AVS Forum banner

6281 - 6300 of 13667 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before but are there any 50 feet HDMI cables that are compatible with these new projectors??? I'm currently using a Sony HW50ES and 159 inched Dalite HP screen. My current cable works fine but I'm considering upgrading to one of these new projectors solely for 4K and want to make sure I have the right cable. Also could someone post where/who I could preorder one of these new projectors from at the best price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before but are there any 50 feet HDMI cables that are compatible with these new projectors??? I'm currently using a Sony HW50ES and 159 inched Dalite HP screen. My current cable works fine but I'm considering upgrading to one of these new projectors solely for 4K and want to make sure I have the right cable. Also could someone post where/who I could preorder one of these new projectors from at the best price?

Thanks!
Monoprice SlimRun AV Fiber Optic 50-foot is: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024018&p_id=21567&seq=1&format=2

And it's @ARROW-AV tested/certified.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

Thanks!
See this post from Arrow and its links.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/2834097-test-reports-hdmi-cables-properly-reliably-support-18gbps-hdmi-2-0b.html#post52755273

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
My room is entirely covered in velvet, floor walls ceiling and door. Even made diy magnetic masking panels are covered with velvet. A literal black hole....lol
That's my goal! Just finished surface wrapping 10 x 8' tall diffusers in velvet. They only took about two years to build... gulp.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,406 Posts
No, gamma droop actually increases the brightness in the 20-60% range (higher gamma -> lower mid range brightness, and vice versatility).
If the two (RS500/RS640) are set up correctly in the same room on the same screen and switched back and forth, you are not going to be able to tell which is which, especially if the dynamic iris is turned on. You are seeing a difference due to setup and or differences in room.
On various crawls I've seen several examples of both. Properly setup I can't say I've seen a ton of difference between the RS5xx and RS6xx. The room and iris settings seem to have more impact than the differences in models.
Ok guys, thank you. I'm going to assume my differences were based on the fact that the RS500 suffered from gamma droop and autocal was never run. I think this can be further verified by the user having to set brightness around -10 to get it "better". I'll assume the RS500 needs a serious calibration and is not representative of what my new RS3000 will look like.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,406 Posts
I've seen a number of posts regarding the NX5 being a side-grade to the X790 but I'm wondering how big of a step up it will be from an X550.
My current setup is a JVC X550, 14' from a 115" screen in a completely light controlled room.

Of course, I also have the option of buying the X790 at a terrific price.

Choices... choices... choices!

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Personally, I think the 14 feet from 115" is too far for 4K. x550 to N5 is going to be similar brightness and contrast with 4K and tone mapping. But you wont benefit from 4K unless you move your seating to about 7 feet. So I think going to an x790 would be a far bigger upgrade over your x550.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
The 540 is a great projector, but with all of the improvements, I would take an RS1000 over it, if money is not an issue. One, because I use an A-lens and two, because the AV world is going 4k HDR and the 1000 has a clear advantage there. The usual response to that is, but I can do custom curves with the 540. Yes you can and when the lamp dims, you can do them again and again. That will be a pain to do. With the new models, you adjust the slider control as the lamp dims. Also you need at least two custom curves. Good luck teaching the wife and kids how to determine which custom curve to use.
Wow we massively disagree here. I think the RS1000 will be a noticeable downgrade over an RS540 for almost anyone in most cases. This is coming from the guy that's struggled with a Sony 675ES native 4k most the year and couldn't get over the massive loss of contrast. The RS1000 will probably have double the contrast of my 675ES, but the RS540 will have 3x the contrast of the RS1000. No usb port or lens memory is going to help this problem. ANSI contrast boost seems like its not enough to even be noticeable. But that RS1000 has 3 times the contrast of an RS1000 it honestly won't be that close. And that's going to be by far the most noticeable thing at any seating distance. Listing all the nice-to-haves in a comparison list just adds a ton of clutter and honestly makes it *harder* to tell which one someone should buy. Absolutely no one is going to really care about that USB port when making a projector buying decision. They may appreciate it once they own a projector and have to do a fw update but that is it.

So yes, for most people upgrading and comparing RS540 to RS1000, the decision is basically, do I want native 4k at 3x the contrast hit or not. Nothing else.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Ok guys, thank you. I'm going to assume my differences were based on the fact that the RS500 suffered from gamma droop and autocal was never run. I think this can be further verified by the user having to set brightness around -10 to get it "better". I'll assume the RS500 needs a serious calibration and is not representative of what my new RS3000 will look like.
Yep thats what it sounds like to me.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Wow we massively disagree here. I think the RS1000 will be a noticeable downgrade over an RS540 for almost anyone in most cases. This is coming from the guy that's struggled with a Sony 675ES native 4k most the year and couldn't get over the massive loss of contrast. The RS1000 will probably have double the contrast of my 675ES, but the RS540 will have 3x the contrast of the RS1000. No usb port or lens memory is going to help this problem. ANSI contrast boost seems like its not enough to even be noticeable. But that RS1000 has 3 times the contrast of an RS1000 it honestly won't be that close. And that's going to be by far the most noticeable thing at any seating distance. Listing all the nice-to-haves in a comparison list just adds a ton of clutter and honestly makes it *harder* to tell which one someone should buy. Absolutely no one is going to really care about that USB port when making a projector buying decision. They may appreciate it once they own a projector and have to do a fw update but that is it.

So yes, for most people upgrading and comparing RS540 to RS1000, the decision is basically, do I want native 4k at 3x the contrast hit or not. Nothing else.
Before 4K JVC - Contrast over Resolution
After JK JVC - Resolution over Contrast

There were soooo many discussions and arguments about this over the years.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
That's my goal! Just finished surface wrapping 10 x 8' tall diffusers in velvet. They only took about two years to build... gulp.
It is worth it in the end, words can't describe it is a whole new experience. Specially sci fi, room disappears.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
After JK JVC - Resolution over Contrast

Thats why I am waiting for an 8K panel that reverse eshifts to 4K...awesome contrast and nobody cares about 8k resolution anyways since the human eye can't see the difference versus 4k. Wait...what just happened????? :p:D

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
After 4K JVC - Resolution over Contrast

Sorry, but no one is saying that. I think many/most of us are disagreeing with this.
The discussion applied massively to Sony projectors where contrast was like 500% better on the JVC. When comparing say an N5 to an RS540, the contrast difference is like 66%. So far no one is arguing contrast is lesser than resolution. I think the question is whether or not 66% contrast difference is going to be noticeable. No one is disputing that 500% loss in contrast to go 4K is worth it. It's clearly not.

I think the majority of us in here are even saying that JVC's N5 at 1/3 the contrast of an RS540 may not be worth it. Certainly if you follow the recommendations in this thread, most are recommending x790 / RS540 over N5's for this very reason. So I don't get why you'd chime in with that comment. It totally applied when it was being argued against the super low contrast Sonys. It doesnt really apply in here.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Sorry, but no one is saying that. I think many/most of us are disagreeing with this.
The discussion applied massively to Sony projectors where contrast was like 500% better on the JVC. When comparing say an N5 to an RS540, the contrast difference is like 60%. So far no one is arguing contrast is lesser than resolution. I think the question is whether or not 60% contrast difference is going to be noticeable. No one is disputing that 500% loss in contrast to go 4K is worth it. It's clearly not.

I think the majority of us in here are even saying that JVC's N5 at 1/3 the contrast of an RS540 may not be worth it. Certainly if you follow the recommendations in this thread, most are recommending x790 / RS540 over N5's for this very reason. So I don't get why you'd chime in with that comment. It totally applied when it was being argued against the super low contrast Sonys. It doesnt really apply in here.
Maybe I misunderstood the tone of the thread, which is possible as I have only skimmed over it. I just felt that is what was being implied. Regardless, we just need to get these out in the wild so the speculation can end.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It can also be how far his walls are from the screen.. if they are close then you get tons of reflections..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
26,647 Posts
Yes, I can get a 790 for 2grand less than an N5, pretty amazing really. And I would bet I have the darkest room on the forum so that contrast will not go to waste. I think my mind is made up just trying to get someone to change my mind...lol Besides I never thought I needed a sharper image with my JVC X500 just brighter, my Elunevison 4k 1 gain screen is really nice, no artifacts super smooth but it seems to suck up light.lol
You have the darkest room on the forum, man we will have to think of a test for that...lol

Some will agree and Some will not. Numbers do not lie so we will know soon enough ;)

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the tone of the thread, which is possible as I have only skimmed over it. I just felt that is what was being implied. Regardless, we just need to get these out in the wild so the speculation can end.
The eshift JVC's can throw an image 90% as sharp as the lamp 4K Sony's for movies, but with 10x more native contrast ad 5x more dynamic contrast... Thats a non starter. Too big of an shift to gain 10% sharpness but give up all the contrast delta. This is the argument we have always made vs Sony's options in the past.

The new 4K models have contrast very close to the eshift units compared to what has previously been available, and finally native 4k, its why the N7 is such a sweet spot. I would not take an N5 if I had to give up my 9500, going backwards so hard in contrast vs my 9500 to only gain 10-15% resolution performance in actual films is not worth it to me.

Its why I am most interested in seeing the contrst figures on the N7 with the iris open, or, more in line with where I will actually be using it, because I am betting I will not be looking at half the contrast, I think the delta will be much closer.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
yep we need an N7 out in the wild....

hello JVC ? hello JVC ? anyone listening ? :D

6281 - 6300 of 13667 Posts