they did improve a lot in the past year. I had both D* and E* before, most problems were hardware issues or messages that needed call in and being put on hold for long time.

I think with cable they vary widely from region to region. There is certainly more they can improve but I remember often being on hold very long time with SBC, my bank, IRS, DMV and the wife... so I am realistic.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake
What the hell is "Internet and Cable"? They aren't listed anywhere. Is this supposed to be a name of a company.
Wide Open West = WOW!

http://www1.wowway.com/

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
another view of the same basic information:

Cable catching up with satellite
Survey says satisfaction with cable service on the rise

By Harry Berkowitz Newsday Staff Writer August 17, 2005, 3:56 PM EDT

Aided by features such as video on demand and digital phone service, cable TV has narrowed the gap with satellite TV when it comes to customer satisfaction, according to a new survey.

"Although satellite providers continue to gain market share, overall customer satisfaction among satellite subscribers has declined while satisfaction among cable subscribers is up," said Steve Kirkeby, senior director of telecommunications research for JD Power and Associates, in releasing results of the annual survey yesterday.

Cablevision Systems, which had ranked at the bottom or next to the bottom of the list in the previous three years, moved out of the basement, ranking 10th among 14 cable and satellite TV companies.

It edged out 11th-place Philadelphia-based Comcast, the nation's biggest cable provider, which has been absorbing its acquisition of the former AT&T cable customers and has been lagging in rolling out digital phone service.

Time Warner Cable, the second biggest, which along with Comcast has agreed to acquire Adelphia Communications, remained in seventh place, same as last year and just below the industry average. Adelphia, which has been in bankruptcy proceedings and whose founder was convicted of fraud charges, ranked 13th, and Mediacom, based in Middletown, N.Y., ranked last.

For first place, Wide Open West, a Midwest cable company, edged out satellite provider DirecTV in the survey of 11,586 cable and satellite customers. The previously top-ranked Dish Network satellite service from EchoStar Communications, fell to fourth place, slightly behind Atlanta-based Cox Communications.

"Overall, satellite customers are still more satisfied with their service than cable subscribers, but if satellite providers want to continue to attract subscribers away from cable, customer satisfaction is a critical area where they can't afford to lose ground," Kirkeby said.

Twenty-seven percent of U.S. households subscribe only to satellite TV, paying an average of $57.72 per month, up from 18 percent that subscribed in 2004, JD Power said. Sixty percent subscribe only to cable, down from 62 percent in 2004, paying an average of $58.51.

Satellite and cable companies have been promoting bundles of services and new features such as TiVo-like digital-video-recorders to win customers. Cable companies also have stressed high-speed Internet access, digital phone service and video on demand.

Twenty-one percent of consumers in the survey said they had ordered a VOD program, down slightly from a year ago. "Clearly the industry needs to continue to educate subscribers about VOD," Kirkeby said, adding that VOD users are much happier with their cable service than non-users, but that customers are not very aware of the free VOD programs offered by some cable companies, especially Comcast.

Cablevision and Time Warner have led the industry in rolling out digital phone service, which offers unlimited calling for flat monthly fees.

Yesterday, Cablevision said it had added several new features to its Optimum Voice service, including "find me," which funnels calls to as many as four numbers at once; distinctive "VIP" ring tones to identify certain callers; and "busy redial," to repeatedly redial a busy number.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I saw on another site that WOW only has like 250,000 subs. I don’t really thing it's accurate to rate them in the same group where everyone else has multiple millions.

The service you get in a restaurant with 10 tables is different then the service in a restraint with 100 tables.

Scale has alot to do with how well you can service your customers.

I also believe they are a cable overbuilder. I’m not sure exactly but I’d think that gives them something of an advantage ove the other cableco's because they can cherry pick where they want to serve.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
SkyFILES: The Customer Satisfaction-Ranking Basement

by Michael Hopkins SkyReport.com & mediabiz.com

Satellite TV has always boasted about its superiority over the wired technology. And the J.D. Power and Associates survey of customer satisfaction among cable and satellite TV services was one of the items small dish companies used to lambaste their competition.

That's until this year.

For the first time since 2001, a satellite TV company did not win the J.D. Power award. In fact, one DBS company took second place while the other was seated at fourth. In years past the nation's two largest satellite TV services switched between the first and second place seedings while cable operators were sent to the customer satisfaction-ranking basement.

Cable overbuilder WOW, which has about 286,000 customers, was the big winner in terms of customer satisfaction with a score of 717, beating second place DirecTV by one point in the J.D. Power rankings released Wednesday. Cox Communications, which serves 6.3 million customers, was third with a 711 ranking. EchoStar's DISH Network was fourth with 708.

Is cable catching up to satellite TV in terms of customer satisfaction? Well, not really.

The industry average for customer satisfaction in this year's J.D. Power survey was 667. And the average was weighed down by a majority of cable operators known at times for lackluster customer service. Time Warner Cable had a score of 664, Insight scored a 649, Cablevision was at 646, and Charter came in with a 617.

Comcast, the nation's biggest MSO, achieved a score of 631, well below the J.D. Power industry average.

Some would suggest this year's J.D. Power study shows cable is turning the corner in terms of customer satisfaction. Before anybody does that, the cable competition should take a closer look at the numbers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.