AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
I'm just terrifically happy that I bought the JVC RS57. It's easily the best performing JVC I've had, with the best features. It's performance lowers my upgraditus to a degree I haven't experienced before.

(That not to say that if JVC comes out with a projector with significant PQ upgrades that I won't be tempted. But given the usual increments in performance, I can see myself hanging on to this projector longer than usual).

·
Registered
14,461 Posts
I bought a B-stock RS4810 from AVS for a great price last year and have been very happy with it. I'm over 900 hours. I really have no urge for a new projector unless I see a good reason to in regards to UHD. Waiting for all of that to settle out.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I bought a B-stock RS4810 from AVS for a great price last year and have been very happy with it. I'm over 900 hours. I really have no urge for a new projector unless I see a good reason to in regards to UHD. Waiting for all of that to settle out.
900 hours? I did that last month ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm just terrifically happy that I bought the JVC RS57. It's easily the best performing JVC I've had, with the best features. It's performance lowers my upgraditus to a degree I haven't experienced before.

(That not to say that if JVC comes out with a projector with significant PQ upgrades that I won't be tempted. But given the usual increments in performance, I can see myself hanging on to this projector longer than usual).
Good man!

I have the JVC RS57 and feel the same way (for now!).

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the only upgrade we get is 4K I don't think I'll be buying one. I would need a performance boost in at least one or two other areas for me to make the switch. I'd like a boost in ANSI contrast, native motion performance and higher calibrated lumen output. For the next couple years (where there'll only be a small amount of 4K content out) 1080p blu-ray won't look any better on a native 4K machine if the increase in panel resolution is the only thing we get.

Let's try this logic. Many things would have to be changed just to get a set of three 4K or UHD panels to function. So other things will or would be different, whether better or worse. I've said it before and I will say it again, you will buy one. Whether you keep it for very long is entirely another issue.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Let's try this logic. Many things would have to be changed just to get a set of three 4K or UHD panels to function. So other things will or would be different, whether better or worse. I've said it before and I will say it again, you will buy one. Whether you keep it for very long is entirely another issue.
We'll have to see what they bring to the table. I'm telling you right now if there's no difference in ANSI contrast, motion, or lumen output I honestly won't be buying one.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
If they decide to go the incremental route then doing something about the input lag would be a good first start since that is a deciding point for many people. It couldn't hurt to take another look at the HDMI implementation to fix any current issues and make sure there are no new ones. Basically they need to put out a line of JVCs that fix every single bug, issue and nitpick people have. Get everything working flawlessly and then use the R&D savings to drop the price to match the Sony.

Given the lack of 4K content, I'm not really concerned if a projector has true 4K for at least a year or two. If they were going to try and shake things up I would much rather see something unexpected like managing to shrink the form factor of the projector by 10-20% while maintaining the same cooling efficiency and audible noise levels as the current models. Obviously this is unlikely but the size of these projectors do tend to limit them as an option for many, it would certainly ease mounting, and WAF alone could be what keeps the Sony out of some homes.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Seegs, it's interesting you would not go for a 4K JVC even if it had higher native CR than it's peer group. If JVC came up a true 4K projector with upscaling at least equal to Sony's would it still not interest you? What performance parameters of the Sony make you favor it?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

I pretty much agree with you. I'm very happy with my '57 and don't think I'll even be wanting to upgrade this year unless JVC bangs one out of the park (which I hope they do as competition is what we want).

·
Registered
472 Posts
If they decide to go the incremental route then doing something about the input lag would be a good first start since that is a deciding point for many people. It couldn't hurt to take another look at the HDMI implementation to fix any current issues and make sure there are no new ones. Basically they need to put out a line of JVCs that fix every single bug, issue and nitpick people have. Get everything working flawlessly and then use the R&D savings to drop the price to match the Sony.

Given the lack of 4K content, I'm not really concerned if a projector has true 4K for at least a year or two. If they were going to try and shake things up I would much rather see something unexpected like managing to shrink the form factor of the projector by 10-20% while maintaining the same cooling efficiency and audible noise levels as the current models. Obviously this is unlikely but the size of these projectors do tend to limit them as an option for many, it would certainly ease mounting, and WAF alone could be what keeps the Sony out of some homes.
The whole WAF thing drives me nuts. I am going to have my speakers and projector. Anyway woman who tries to interfere will meet her match.

·
Registered
14,461 Posts
Given the lack of 4K content, I'm not really concerned if a projector has true 4K for at least a year or two.
I completely agree with this. Even if UHD BD actually launches this year (and I am still skeptical it will), how many titles are going to be released over the next two years? And how many of those titles will actually be good movies worth buying and watching? I have zero interesting in streaming UHD, so I will be watching Blu-ray probably 95-100% of the time for movies for the next two years at least.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
The whole WAF thing drives me nuts. I am going to have my speakers and projector. Anyway woman who tries to interfere will meet her match.

You are just picking the wrong wives! :eek:I had a clause inserted into my Massey pre-nup stating I was allowed to have up to two projectors, two SVS cylinder subs and two screens, until death do we part. :D

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
We'll have to see what they bring to the table. I'm telling you right now if there's no difference in ANSI contrast, motion, or lumen output I honestly won't be buying one.
Seegs, it's interesting you would not go for a 4K JVC even if it had higher native CR than it's peer group. If JVC came up a true 4K projector with upscaling at least equal to Sony's would it still not interest you? What performance parameters of the Sony make you favor it?
JVC's biggest deficiency to me is ANSI contrast. Most bright scenes look flat and dull on JVC projectors and it is one of the reasons I sold my RS57/X700. My eyes appreciate a picture with higher ANSI contrast. Sure, I loved the higher native contrast the JVC can produce but I would give up some native contrast for a higher ANSI contrast. So, I know everybody can be different as to what is more important to them pq wise but I will only buy another JVC projector if it has increased ANSI contrast similar to the 4k Sony's, if not I will probably get a Sony.

Mike

Reactions: George Kouzev

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Because simply having a 4K imager won't do anything for PQ when watching 1080p bluray which is what most of us will be watching for the next 24 months. I've outlined some of the areas I'd like to see JVC improve in my previous posts.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
JVCs selling model is to have to sell lots of projectors and to emphasize performance parameters designed for the lower higher end masses. The press seems to equate on off CR has the highest quality parameter and that is JVCs selling strong point. ANSI contrast is a number which means nothing to the masses. The things you list Seegs are not substantial for generating sales to the masses who buy pretty much without comparing projectors. Higher end sales are based on higher on off numbers than the cheaper models. Better QC and hand selected better parts from the batch of parts all of its projectors are produced from. All projectors by JVC use the same lens. Brightness is sacrificed to some extent to achieve higher on offs in the higher price models. Not better processing, better motion handling, everything is the same. CMS is meaningless to the masses and pretty much is meaningless for the higher end sales. By a Lumagen mini I you want the better stuff. I doubt JVC will give you anything you want in the new models, if some should come. If they produce a laser pump consumer model, brightness will increase and the on off numbers will sky rocked but overall CR performance may actually suffer except for all black frames. If JVC comes out with a UHD model, look for P3. the new HDMI chips etc. It makes no sales sense to throw dollars at the stuff you want. The market that cares is miniscule. Maybe you will get a better lens for UHD and that might bump ANSI up a tad.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I'm going to stay naively optomistic. ;)

But, what Mark is saying is true. JVC pushes contrast as their units' selling feature and I'm sure they'll keep it that way. I just think to get a subjectively different (read better) picture is through improvements in those three areas; ANSI contrast, native motion, and brightness. They already have everything else down pat.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
I'm going to stay naively optomistic. ;)

But, what Mark is saying is true. JVC pushes contrast as their units' selling feature and I'm sure they'll keep it that way. I just think to get a subjectively different (read better) picture is through improvements in those three areas; ANSI contrast, native motion, and brightness. They already have everything else down pat.

I would also like to see them improve the DI and CMD, native motion is of course more important, but if they fix the vertical banding the CMD will actually be worth using.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I think it would be good if they could do something about the gamma droop which still seems to affect JVCs. I've owned a HD350 (RS10), X35 and now X500 and they all suffer from this, which ironically further reduces the image punch in bright scenes. In fact I wonder if some of the comments about poor ANSI contrast are actually caused by gamma droop.

Lucky for me I own a Lumagen 2041 which can easily correct this issue, but it would be better if it wasn't there in the first place (especially when it wasn't during the first few hours).

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
I think it would be good if they could do something about the gamma droop which still seems to affect JVCs. I've owned a HD350 (RS10), X35 and now X500 and they all suffer from this, which ironically further reduces the image punch in bright scenes. In fact I wonder if some of the comments about poor ANSI contrast are actually caused by gamma droop.

Lucky for me I own a Lumagen 2041 which can easily correct this issue, but it would be better if it wasn't there in the first place (especially when it wasn't during the first few hours).

I have not noticed this on my X500, but a friends X500 had this after 150hours. I have just bought some calibration hardware and will soon buy the software to calibrate myself and will see of mine has it. I have not noticed (by eye) it on mine and it has around 150hours on it. I think this is some sort of degredation of some part in the JVC and if it is stable after this it is not a big problem for me either as I have a eeColor to correct mine. Compared to my earlier VW1100 the JVC could look a bit flat in brighter scenes, but I have not noticed any big change in this during the hours I have used it, it will be interesting to measure it when I get my calibration equipment complete.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts

I have not noticed this on my X500, but a friends X500 had this after 150hours. I have just bought some calibration hardware and will soon buy the software to calibrate myself and will see of mine has it. I have not noticed (by eye) it on mine and it has around 150hours on it. I think this is some sort of degredation of some part in the JVC and if it is stable after this it is not a big problem for me either as I have a eeColor to correct mine. Compared to my earlier VW1100 the JVC could look a bit flat in brighter scenes, but I have not noticed any big change in this during the hours I have used it, it will be interesting to measure it when I get my calibration equipment complete.

While it is true all JVC models suffer from this gamma droop, the latest models have a great JVC Autocalibration feature (free software) which entirely solves it, without the need to use an external VP. The only thing you need to purchase is a Spyder 4 Pro, which isn't the most accurate or reliable meter but which does a very good job at correcting the gamma droop.

Cine4home has reported on it here: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.cine4home.de/knowhow/JVC_DLA_X500_X700_X900_Autokalibrierung/JVC_X-Serie_Autokalibrierung_X500.htm&prev=search

Getting a good Spyder 4 Pro is a bit of a lottery, but its inaccuracy mostly matters for gamut. For gamma, and especially to correct the gamma droop, any unit will do a great job.

Even if you have a Radiance, correcting the gamma droop in the projector helps to get better results as the radiance doesn't have to correct as much. I also noticed it optimizes peak white, therefore improving on/off contrast.

I was able to get a near perfect gamut and gamma using the JVC software, which gave me a great baseline for MadVR and its 64x64x64 3D LUT. I don't use a Radiance anymore and even my non MadVR corrected sources are very accurate thanks to the JVC Autocal.

501 - 520 of 550 Posts