AVS Forum banner

5001 - 5020 of 13667 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gents- sorry if I missed this info...has anyone seen pics of the RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 projectors? Do they have 2 HDMI or 3? Please advise.

It's challenging to try to have several sources and only 2 HDMI's; my AVR is at the front of my room and I am concerned about running a 30ft HDMI and adding noise and unwanted video artifacts - so I try to stay near the projector with the source DTV, Fire Stick, Blu-Ray etc. for the fewest possible problems but only two sources can be plugged in my 9900...frustrating and I don't have any experience with splitters...not sure if I want to use them - any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Gents- sorry if I missed this info...has anyone seen pics of the RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5 projectors? Do they have 2 HDMI or 3? Please advise.

It's challenging to try to have several sources and only 2 HDMI's; my AVR is at the front of my room and I am concerned about running a 30ft HDMI and adding noise and unwanted video artifacts - so I try to stay near the projector with the source DTV, Fire Stick, Blu-Ray etc. for the fewest possible problems but only two sources can be plugged in my 9900...frustrating and I don't have any experience with splitters...not sure if I want to use them - any thoughts?
You need to buy a fiber optic HDMI. Zero noise due to fiber optic cable and no video artifacts. I use a 50ft fiber optic to my projector and it works perfectly.

My recommendation is Ruipro. I own about five of them along with a Celerity and mono price fiber optic 75ft. All work beautifully.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts

Looking at the images on the JVC website, it appears they have two HDMI ports.

http://www.us.jvc.com/projectors/front/dla_nx7/

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
The video just posted with Vincent's review showed 47ms. Timestamped below.

https://youtu.be/i2XCR4Zy68k?t=10m33s
Thats a Z1.

Before even the eshift units got Low Latency mode.

The most recent latency figures are 37ms.

Based on that, I dont believe either are correct.

I personally think it will be under 40ms.

EDIT - Just read MORE clearly, and realised you guys did specifically ask about the Z1's initially, sorry, my bad.

Yes, Vincent is right.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I would say to believe Javs.

He has proven reliable with numbers, ruthless with screenshots and hence has built a reputation.

Guess one could say he has mastered his three R's. :)
I actually wouldnt dare go up against Vincent!

Still, The Z1 is literally JVC's first implementation of low latency mode.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Thats a Z1.

Vincent says the e-Shift units are 27ms when fed a UHD signal. :) So many numbers!!!

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Vincent says the e-Shift units are 27ms when fed a UHD signal. :) So many numbers!!!
I actually didnt realise you guys WERE asking about the 4500 specifically sorry.

The X20 models are 37ms. So that's my 9500... But yes, that's measured with 1080p I suppose. If its even less in UHD input, that's great.

I dont know how he did that though, and I bet the Z1 was measured in 1080p which means the Z1 is upscaling, which equals processing time and lag... Need to test native resolution. Leo Bodnar LITERALLY only just released a 4k input lag tested, so not sure how he tested UHD properly.

Moral of the Story, I honestly believe you guys wont know you are looking at 30 vs 40ms when playing a game.

Keeping it 2 frames and under is the trick.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thats a Z1.

EDIT - Just read MORE clearly, and realised you guys did specifically ask about the Z1's initially, sorry, my bad.

Yes, Vincent is right.
Yeah we were replying to the post saying the Z1 was under 40 (since it uses a native 4k panel). No problems, I am hoping 37 or less as well. I am at 22ms now, 1 frame extra probably wouldn't be too bad but I don't know if I want to much higher than that =) I would hope since they spelled out there was input lag reduction in the advertising it would be 37ms or lower.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Yeah we were replying to the post saying the Z1 was under 40 (since it uses a native 4k panel). No problems, I am hoping 37 or less as well. I am at 22ms now, 1 frame extra probably wouldn't be too bad but I don't know if I want to much higher than that =) I would hope since they spelled out there was input lag reduction in the advertising it would be 37ms or lower.
See my edited post above.

Vincent tested 1080p on a native 4k projector.

That will include extra lag vs native 4k :)

There is processing going on.

Agree, really hope its under 40ms. I really think it will be.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Is it possible that some of us are more susceptible to input lag than others? I want the lowest input lag possible, I fully believe it makes a difference.

We have a ton of posts on contrast, iris, flicker, syncing, etc..etc...etc... all things that bother some people more than others. The input lag just happens to bother a few of us.
It absolutely bothers me too.

But I think a mouse is the ultimate lag tester, you sure as heck notice lag with a mouse well before any game controller. 50+ ms feels drunk. 132ms on the old e shift units was insanely unusable where I almost couldn't accurately even click on anything without stopping hovering over it for a good half second.

40ms seriously feels like essentially no lag is happening. That tells me that somewhere around 2 frames or under is the magic mark.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Glasses will probably work, but you would need a JVC emitter. Now how well the glasses work, partly depends on your screen. If your screen retains polarization, then brightness can vary, as you move your head.
Why would your screen need to retain polarization for active shutter glasses? There is no polarizer on the projector output, and hence none of significance on the screen itself. The glasses are showing eye sequential alternating frames, which the glasses block with an active LC lens, no?

Or is this a passive glasses system with a polarization module in front of the lens?

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Raphael Vogt is a known calibrator in germany. I don't think he is an AVS member, because he hates forums. ;)

You can try the contact information on his website
http://www.av-consultant.de/impressum.html
Thanks. I reached out to him with some questions. Let's see if we get some details.

Hi, I posted this earlier, the UB900 requires one of the HDFury devices to engage the SDR/BT2020 tone mapping. The new UB820 that was just released allows the tone mapping right out of the box.

One of the big shootout comparisons will be the JVC tone mapping vs. the excellent UB820. The best case scenario would be great tone mapping on the JVC so any UHD source can be used.
In addition, I would like to add to that comparison a carefully crafted custom curve from Javs, Manni and others that are skilled in the art.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mother! I was prepared for a huge box, but that is HUGE.:eek:
Nah. It's dinky. Ask Craig.

==
Yeah, it is about as big in the cross section as the 4500 but not as long.

That's been discussed in this thread, ummm, a fair bit back.
What, you didn't start from the beginning to keep/catch up with the rest of us!? :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Banish that man from the forum.

This is no place for a man who reasons like that.
@griffindodd , since this thread is so slow, here's a blast from the past showing that there is nothing new under the sun.

Only throwing a better image of that sun. :)

This was in response to a post by @Bytehoven about a decade ago:
"A near infinite permutation of judgement calls is made in this game. As such, every individual must make their own decisions about what can, and cannot, be compromised and which assorted tradeoffs combine to be "good enough"."

== edit
For more amusement, consider the full text of that post I wrote then, to a recent post above where I stated "I live in a bat cave".

Reckon it's pretty obvious I succumbed to the addiction. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What I'd like to know is what is the real difference in native contrast between the NX5, NX7, and NX9 when all are in low lamp, static iris wide open? Is it the clamping down/depth of the static iris in the NX7 and NX9 that give it the better contrast figures than the NX5?

Let's take a step back. If someone is using these for HDR, then presumably the iris will be wide open for max light output. Then is the difference in native contrast between the three machines going to be negligible?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
@griffindodd , since this thread is so slow, here's a blast from the past showing that there is nothing new under the sun.

Only throwing a better image of that sun. :)

This was in response to a post by @Bytehoven about a decade ago:
"A near infinite permutation of judgement calls is made in this game. As such, every individual must make their own decisions about what can, and cannot, be compromised and which assorted tradeoffs combine to be "good enough"."

== edit
For more amusement, consider the full text of that post I wrote then, to a recent post above where I stated "I live in a bat cave".

Reckon it's pretty obvious I succumbed to the addiction. :laugh:
Indeed. All I do know for sure is that I have my theater room and bar to complete before I can even think of picking out equipment appropriate for the room and my goals. At least as long as I am in this situation then I have a good excuse for infinite window shopping without ever having to make a decision.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What I'd like to know is what is the real difference in native contrast between the NX5, NX7, and NX9 when all are in low lamp, static iris wide open? Is it the clamping down/depth of the static iris in the NX7 and NX9 that give it the better contrast figures than the NX5?

Let's take a step back. If someone is using these for HDR, then presumably the iris will be wide open for max light output. Then is the difference in native contrast between the three machines going to be negligible?
"presumably", but not assuredly.

For the first few hundred hours on my RS640 I ran at iris -4, then at -2. All while maintaining at or just above 30fL which satisfied me for HDR.

Not all of us want to generate heat waves from the potency of our light output. Some want to keep the best achievable black level. Even for HDR.

== edit
All in low lamp mode to hit that 30fL.

In another several hundred hours on the bulb I'll need to switch to high lamp mode for HDR.
Few hundred hours to a thousand hours after that, will be time for new bulb and start all over. :)

All predicated on the output from the bulb following a 'normal'/'standard' lifespan of light output versus age curve.

·
Registered
18,159 Posts
Nah. It's dinky. Ask Craig.

==
Yeah, it is about as big in the cross section as the 4500 but not as long.

That's been discussed in this thread, ummm, a fair bit back.
What, you didn't start from the beginning to keep/catch up with the rest of us!? :D
Ha ! Ya, size matters. I had to rebuild my projector closet to get my RS4500 to fit, so don't complain !

5001 - 5020 of 13667 Posts