AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Kuro 5010 today and have had it sitting right next to my Sony 36XS955 HD with football games on the Cox HD channel. I have to say that I am surprised. I didnt think that it would stand out that much over my Sony but I was wrong. The blacks on the 5010 seem better than the CRT. The PQ and detail seems better than the CRT.. The colors on the CRT seemed washed out compared to the 5010. Although I think some of it may be coming from the difference in size between the two of them. I am now watching Planet Earth on my Blu-Ray player and it is really awesome.

Thank you D NIce I used your reference settings and they turned out pretty well. I dont know if Im going to worry about doing a break in except for normal precautions.

I turned off all sound and cant really hear any buzzing unless I get right next to the screen. I dont see any flaws in the screen such as bad pixels or streaking or blotches. The TV was made in July 2007. Wow pretty old they must not sell many of these or something.

The only thing that I dont like so far is that I can feel the heat coming off of it. Could be a problem in the summer. Definitely need a fan.

Otherwise Im going to see how it is over the next 30 days but so far Im more than satisfied. I feel like a traitor to my Sony CRT

One other thing I forgot to mention. I thought this might be too large for the bedroom but actually it is a perfect size. Im glad I didnt go with the 42" 4280.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f /forum/post/12878868

I got my Kuro 5010 today and have had it sitting right next to my Sony 36XS955 HD with football games on the Cox HD channel. I have to say that I am surprised. I didnt think that it would stand out that much over my Sony but I was wrong. The blacks on the 5010 seem better than the CRT. The PQ and detail seems better than the CRT.. The colors on the CRT seemed washed out compared to the 5010. Although I think some of it may be coming from the difference in size between the two of them. I am now watching Planet Earth on my Blu-Ray player and it is really awesome.

Thank you D NIce I used your reference settings and they turned out pretty well. I dont know if Im going to worry about doing a break in except for normal precautions.

I turned off all sound and cant really hear any buzzing unless I get right next to the screen. I dont see any flaws in the screen such as bad pixels or streaking or blotches. The TV was made in July 2007. Wow pretty old they must not sell many of these or something.

The only thing that I dont like so far is that I can feel the heat coming off of it. Could be a problem in the summer. Definitely need a fan.

Otherwise Im going to see how it is over the next 30 days but so far Im more than satisfied. I feel like a traitor to my Sony CRT

i was under the impression that these sold really well.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 /forum/post/12878880

i was under the impression that these sold really well.

I dont know if may have been the price that has held people back last year. Now the price is getting pretty good.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other thing that I noticed. People have mentioned that the plasma is not good in bright rooms............nothing could be further than the truth. I had full sunlight coming into this room and it still looked great............no glare either. The CRT is the one that has always had this problem with glare and bright sunlight that would make it hard to see the picture.

Also from what I have seen the SD (480) broadcasts look terrible on this TV but then again they also did on my Sony CRT HD set.

ANyone know of any good settings to improve SD broadcast?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the 30" version of the Sony TV you have and I've been looking into investing into the 4280 or Pro 950 and am glad to hear that you feel the Pioneer is an upgrade as I was worried it wouldn't be. Is there any noticeable motion blur? I've only had CRT's so far, never a flat panel and I've always been afraid that the flat panel wouldn't be able to match my Sony 30XS955 CRT for picture quality.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I currently own a Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT.. and the thing both myself and my wife have noticed when looking at the 4280 and 5080, is the SDE. The CRT is 32 inches with 1080 (i) res, so the pixel density is very high, and creates, to me, a very solid looking image. With the 4280 at our viewing distance (7-8 feet) we could both see the pixels and felt we couldn't live with that.

The 5010 is the only plasma I have seen so far that I thought equaled the image on my CRT... it looked really nice, but, sadly, is completely out of my price range ($5.5k USD here). My only hope now is the 800 series panasonics

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPetey /forum/post/12880912

I have the 30" version of the Sony TV you have and I've been looking into investing into the 4280 or Pro 950 and am glad to hear that you feel the Pioneer is an upgrade as I was worried it wouldn't be. Is there any noticeable motion blur? I've only had CRT's so far, never a flat panel and I've always been afraid that the flat panel wouldn't be able to match my Sony 30XS955 CRT for picture quality.

I watched the football games and didnt notice any motion blur.

I think the main upgrade is the larger size over the CRT otherwise the PQ is almost the same. This is my 1st plasma too.........otherwise the house is filled with CRT type TVs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPetey /forum/post/12880912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl /forum/post/12882011

I currently own a Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT.. and the thing both myself and my wife have noticed when looking at the 4280 and 5080, is the SDE. The CRT is 32 inches with 1080 (i) res, so the pixel density is very high, and creates, to me, a very solid looking image. With the 4280 at our viewing distance (7-8 feet) we could both see the pixels and felt we couldn't live with that.

The 5010 is the only plasma I have seen so far that I thought equaled the image on my CRT... it looked really nice, but, sadly, is completely out of my price range ($5.5k USD here). My only hope now is the 800 series panasonics

Yes I have 2 of the Sony SFP CRTs and the picture is excellent on both of them . Yes I know what you mean about wanting a solid looking image. I have looked at the LCDs and some of the plasmas and they are terrible with the shimmering. digital look images especially when you look at someones face. The 5010 seems to have the same quality to me.

I think if you are patient you will see price drops on the 5080/5010.

I might buy another one for the living room so I will be watching too.

·
Registered
787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f /forum/post/12879029

One other thing that I noticed. People have mentioned that the plasma is not good in bright rooms............nothing could be further than the truth. I had full sunlight coming into this room and it still looked great............no glare either. The CRT is the one that has always had this problem with glare and bright sunlight that would make it hard to see the picture.

Also from what I have seen the SD (480) broadcasts look terrible on this TV but then again they also did on my Sony CRT HD set.

ANyone know of any good settings to improve SD broadcast?

Yup, I was concerned coming from an rptv with an anti glare screen.

The 6010 handles ambient light much better than my old dlp set. I was very surprised by this since I was preparing to accept glare was part of the plasma experience.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksand1956 /forum/post/12886374

Have the same decision between the 50 and the 42 inch for my bedroom. Exactly how far are you from the screen?

My closest position is around 6 to 7 ft and the furthest position is around 10 to 12 ft. It look good both positions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts