AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on non-anamorphic discs that aren't flagged right, the new S500BK dvd player WILL NOT let you remove the zoom icon. I've tried everything : angle/top menu/slow + or minus plus return/return...even entering in an invalid chapter #. This is a pretty annoying issue.....so many of my favorite Criterion dvd's aren't properly flagged (NONE of the 1:85/1:77 Criterions seem to be).

is there a service menu item that can tweak this?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Is this the only model that has that problem????????? I was interested in the 600, but not if it has the same problem. Have the new models resloved the sub-title problems.....

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the new players resolve the subtitle problem, but add this one.

not sure if i'm replacing it with a RP91 Panasonic yet. i'm trying to learn if that player has some sort of successful zoom function that can be used with improperly flagged nonanamorphic titles.

at the end of the day, it's really the studios' faults that, especially early on, they weren't paying attention to flagging, let alone giving some of their highest profile titles 16:9 enhancement (criterion is the biggest offender so far, as far as flagging goes AND early 16:9 adoption..believe it or not) ........ it's actually a blessing that the JVC scales properly flagged titles and makes them look pretty good ona 16:9 screen. I guess I'll use my tv's zoom mode in interlaced for improperly flagged titles...but if Criterion's Silence of the Lambs and Robocop are any indication, it's not going to be a pretty sight.

guess MGM just got $35 richer :)

oleus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.