AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new 5900M from Crutchfield today. Just hooked it all up and got a chance to try and check it out. It seemed fine at first, but after I went into the setup menu and set the thing to display progressive, etc. the image went all crackled and crazy like a kaleidoscope. There are dancing fields of colored pixels running all over everything, with lightning bolts of white criss-crossing the image on top of the spots.

I've tried resetting everything to different values, but nothing helps. Different DVDs or no DVD and just the logo screen -- same thing. Some one else posted having a problem with the 5700 a week or two ago, ane he just returned his.

They weren't expecting to have any in until Friday, I thought, but they shipped this one last Friday, after telling me they were out of stock. Could be someone returned it, and they just sent it back out.

If this is some known problem, that has an easy fix, that would be great. Stacey, Don ? I can call them tomorrow and see if the support dept. knows anything. I'm just afraid I got a lemon.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

I talked to Crutchfield this morning before I went to work, and got as far as trying the S-video output, which works fine. Kenwood support said they had never heard/seen such a problem; of course, they player is brand new.

When I get home, I plan on reconnecting the component cables to my old player, just to confirm they're OK, and putting the manual switch on the back to try and confirm whether the component output jacks themselves may be bad, or whether it's only the progressive out processing, and I have a bad chip or something.

So no one else with a new one of these has such a problem ? Seems like it happened when I first toggled the video quality from Interlaced to Progressive in the OSD menu, but now changing back and forth does not help.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you don't mind opening the player... check and see if there are any of those flat, high-density flexible connectors (like rigid ribbon cables) running between boards. Make sure all of them are firmly seated at both ends.

From your description, it sounds a lot like one of these connectors may be loose.

If that's all it is, it could save you the hassle of exchanging the player...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Mark. I will see if it looks like I can get into it without risking voiding the warranty.

Have you seen this type of behavior with PCs before ?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened it up, but all the ribbon connectors I could get to looked to be seated properly. However, some of them, especially the biggest one, looked to be severely folded over and creased, apparently an attempt to fit in the casing. That may well be the cause of the problem, unless the ribbons can handle that.

I'm going to go ahead and return this one. If nothing else better comes out soon, and no one else seems to encounter any problems, maybe I will go ahead and order another one.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Some ribbon cables are designed to be creased in that fashion.

One thing... you said they all "look" to be connected properly.

In this case, there is no substitute for a physical check of the connection.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Another thing, the 3 component cables are plugged in properly, right?

Y -> Y

Pr -> Pr

Pb -> Pb

Almost certainly so, but then again .....

Regards,

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I double-checked the component connections quite a few times. Plus, it looks fine when the switch is set to interlaced only.

If the creasing is not the problem, it could be a bad chip or any number of things.

I plan on sending it back on Saturday, unless I find the answer is something I can correct myself. Otherwise, I'll need to do some more research (maybe wait on the Secrets individual reviews). I am actually very happy with my Denon 2800, but I was hoping to have an all-in-one solution for chroma bug, deinterlacing, DVD-audio and storage for all my DVDs.

If I don't reorder this or another changer, I could get a RP91 and run it thru my iScan Pro, which would give me good deinterlacing, no chroma bug, DVD-audio and scaling for non-anamorphic DVDs, and keep the Denon for anamorphic DVDS.

Then I would just be missing the storage factor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.