AVS Forum banner

New Klipsch Synergy 12 Xo issues

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  test4echo101 
#1 ·
Hi Eveyone,

I just bought a Klipsch Synergy Sub 12.

I'm having some issues setting the crossover for it.

Heres why:

My receiver is not the best, Sony STR DE597.

This receiver does not give any options to set a crossover freq.

I can set my mains to small or large and set levels but thats about it.

I'm using the LFE input.

I have paradigm se7 mk III's which state a low end of 34Hz If I assume the speakers are set to large. However if set to small, i have no idea what the Xo would be. 80hz?

Since I have to set the crossover via the sub, should I set my mains to small and set my sub at 80Hz or set them to large and keep the subs crossover at 40Hz?

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I had to ask because most advice I've read here always refers the person to set the crossover via the receiver and I can't.

Thanks,

Test,

See less See more
#2 ·
from what i can tell this is the manual for your receiver

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDE597revision.pdf

the answer is on page 18...it looks like there is no option on your receiver to actually select a crossover frequency which is odd...but anywho, youll want to go into the options and make sure that you have yes selected under the subwoofer option...then make sure your speakers are set to small...on the back of your subwoofer just turn the knob that sets the crossover to its highest value that way it will receive all signals it gets from your receiver...from how i understand it with your receiver this is just about the only way to get it to work "correctly"...since you wont be able to select a crossover its anyones guess what particualr frequency your receiver starts send info to the subwoofer at...at least from what i read thats what i gather

#3 ·
Thanks WaveyD4vey,

Yes thats the manual. I've memorized it.....lol I've had this receiver for a few years now but have never had a decent Sub to run with it.

It IS very odd and difficult to get a feel for what the proper settings should be when you don't know what the receiver is doing...lol

I know its time for new receiver but I can't afford what i want right now.

Haram Kardon AVS 630.

Thanks for the time to help!!

Test,

#4 ·
You reciever DOES have the ability to apply a crossover. But it is at a fixed value; you cannot change it. But whether you decide to set your speakers to LARGE or SMALL, you should set your Sub12s low-pass filter knob as high as it will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey /forum/post/15530945

...it looks like there is no option on your receiver to actually select a crossover frequency which is odd...

Not odd. This is the case with many older and/or lower-end receivers. But you are correct that it is often hard to figure out what fixed frequency the receiver is using for its crossover frequency. It is usually in the neighborhood of 80Hz -120Hz but it can be higher than that.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15535796

You reciever DOES have the ability to apply a crossover. But it is at a fixed value; you cannot change it. But whether you decide to set your speakers to LARGE or SMALL, you should set your Sub12s low-pass filter knob as high as it will go.

Not odd. This is the case with many older and/or lower-end receivers. But you are correct that it is often hard to figure out what fixed frequency the receiver is using for its crossover frequency. It is usually in the neighborhood of 80Hz -120Hz but it can be higher than that.

Yes I realize that it "Must" have a crossover at some point. I should call Sony and find out what that point is. 80Hz or 120Hz.

I find that while setting the subs low pass as high as it will go works great for movies but awful for music. I'm constantly changing that low pass filter depending on the content.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 /forum/post/15542440

I find that while setting the subs low pass as high as it will go works great for movies but awful for music. I'm constantly changing that low pass filter depending on the content.

Well, theoretically, if you are applying a crossover with the receiver, the subwoofer's low pass should be bypassed completely or, if that is not possible, set as high as it will go. I think you understand why. When you lower it until it interferes with the receiver's crossover, you are probably taming a room peak that, untamed, causes your music to sound boomy. What have you done to assure that the subwoofer is calibrated with the speakers, btw? If it is set up too loud, then you might expect the behavior you are describing, too.

#7 ·
Hi sivadselim,

Well I've pretty done all I can as far as levels and location are concerned.

I have come to the conclusion that I can't get a good mix between movies and music without adjusting the sub.

And that's OK, I've found the two settings that work for me.

I do believe my Sony Str De597 is mainly the culprit for my lack of satisfaction now...lol

I'm looking at a used HK AVR 630 to replace it.

Movies, I set the low pass all way up and have my sub at 0db and my fronts and center at 5db. (Fronts Paradigm se7 Mk 3's and Center PA acoustics 6sxt)

For music I set the low pass at 70hz.

All Speakers set to small.

Seems to work good.

Thanks for the help,

test,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.