AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally leaving Chicago and have resigned as the F5 Engineering Team Lead @ Allstate, and am moving down to Indianapolis for more money at a technology company and some new experiences. With that, I finally have a place with a walk out basement including a bathroom, and approximately 20x20 of space to fill.

I'm starting with no furniture. The things I have currently are.

Surround Sound
  • Definitive Technology BP7002's
  • Definitive Technology CLR 2500
  • SVS SB-01 (Rears)
  • SVS SB13-Plus (Subwoofer)
  • Yamaha RX-V465
  • HTPC
  • Epson 8100 Projector

Still need a fixed screen. Assuming I'll go 120''

It's hard to decide what the "theme" should be. I would love to design it all so there is definitely some wow factor and thought put into it.

I believe I'm going to do a fixed screen, sectional or nice couch, a bar table with stools, and hopefully some shelfs/table/something to put some stuff on. I thought about a small bar, but I don't see it fitting in as well.

A few things definitely stand out when I'm looking at furniture and hoping AVS has the answers?
  • Where do I look for quality furniture (at non-rape pricing)
  • What other items should I include as a Rec/Theater/Game room
  • Any cool technology I've missed and should include (lighting, switches, etc, etc)

Here was my last home theater setup, and I'd really like to step it up a notch. Make it look legit. This was bare bones in the house I was renting and in my master bedroom on the other side from my bed.

I also need to block the entryway for the 2 cats. This will be sectioned off from the rest of the house to help with sound/fur/etc.

Need to be temporary as we are just renting. and all the new furniture will go down there and we don't want them having access to the room at all.

·
Registered
984 Posts
As far as deco I would check other people's threads for ideas. Min is in my sig for example.

If you want gaming stuff look into Family Leisure(east side of Indy) that is where we bought our seating/bar/poker table.

As far as furniture there are tons of places around town to look so I suggest shopping around. We found a lot of the stuff we own at the Room Place. There is also an outlet place on the north side that i can't remember the name of off the top of my head(I'll ask my wife and post back).

You ask about lighting and switches but it says you are renting so is that something you really want to mess with?

·
Registered
984 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts