AVS Forum banner

8461 - 8480 of 13667 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
some bad news!
Just off the phone with my dealer. The first batch of NX9 (at least for Germany) will be so small that it will fit mainly for demo units of dealers only. Next batch won’t be available untill next year maybe even February. N5 similar and N7 seems to even more delayed. So have to wait for over 2 months now!
Info came directly from JVC Germany!

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
I don’t really want to get into a debate over what we should consider ‘fully’ resolving, that’s splitting hairs and is not really the point, the point is if you can perceive an increase in resolution from the seating position.

No you weren’t comparing 8K to 4K, you said you needed to be 5-6 feet from a 140” screen to resolve 4K, which you don’t.

You’re contradicting yourself when you say in one post that you’d need to be 5-6ft from a 140” screen, but then in the next post say you have something to gain from 4K at a seating distance of 12ft from a 150” screen?

If the actual intent of your post was that you’d have to be 5-6ft from the screen to resolve 8K - then I’d of course agree whole heartedly, any difference will be marginal at best from a normal seating distance in that comparison.

Your welcome to base your opinion on what others have posted, however I would recommend doing the comparison yourself before posting that opinion. I have done an extensive side by side comparison in my own room between two luminance matched and calibrated projectors, one e-shift (RS600) and the other native 4K (760ES), and the difference in resolution was immediately apparent from half a screen width away, and was even perceivable from around 1.5 times that.

I wasn’t really looking to debate this whole topic, but I feel you’re misleading the uninitiated who might read this thread, that they will see no resolution increase unless they’re 5-6ft from a 140” screen.

Ummmmm, you're inferring something I never implied or stated. I stand by what I STATED: one needs to be VERY close to FULLY RESOLVE 4K. FULLY RESOLVE 4K. The word "fully" is the crucial adverb you (seemingly) handily omit.

"Fully' is absolutely an operative and imperative term when discussing the virtues of INCREASING resolution. No one said you cannot "appreciate" 4K for instance, over 1080 without "fully resolving" it, it's a matter of the validity of moving to the next "step" of resolution, understanding such. For example: if I was 25' from my 150" screen, there would be ZERO value (from a resolution standpoint) of moving to 4K, as I cannot even resolve 1080 at that distance, on a 150" screen.

That's what I stated. And YES, you need to be-certainly well under 10' to do it on a 140" screen.

I am not REMOTELY contradicting myself when I speak of gaining a resolution benefit, going from 1080 to 4K at 12' on a 150" screen. I WILL gain more resolution.

Again, the point is going from 4K to 8K. There is no way I will resolve more detail in my current scenario by going to 8K (from 4K) as I won't even be able to FULLY resolve 4K, to start with.

This is not my "opinion", this is substantiated by a multitude of meta-analysis on what humans are able to perceive: an 8K projector does not magically change science.

So yes, I'm interested in these projectors because they would be an upgrade (in MANY regards) to my current unit/set-up, resolution included.

Moving forward, I truly hope there are efforts focused on much more meaningful picture quality improvements (including black levels, contrast, dynamic range, etc) before the next "K", but I seriously doubt it, as OEM's know precisely what will drive more sales...and act accordingly. Oh well.

I'm not "debating" anymore than you are. I'll happily partake in such a comparison as soon as I'm able- I don't expect any surprises, but it will be fun.

James

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
some bad news!
Just off the phone with my dealer. The first batch of NX9 (at least for Germany) will be so small that it will fit mainly for demo units of dealers only. Next batch won’t be available untill next year maybe even February. N5 similar and N7 seems to even more delayed. So have to wait for over 2 months now!
ugh. Sorry to all that are waiting!

James

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
some bad news!
Wow, sorry to hear that. If JVC doesn't start shipping these soon there are going to be some frustrated customers. A second delay would take Christmas timeframe out of the equation. Hopefully we will get an update on timing for the U.S. ...hoping it hasn't changed from late November. :(

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. If JVC doesn't start shipping these soon there are going to be some frustrated customers. A second delay would take Christmas timeframe out of the equation. Hopefully we will get an update on timing for the U.S. ...hoping it hasn't changed from late November. :(

I have a 2 week break over Christmas and was planning on many movie nights... I have an NX7 on order, but if this looks like it will spill into February or later, I'm going to pass on this set of projectors... I'll wait and see what comes down the pipeline next year.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I have a 2 week break over Christmas and was planning on many movie nights... I have an NX7 on order, but if this looks like it will spill into February or later, I'm going to pass on this set of projectors... I'll wait and see what comes down the pipeline next year.
I am in the same boat. I sold my old projector and pre-ordered an NX7, so if these end up being delayed into 2019 then I will have to find another solution. For me, I just can't wait another 2+ months. Eager to see what U.S. dealers are hearing about the latest status of timing/shipping.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I am in the same boat. I sold my old projector and pre-ordered an NX7, so if these end up being delayed into 2019 then I will have to find another solution. For me, I just can't wait another 2+ months. Eager to see what U.S. dealers are hearing about the latest status of timing/shipping.
I did the same thing.. I sold my 520 but then I couldn't take being without a projector and I cracked waiting for the N7 but then somehow a 640 landed on my lap and I took it.. the switch from my 520 to the 640 was only an additional $1,000 so I hit a homerun...

I'll be back next year and see what's available..I know for sure the N7 will look amazing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
I have the two weeks off between X-mas & New Years as well. It would suck big time if they are in fact delaying them again. :(
Maybe Germany is getting such a small number because we are getting them all. ;)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Maybe Germany is getting such a small number because we are getting them all. ;)
The last time I made the joke/comment about the U.S. getting all the supply when Europe was being told they were delayed and the U.S. was still being told everything was on schedule, we found out that the U.S. shipment was getting delayed by a month a few days later. I don't want to tempt fate a second time :eek:

·
Registered
969 Posts
The last time I made the joke/comment about the U.S. getting all the supply when Europe was being told they were delayed and the U.S. was still being told everything was on schedule, we found out that the U.S. shipment was getting delayed by a month a few days later. I don't want to tempt fate a second time :eek:
Exactly! Europe seemed to know something before the US. I hope the US dealers can get the straight scoop for us and not the last day they were to ship.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sheesh, might have to spend some time over Christmas talking to the family, eh, peeps?! :p
Funny.
I seriously cannot believe this speculation thread may overtake the the RS600/500 owners thread which has been running since 2015 before a single unit lands in someone's hands.
People have way too much time on their hands. ( Or don't want to talk to the family over Xmas ;) ( joking))

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
It is the 8k e-shift potential that really intrigues me for the nx9. Was hoping to already have it hooked up and playing. Thank goodness I have a spare sony projector to play with, until this jvc prize arrives.

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Very rarely does twice the price equal twice the performance. Look at cars, flat panel TVs, pre/pros, etc.... the cost for extra performance is not linear...the higher you go in price to more incremental performance you gain. Sure its just a rule of thumb but you can apply it across many products and that principle holds up pretty well.
That is pretty much a never.........

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
some bad news!
Just off the phone with my dealer. The first batch of NX9 (at least for Germany) will be so small that it will fit mainly for demo units of dealers only. Next batch won’t be available untill next year maybe even February.
A second delay would take Christmas timeframe out of the equation.
I have an NX7 on order, but if this looks like it will spill into February or later, I'm going to pass on this set of projectors...
I am in the same boat. I sold my old projector and pre-ordered an NX7, so if these end up being delayed into 2019 then I will have to find another solution. For me, I just can't wait another 2+ months.
I have the two weeks off between X-mas & New Years as well. It would suck big time if they are in fact delaying them again. :(
The same for me...if it's delayed again, I'm cancelling my order for the NX9.

Yeah, last time Europe got it right on the delays and the bad news there became the bad news here.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yea im with yall here, another two month delay and ill probably cancel as well. If i hadn't already sold my projector i would probably stick it out but lots of other good projectors to choose from either way.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Noob projector question here. How much heat will these give off? Enough to effect room temp? Also wondering how easily it is to hear them on?
It depends completely upon your room and setup.

Neither in a purpose-built home theater.

Both in a family room, especially in summer and/or in warmer climates, especially if the projector is mounted directly above the viewing position.

Can those effects be ameliorated? Of course, anything from dedicated cooling to a temperature-controlled "hush box."

The question is do you want to go through the hassle in exchange for the benefits?

To use an example, even the heat from an OLED or Plasma will alter the temperature of a room to some degree.

8461 - 8480 of 13667 Posts