Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One & All,

Just returned from a 4 day stint in NJ setting up the logistics needed to get started on what will be a great HT. Got loads of "before" pics to post too.

This puppy is a 24' 8" wide x 24' 11" deep area, bisected at 20' by two vertical 3' x 3' framed & sheetrocked columns set out 5' from each side wall. The center of the room is sunken in 8", the first poured riser is at 15', the upper floor (between the columns) starts at 19". The presentation wall is 14' across, and at each side the walls then angle at 20 degrees into each side wall. (diagram to follow this PM)

There will be three rows of Custom seating, configured 5 - 4 - 4, front to back. It is to be a 8.1 system with twin, Dual 12 Woofer w/ dual voice coils Sub woofers,(...THUMP!...) each in Custom built enclosures designed to be Flush mounted in-wall at front center and in the base of a 46" high Wall/ Set-Bar w/ Stools that will serve as the back wall behind the last row of seating.

The ceiling is to receive a Fiber Optic "Starlight" treatment set into absorptive "hard" foam Black sheathing.

At present, a SE 20-HD PJ is slated to be ceiling mounted at 18' from the screen. A 119" 16:9 projected image on a "Grey Painted" surface will be tried first, with a Stewart Greyhawk screen added if the results are less than desirable.

No fewer than 4 "AMC 2N100-5" 5 channels amps will power this setup that will include 16 Audio Transducers per each of the R & L & C channels, and 12 ATs per each of the remaining 5 Effects and surround channels. (..that's 108 transducers in all, receiving a total of 2200 watts.)

The remaining power is for the Sub Woofers and Tactiles. (1800 watts)

The Floor inside the sunken area, and each of the two other risers will be built 12" O.C. x 6" high, with cross bracing every 18". All will "Float" on 3/4" Metal/Rubbers Isolators. Each area of the seating floors will each receive a single ButtKicker II, or 4 Aura Pro Tactile Transducers, depending on if the hardened conrete floor can be excavated to enough depth to accomodate the BKIIs. If not, the Auras will get the nod.

Contract cost as listed, not including Chairs, Fiber Optic, and any equipment not mentioned above? $35,000.00

The Processor will be Yamaha's Top-O-the Line 8.1 unit

...and all of this has a completion date of mid / end of January, so expect some rapid fire postings starting around Dec. 26th when I return to find all necessary framing complete and ready for some magic.

I'm off to Maui and Lani tomorrow AM (..they call...I answer...) but I will monitor this Thread should anyone care to comment, offer advice, or criticisms:p

Maurice

·
Registered
881 Posts
Dude, you got it all wrong...

It's "Joisey". They don't pronounce the "r". Having been born and raised there, I'm extremely familiar with the vernacular.

Anyway, that's quite an aggressive time-line. Wishing you luck!

Get some pix, if you can. I'm sure it rate high on the "ooooh-ahhhh" meter.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gaaahhh!

Downloaded my shots of the "Joisey":p Home Theater, only to have them disappear into nothingness when I had a PC glitch that made me have to reboot. Since the photos had downloaded ok, I had already ok'd the deletion of same on my Smart media card. But they we're not saved to a folder yet so off to quarkville they departed. :mad:

Hmmmmm....* Well, my new Dealer in Wayne, NJ will just have to go back in there and shoot some more for us..., what do ya think?

Meanwhile, since I'll be back "On Island" in about 19 hours, I'll be sure to shoot some pics of my current finished installations on Maui for you all to check out.

Oh yes, in answer to the question: "What are you?" posed two posts back, I'm a custom Design/ Installer and Factory Rep. For Invisible Stereo
http://www.invisiblestereo.com

·
Registered
291 Posts
You mentioned Wayne in you post, are you moving into that area. I live only one town north of that. Which dealer are you using?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kcarlasc,

I'm based just south of Memphis, TN in Barton, Mississippi.

I'm doing the Theater above in conjunction with my newest Dealer, and using it as a Training forum. The parent Company of the new Dealer is Samman's Electronics. Between doing various Custom installs throughout the country, I spend the rest of my time doing just that, acquiring and training Dealers.

Maurice.

PS, On Maui now..... :p :D :cool:

·
Registered
411 Posts
MississippiMan

Who is Your Memphis Dealer?

I have just purchased a 100 year old home in Midtown and am in the planning stages for a Home Theater. My wife would like whole house audio but doesn't want speakers mounted everywhere. Hopefully, there is a local dealer and we can check out the system.

Daniel

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey, we say our 'R's in Jersey!:mad:

Its only the people from out of state that Ive ever heard say Joisey!

I will admit however that we butcher the complete rest of the English language.:D

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Three cheers for Jersey,

Hip Hip smoke stacks,

Hip Hip tolls,

Hip Hip Mc-greedy

:)

tommy

·
Registered
881 Posts
Jees-Louise, guys! Didn't mean nutin' by it. Like I said, I was born and raised there so I'm sort of allowed to do that, ya know? At least I don't say "Oh yeah?... What exit?".

Mississippiman - Too funny! I've got a bud from Omaha that talks like that when's he's had a few Jim Beam and Cokes. :D

L8R,

- Ed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.