AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 13667 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am still chuckling about the ladder comment though. I mean, how lazy is someone to whine about crawling up on a ladder once a year to change a bulb.
Using emotionally loaded words much?

"lazy", "whine"

People get older. What once was trivial/easy becomes more difficult.

People with physical disabilities also might like their movies.

Independence from how often they must ask for help is also valuable for many people.

...It would be easy to go on.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Wow, must have been a physics professor to squeeze 2000yrs into 10mos.....time warping! Still aside from some comments earlier that NEW bulbs are not as bright as original, the costs (bulbs) seem modest when compared to paying the huge cost of the 4500.

As I've said above, it's not the cost of lamps that bothers me, but the decay in the brightness and calibration of lamp pj's. I would be happy with a 12 ft wide (my current HP screen) Samsung OLED 'wall' if it were feasible. Lacking that, the RS4500 is at present the best alternative to a super large screen tv.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Holy crap, where have you been??
Moved from Chi-Town area down south to the Knoxville (that's TN-USA for you "foreigners" :p ) and just now coming up for AIR! I'm still theaterless at this point but a work in progress (hope to be done by Winter). ;)

Thx to everyone for the well wishes (including the PM's!). Nice to be "home" again ("home" defined as a Vortex wallet sucking cavern of indecision & uncertainty!)! :D

So... am I correct in seeing on the sell-sheets (or not seeing I should say!), the new 4K line has dropped 3D support?? :eek: I have soooo much invested (including our level of enjoyment), it'd be a serious consideration/hesitation for me (maybe selling the RS500 at a major loss to get the new RS540 and keeping 3D is my better path at this point). :confused:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That's your prerogative. :) If I used my projector as a main source of viewing I would be more "sensitive" about bulb replacement. Mine is used for movies only, so it's not as big of a concern as someone who racks up thousands of hours a year. That being said; bulb replacement is not the driving force behind projector purchases.

I am still chuckling about the ladder comment though. I mean, how lazy is someone to whine about crawling up on a ladder once a year to change a bulb. These must be the same people with concrete lawns. Hell, most of my home lighting is LED and I still end up having to change them out at least once a year.
IMO there are many reasons why the laser is superior. Not in the least the quality of the light source, it's more stable/steady making for a much more pleasant viewing experience.

·
Vendor
26,675 Posts
Questions:
Wait a week or two and see if the X790R drops to $4k or wait for the 2019 models? Thats your choice ;) X790R is no slouch, what a machine !
What is the MSRP of the entry native 4K projector? Guessing that's the N5 model? RS1000/N5 - $5999 RS2000/N7 - $7999 RS3000/N9 - $17999

Thanks in advance.
There ya go ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,837 Posts
Moved from Chi-Town area down south to the Knoxville (that's TN-USA for you "foreigners" :p ) and just now coming up for AIR! I'm still theaterless at this point but a work in progress (hope to be done by Winter). ;)

Thx to everyone for the well wishes (including the PM's!). Nice to be "home" again ("home" defined as a Vortex wallet sucking cavern of indecision & uncertainty!)! :D

So... am I correct in seeing on the sell-sheets (or not seeing I should say!), the new 4K line has dropped 3D support?? :eek: I have soooo much invested (including our level of enjoyment), it'd be a serious consideration/hesitation for me (maybe selling the RS500 at a major loss to get the new RS540 and keeping 3D is my better path at this point). :confused:
Hi Kevin, nice to see you here!

No the 3D is still here in the new models, it's on the specs sheets, same emitter/glasses, no worries! :)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
IMO there are many reasons why the laser is superior. Not in the least the quality of the light source, it's more stable/steady making for a much more pleasant viewing experience.
100% agree..:)

Its one of the most noticeable improvements i noticed going from my X9500/X9900 to the Z1/RS4500.

A good friend noticed the same thing going from his X9500 to the Sony 760ES...

I would find it hard to go back to a Bulb based PJ.

JVC are onto a winner with the NX9..BUT when they release ( and they will! :D ) the NX9 "with" Laser they will have hit a "Home Run" ! :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
As I've said above, it's not the cost of lamps that bothers me, but the decay in the brightness and calibration of lamp pj's. I would be happy with a 12 ft wide (my current HP screen) Samsung OLED 'wall' if it were feasible. Lacking that, the RS4500 is at present the best alternative to a super large screen tv.

Yup

And I'd agree 100%. I loved the image the Epson 10.5 threw but wasn't willing to accept some of the other trade offs. That's why I would have loved to see a 1080 laser from JVC. I think they could have hit that one out of the park.

Reactions: mbw23air

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Using emotionally loaded words much?

"lazy", "whine"

People get older. What once was trivial/easy becomes more difficult.

People with physical disabilities also might like their movies.

Independence from how often they must ask for help is also valuable for many people.

...It would be easy to go on.

Emotionally loaded words? I call them adjectives, but ok.

If it's that big of a deal, mount it on a shelf. Sheesh.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts

No the 3D is still here in the new models, it's on the specs sheets, same emitter/glasses, no worries! :)

3D is alive and well Kev - the reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated ... :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can’t you get a Panny 820 to do this? Though you can’t route the Apple 4k via it. Or do you mean you wish it was onboard the projector for streaming sources?
I currently have my DirectV (HD - Only) going to the input of my OPPO which is a wired cable. I ran the fiber cable to the PJ from the Apple 4K and may have to reverse that to use the OPPO 203 for Tone Mapping it. Boy am I glad I got the OPPO before it's price went crazy. Another great recommendation from John Schuerman who sold me my RS-640. He gave me some guides he got from Kris on how to use the OPPO for this. I just need to take some time to do it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
100% agree..:)

Its one of the most noticeable improvements i noticed going from my X9500/X9900 to the Z1/RS4500.

A good friend noticed the same thing going from his X9500 to the Sony 760ES...

I would find it hard to go back to a Bulb based PJ.

JVC are onto a winner with the NX9..BUT when they release ( and they will! :D ) the NX9 "with" Laser they will have hit a "Home Run" ! :)
It will be a RS4600K :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

Oh awesome (I was sent the main sheet but it wasn't till I went on the website under 'Specs..." did I see any mention of "3D")! ;)

Thx Manni (good to be back... I think!) :D

(I need to have a sideline convo w/ you about upgrading from the 7200WA to 8500H like I heard/read you did??)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yup, I get it. But in the thread someone mentioned that with age the imager ALSO loses contrast and brightness. I would assume similar technology is used for the imager in the 4500.
I have not heard anything about the Samsung wall since CES. Did it ever see the light of day as a related product?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.

But I'm not sure that is what he really wanted to ask / the true intent of his question.

I think his question is "Will the tone mapping built into the JVC be good enough that I might as well sell the Lumagen?"

Since that would allow him to throw those dollars 'retrieved' from the Lumagen into paying for / justifying the new projector.

However, the Lumagen does much more, is capable of much more, than just tone mapping. E.g., it almost certainly has better upscaling performance than the JVC would.

So it gets down to "Sell it, or not, based on whether or not in your judgement it would still be providing sufficient advantages across to board to justify keeping it.".

Sorry, no "easy button" answers to be had in this game. :)
Nailed it! Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good enough is relative to the user. If you are asking me, no, the JVC tone mapping will not be particularly good by my standards. I would not personally use it. Its no different to what it is now, it will just adjust a little each time a movie is played. The lumagen is a far more powerful tone mapping solution.
I can easily agree with all that.

IMO, for anyone who actually uses all that a Lumagen can do, selling it would inevitably, eventually, result in regret.

I found an earlier generation Lumagen near invaluable with my RS35. It was really a necessary accessory to bring out all that that year's JVC was capable of. However, with the upgrade to the RS640 I did not feel compelled to shell out the bucks for a 4k capable new generation Lumagen unit. Yes, I could benefit from one - just past my personal point of diminishing returns for cost vs. performance gain.

But then again, I'm completely comfortable starting with your curves (thank you), tweaking them as needed for my projector/screen/room, and also having/using the panoply of instruments and software for final cal.
Thanks for your inputs. Helps me make the decision.

3201 - 3220 of 13667 Posts