AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on Ultimate AV web site - Krell is showing a new Evolution pre/pro at CES:

"...EVO-707 pre-pro ($18,500). It includes 8.4 (!) channels of amplification, HDMI switching, 12 channels of digital room equalization, and is software upgradeable."

I can't seem to find any more info on it anwhere....anyone seen anything?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where's all the show coverage??? It looks like Krell introduced a new line called "EVO," with 10 new components, but I can't really find anything on blogs, show reports, etc. Anyone else see anything??

Here's what I found out on Stereophile.com:

EVO amplifiers:

EVO 402, stereo 400Wpc ($15,000)

EVO 403 , three-channel 400Wpc ($20,000)

EVO 600, 600W monoblock ($15,000)

EVO 900, 900W monoblock ($20,000)

EVO preamplifiers:

two chassis EVO222 is $10,000

four chassis dual mono EVO 202 is $15,000.

EVO 505 SACD/CD player ($10,000)

The EVO 525 ($13,500) adds a dual-channel video format converter, so it can output 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p via HDMI.

There were also two multichannel preamp processors introduced; no details given.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Krell unfortunately over the past several years has gone south and seems no one cares about what Dan is doing anymore.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn
Krell unfortunately over the past several years has gone south and seems no one cares about what Dan is doing anymore.
Do you mean their quality has plummeted, or they've been doing some NAFTA outsourcing... :rolleyes:

Since you seem to be one of the more (most) knowledgeable people re. hi-end gear, I'm curious why you say that....?

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider
Do you mean their quality has plummeted, or they've been doing some NAFTA outsourcing... :rolleyes:

Since you seem to be one of the more (most) knowledgeable people re. hi-end gear, I'm curious why you say that....?

Not so sure about either of those statements however this is just "my" opinion and this is from a guy who had only Krell gear in my system for over 10 years. I loved it and wouldn't consider any other brand. Unfortunately IMO Dan has branched out and away from all of the things which he did best and for what we all knew the company by. I have owned too many Krell products to count and still do BTW. I just feel that for the money he is charging, the consumer has far too many options now from which to compare in both solid state and tube technolgy. Again don't get me wrong I am not dissing the company of which I was a major supporter. I just feel that new and more innovative technology than his exists at the same or or less money.

Finally I would have expected him to demo at either Alexis Park or San Remo with all of the high end audio gear. The last 2 years he has been buried in the heart of the LV Convention center with a static system and nothing but noise around him.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn
I just feel that new and more innovative technology than his exists at the same or or less money.
I'm in my "Krell period" now (though I don't have nearly your experience or budget); I just love the stuff (I have the HTS 7.1, 450 Mcxs and 2250s), and am really excited to see/hear this new line, especially the new pre/pros and DVD (but of course I'll wait for Blu-ray version). I guess we'll have to wait and see if his new EVO line is an "evolutionary" step forward or backwards (in which case maybe it should be called "DEVO" :) )

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Don't get me wrong as I too have the HTS 7.1, 750 Mcx and the TAS

I owned previously many of his best pieces including my favorites

KPS25SC

KRC-HR

MD-10

Reference 64 DAC

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, timo2000; they just put that up today.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider
Where's all the show coverage??? .
SoundStageLive.com has some coverage on the new Krell line.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...toppers1.shtml

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...integrated.jpg

Krell replaced its entire line of amplifiers, preamplifiers, and surround-sound processors with brand-new models fashioned after the company's Evolution reference components. Seen above is the retro-styled FBI (Fully Balanced Integrated), a massive integrated amplifier that is rated to deliver 300Wpc into 8 ohms and 600Wpc into 4 ohms. It features Evolution CAST technology and sells for $16,500.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...l_mono_amp.jpg

The most powerful Krell amplifier in the new line is the Evo-900, a massive monoblock chassis rated to deliver 900W into 8 ohms and a staggering 1800W into 4 ohms. The new styling eschews external heatsinks, giving the unit a clean outer appearance. The price is $40,000/pair.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I saw the new line briefly at the Krell booth. In a word, they are huge. I mean seriously large. I'd have to guess that was done deliberately as the size was evident in all the components. Of course, I think the silver finish that all the components were doesn't "hide" real size like black does. Just my useless $0.02. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
I saw the new line briefly at the Krell booth. In a word, they are huge. I mean seriously large. Jeff
For the new (huge) amps, they did away w/external heat sinks, so I'm guessing the cabinets have to be substantially larger than the FPB series for proper internal airflow and heat dissipation.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
True, but the other components looked big as well. I mean, even the SACD/CD and Universal players looked big. The 707 surround processor was also a monster, but they were making good use of all that back panel space.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
The 707 surround processor was also a monster, but they were making good use of all that back panel space.

Jeff
I didn't realize they actually had a 707 unit there; I haven't seen any "show" pictures of it anywhere, and Krell only has a line drawing of it on their web site and their 2006 full-line brochure.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07
he new styling eschews external heatsinks, giving the unit a clean outer appearance. The price is $40,000/pair.
Of course the units have heat sinks... look at the pic. The heat sink fins are just not as exaggerated as previous models. The question is how heat is removed from the heat sink... I didn't check for a fan anywhere. But I did take note of the reduced metal profile, and I did touch one of the units that was operational (probably just to show the LEDs and meter) and the heat sink on the side was quite warm, with no output being pumped.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
He did say external heatsinks...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
The 707 surround processor was also a monster, but they were making good use of all that back panel space.

Jeff
The 707 is 22" deep! :eek:

Apparently, in addition to just video switching, they're building in a video processing engine (scaling and de-interlacing); the design isn't finalized yet, so no details on which chip they're using, or how much of the functionality of a stand-alone video processor they'll be building in. I believe it will upscale to 1080p.

After spending $18.5K on this (or whatever kind of deal my dealer gives me on it), it would be great if the quality and features of the scaler/de-interlacer are good enough that I wouldn't need to buy the Crystalio II, also :)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
He did say external heatsinks...
The heat sinks in the new unit(s) are external, just that the fins don't stick out. But the solid mass of metal on both sides of the new amp is undoubtedly directly and thermally coupled to the power transistors.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzucc
But the solid mass of metal on both sides of the new amp is undoubtedly directly and thermally coupled to the power transistors.
The EVO-600 amp is supposed to weigh in at about 200 lbs -- definitely a "solid mass of metal"..... (my theater is on the 3rd floor :( )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.