AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 13667 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
So you are just trying find reasons not to buy new projector for the next 5 years ? :D
5 years?....I hope not!

Have you seen Sony's laser modules, with a few design changes may even become user replaceable. Some laser manufacturer is bound to offer such light sources to projector makers sooner or later.

Attachments

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,862
How did u get all these apps into the oppos.. this is cool
That's the OPPO Blu-Ray player models 103 and 105.

The 203 and 205 do not have these apps disappointingly.

But if you want to stream video using these apps and upscale to 4K resolution prior to outputting to your projector then the 103 and 105 will most certainly do that for you; albeit HDMI 1.4 :)

:wink:

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Who's to say upscaling won't be improved by the time these are released ? My RS4500 doesn't have any problem upscaling...
Exactly. I'm not too concerned about whatever video noise is present in 1080p that the unit is upscaling, because it is early and it seems unlikely JVC would release the pj into production like that. And surely if other units like the RS4500 don't have the issue I wouldn't expect these new ones too either, once in production. That said, it is great that this is getting attention so it can be addressed as/if needed.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,864
Who's to say upscaling won't be improved by the time these are released ? My RS4500 doesn't have any problem upscaling. And let me tell you - if a source has noise in it ( like an older Blu-ray or a crappy cable channel ), upscaling can't fix crappy. It's hard to tell what the cable companies are passing off as 1080i these days anyway. I don't expect blood from a turnip.
You are absolutely right. I almost feel the need to keep reminding everyone the NX9 on demo was/is a preproduction prototype with a number of performance issues that will not be present with respect to the production units. :)

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
I was having a technical difficulty there. :eek: I'm not sure what Alan's recommended brightness is, but I believe it's advised to apply sunscreen prior to watching " Mad Max : Fury Road ". :D
Last time I was at his house, he was watching 1080P content and DCI cinema content at 30FL. Looked good.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,866
Exactly. I'm not too concerned about whatever video noise is present in 1080p that the unit is upscaling, because it is early and it seems unlikely JVC would release the pj into production like that. And surely if other units like the RS4500 don't have the issue I wouldn't expect these new ones too either, once in production. That said, it is great that this is getting attention so it can be addressed as/if needed.
Precisely :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You are absolutely right. I almost feel the need to keep reminding everyone the NX9 on demo was/is a preproduction prototype with a number of performance issues that will not be present with respect to the production units. :)

We are getting very close to the release date to be improving things aren’t we? I know they seem to push things to the very last minute and keep improving even after release with firmware updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,870 (Edited)
We are getting very close to the release date to be improving things aren’t we? I know they seem to push things to the very last minute and keep improving even after release with firmware updates.
It doesn't work that way... The R&D carries on with respect to other units after a prototype is manufactured, so the prototype falls behind. In other words, JVC will have been finishing off the development of the product after manufacturing this particular prototype; pretty much all of the R&D will have been completed by now :)

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
5 years?....I hope not!

Have you seen Sony's laser modules, with a few design changes may even become user replaceable. Some laser manufacturer is bound to offer such light sources to projector makers sooner or later.
I bet it is at least five years and I would be shocked if it ever becomes user replaceable. Heck I don't think any of the lasers are replaceable here in the US by factory service technicians. Replacement requires the the projector to go all the way back to the factory. It is not like popping in a new lamp.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Prices should be out by this Thursday then.

I hope prices will be reasonable.

What troubled me with the outgoing JVC series was UHD tone mapping and that even after autocal, dark information in the picture to me at times appeared in a pool of black, at least without raising the black floor. It appears this new optimizer is active and hopefully addressed all that.

I try to remain objective when it comes to brands and yet I will say this...I like that, at least on paper, even the N5 offers more than what the Sony 385 offered native contrast-wise.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts

Software is worked on until the last minute. I don't know if is the same every year, but I know some years the projectors are shipped to the US with no firmware installed. While the projectors are making the trip over, the software is completed. Then loaded into the projectors, right before shipping out to dealers.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
5 years?....I hope not!

I love an undying optimist !!! Keep it up. Don't ever change ! Hopefully our dreams come true - before we are too old to remember how to operate the remote. :eek:

·
Registered
18,149 Posts

Well, we could start taking bets on whether the new projectors actually do ship by the end of October ( that would be Halloween - boo ! ). I'm sure there is a software engineer somewhere looking at October 31st and cussing up a storm !

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
I love an undying optimist !!! Keep it up. Don't ever change ! Hopefully our dreams come true - before we are too old to remember how to operate the remote. :eek:
Why do you think I get my remote set up so that it only takes one button push.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
So let me see if I have this right... You spend thousands of dollars for the projector and then have to spend thousands more on an outboard scaler because JVC can't implement a sub $30 commercial off the shelf scaling chip properly? Even Vizio and the other middle tier mass market TV guys can do that. That's a ringing endorsement of JVC's technical competence if I've ever seen one.
JVC's upscaler is "fine". Im sure the noise isn't so bad that most people really notice. It's just that other upscalers are "great". Processing is not one of the strong areas for the JVC. The benefits of the Sony is super strong processing and world class upscaler. The benefits of JVC is better contrast. I can add an upscaler to my system to work with my JVC. There's nothing you can add to a Sony to get better contrast. So for me, the choice is JVC.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
The problem with these though is that they don't work for all content and induce latency. Any streaming content like Netflix will be a problem, and in gaming it will induce a large amount of latency or simply not work.

You'll need something very powerful, especially if you're moving up to 4k processing which is extremely useful in games.
So a gaming HTPC that upscales HD to 4K via MadVR and outputs that to the projector doesn't work and induces latency... Really? Sound like you purchased the wrong PC to me ;)

And streaming Netflix via your OPPO that is set to output HD upscaled to 4K to your projector will be a problem... How exactly?
As someone that plans to move to JVC 4K coming from Sony 4K with Reality Creation, I've spent a decent amount of time trying to figure this exact problem out. The loss of reality creation is for sure going to be a bummer. I love it and have used terms like "magic" to describe it.

That being said, MadVR does a better job upscaling and has some very good post processing if you want it. If your content can be run through MadVR, you won't miss Reality Creation or need anything else and of course it induces no lag. For games, on the PC, Nvidia freestyle probably provides enough awesomeness to not miss Reality Creation. It's not quite as good, but it is good enough to substitute in. I believe Nvidia control panel also has some post processing if you use it for video playback. I don't use it for this. But that might help on netflix etc. I don't use those services.

As for console gaming, well, you'll miss reality creation here. However, these are already upscaled to 4K and many would argue that you don't want any additional processing here. I would not be one to make this argument, however. But console games look so much worse than their PC counterparts for a number of reasons, but at 4K that biggest reason is the inability to disable anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing is not needed when the pixels are 4K sized. And turning it off results in a much sharper image than leaving it on. Console games don't allow simple graphic option toggles so you're basically stuck with this blur filter. Given a game that's on both xbox one x and PC, the same game looks sharper on PC running JVC e-shift 4k wth anti aliasing off than on xbox one on native 4k with no ability to disable the antialiasing. Since most games are released on PC full controller support now, there's not a reason to even own a ps4/xbox one x in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I wouldn't totally underestimate Epson. People like me, who's Canadian dollar is in the tanks in comparison to the USD, think twice before spending that much money.

Many people would love to step up to a JVC, but, even their entry level prices are tough to chew for a great many.

Epson fills this gap.
Pfft I'd take a used jvc any day over a new epson. I've seen RS500's and better on the $2000-$2500 range here on AVS Forums classified sections.

1861 - 1880 of 13667 Posts