AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new preliminary data from JVC in the attachments. The hybrid feedback amp is in "Ver III". See attached slides. Finally, the 702 tentative data sheet shows bannana screw type binding posts for all 7.1 speaker channels.

HFDA.pdf 487.3486328125k . file

RX-D702.pdf 328.130859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Interesting. Two things stand out to me. The ad copy for the 202 and 302 on the JVC site both list "Hybrid Feedback Digital Amplifier Ver. III", but the attached slides only mention the 402 and 702 on top. Do you know if the 202 and 302 use a different chip or power supply technology than the 402 and 702? Does that set of slides also contain any information about the cheaper receivers?

I'm trying to get a handle on the differences between these receivers, to see which one (if any) is right for my system. My idea receiver would have a slim profile, "digital amps", and 5-10 bands of parametric EQ that are user-adjustable for center frequency and Q on all 8 channels, but that doesn't seem to exist from JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, H/K, Yamaha or anyone else at any price. Particularly, given my lack of concern for having the latest-greatest video (I'm an audiophile who happens to own a TV, basically) I was wondering if the 402/702 really offered anything for me over and above the 302.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was just about to order the 702b from Vanns. They have it as a "pre-order" deal. Cheapest place on the net that I can find it for pre-order. Hopefully it comes out in a couple of weeks.

This is my second A/V receiver purchase. The first being a Gateway HTIB deal that fried on me a few months ago. The speakers that I have are 6.1, so I guess I can only use them in 5.1 with this setup unless I can get a 7th speaker right?

I like the HDMI output and upconversion that the 702 has. I can plug in my TV signal and my DVD player into 1 recever and it will output it to the plasma on 1 cable (but I won't be using the tv's speakers.) I know it won't convert a 480p to 720p signal, but just enables an svideo signal to go over hdmi instead of having multiple outputs to the TV.

Here's hoping its worth it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_veloce
What does "Sirius input" mean? I'm not familiar with how this is supposed to work.
It means you can hook your Sirius satellite radio up to the receiver, and the remote will control it as well. I don't know how Sirius connects, but I know my XM radio has composit audio jacks to connect to any receiver or TV.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Re: Sirius. There are now some receivers that are XM ready. What this means is that they have an XM receiver built in. All you do is add an antenna and you can tune to the XM stations. Maybe Sirius has something similar.

All XM and Sirus radios can easily be plugged in to a receiver via any open input.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too am interested in these JVC receivers. My set only has one DVI input, so I am hoping that one of these HDMI receivers can help simplify my connections.

I have a few questions that someone might help me with.

I know that some of these questions might be premature, since the receivers are not on the market yet.

My television will stretch the signal from my Samsung DVD player (DVD HD 850 with the upscale over component hack) that is 720p or 1080i. I think that these receivers will upconvert to HD resolutions. Is there a way to defeat the upconversion and just keep the hdmi connection so that the picture is not stretched?

My set is a Sharp LC37HV6U LCD TV.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the 702 is due out in early September.

As far as what I've been reading on these and my understanding of it's "upconversion" is that it only takes the signal say from component, and converts it to hdmi.

So if you have a 480i signal, it'll still be 480i throught the hdmi, it won't go to 720p. It's like a converter cable, so you only need 1 cable connected to the tv (the hdmi cable)

Does that make any sense?

Also, this is what one of the documents says, but it doesn't say much:

Video Up-Conversion (to HDMI) for single-cable output of high-quality video from any input terminals

This is what the JVC Ad reads in the August issue of Maxim (how I heard about it):

JVC's RX-D702 Full Digital Receiver features a slim new style and improves performance. A built in 7-channel Hybrid Feedback Digital Amplifier produces a room-shaking 1050 watts of clean power, while the HDMI digital Video upconversion allows a single cable to connect your receiver and TV in full digital. This single HDMI cable provides the highest video fidelity available. And, the RX-D702 even has wireless connectivity for your PC, allowing you to use your PC from across the room to wirelessly transmit your music to the receiver - all in full digital.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It sounds like the 702 "transcodes the signal" and does not do upconversion. I wonder why would they include the Faroujda chip? Isn't is used for upconversion?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcomdial
It sounds like the 702 "transcodes the signal" and does not do upconversion. I wonder why would they include the Faroujda chip? Isn't is used for upconversion?

I haven't heard that it includes the Faroujda chip for sure, just a rumor. Isn't it?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Does the 702 have an audio delay feature to compensate for lip sync problems with HDTV?

·
Registered
879 Posts
You may also want to check J and R Music World for these.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman
You may also want to check J and R Music World for these.
J and R charges shipping. vanns is including ground shipping for the same price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
FYI: J and R just increased their pre-order price to full retail. Vanns is the only place I can find it for less. Just pre-ordered mine, hope it goes through at that price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the RX-D401S if anyone has any questions about it. I'm not a total audiophile so I don't know how much intimate detail I can offer.

I haven't messed with the upconversion yet - I'm all HDMI right now.

I have an Oppo DVD player and HiDef Tivo plugged into the HDMI.

One HDMI and One Component is assignable, so you can have component going to the VCR input and HDMI going to the DBS input.

Audio over HDMI is working, but I haven't found a Dolby Digital signal on Directv yet to see if it does Dolby Digital over HDMI.

Configuration was a little confusing with no onscreen, but I got it setup.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.