1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
729 Posts
Gary: I have been visiting Best Buy, and no one has a clue about these sets, despite JVC's claim of January availability for the 58" set. There don't seem to be any knowledgable manager types, just clueless floor salespeople. Emails to JVC and Costco have also gone unanswered, and the JVC Customer Care line is similarly useless.

I started a thread with some review info, here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779360

I was pretty certain that I would get the 65" in March, assuming it gets good reviews. Some second thoughts, though, as I reflect on what lies around the corner in this rapidly evolving technology. I have to believe that JVC will only offer slim rear projection sets going forward; no sense reverting to the giant boxes. I also think that the S998 series may be the last generation of JVC LCoS sets with bulbs. LED technology is rapidly improving, has already shown up in Samsung and Nuvision sets, and was demonstrated (see visitor comment below) at CES. The instant on, extremely long life, wider color gamut, and reduced power of solid state lighting are very attractive. The next commercial rear projector release from JVC (after the S998 sets) will also be likely to adopt the wire grid polarizers of the DLA-HD1 front projector, with its native 15,000:1 CR. Combine this with LED current control for a dynamic iris, and you get to the 1,000,000:1 CR mentioned in the above thread. Overkill, but should result in fantastic blacks.

Comment by someone who saw the LED / wire grid polarizer set at CES:

LED HD-ILA

This was by far the showstopper. It was displaying The Corpse Bride with blacks that looked like Black. I asked the tech rep about the contrast ratio. He smiled, "It's 1,000,000:1." The picture was beautiful. I wish I could have seen a clip with more color and wider tonal range to really test what it really could do.

Excerpt from JVC news release:

LED HD-ILA

Replacing the current high-pressure mercury lamp in JVC's rear projection HD-ILA televisions with LEDs would provide quick start and extremely long product life. The wide color range allows for flexible color management. Combined with the latest wire grid-based optical engine and latest D-ILA devices, it achieves a startlingly high contrast ratio.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS, Kevin. Nice info . . .

·
Registered
654 Posts
Does anyone know if the remotes for these will work with the current Fx97 models? They have direct access to the inputs on them. I don't really want any high priced universal remote right now, I just want the OEM with these for my 70FH97. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz /forum/post/0

Just curious if any specifications (e.g., size, weight, inputs, etc.) are available yet for the upcoming JVC HD-58S998 (Jan.) or HD-65S998 (Mar.)?

Just out of curiosity I printed out the image of the 58 inch model off the JVC website and took measurements with a ruler. Using the screen size as a scale gauge, I get overall dimensions of 51.9 by 36.6 inches. Very compact for a 58 inch screen, hardly bigger than my 52. As Kevin says, add in LED and killer contrast and the future looks GOOOOOD.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/0

Just out of curiosity I printed out the image of the 58 inch model off the JVC website and took measurements with a ruler. Using the screen size as a scale gauge, I get overall dimensions of 51.9 by 36.6 inches. Very compact for a 58 inch screen, hardly bigger than my 52. As Kevin says, add in LED and killer contrast and the future looks GOOOOOD.

OH man...if it's anywhere under 53" wide it'll be GOLDEN! I can then settle on a 58" set that will fit in my TV cutout in the house. Was going to get a current 61" and have it set out a little from my entertainment nook since I didn't want a 56". But I'll take the extra 2" with the 58". WOO HOO! I'll be waiting one more year for a TV anyway, so hopefully the LED's will be out by then.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any further word on the remotes working with the current gen JVC's? The current ones support discrete codes, but only don't have them on the remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are some specs of the 65'

The Competitive Advantage