AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this set and a similar vintage Sony micro surround 5.1 system for $250. Heavy sucker.

I have no HD source but 480p DVD looks pretty damn good. I am itching to see 1080i. SD cable is merely ok. Frankly, a 624x352 DiVX from my old laptop over a composite connection (1024x768) looks considerably better than my SD analog cable from Cox, FWIW.

I am pretty happy with the set but I think it can be better. There is a strange geometry issue. The top left of the screen bows down over the last 6-8 inches. The bottom right does the same. I also notice a convergence issue around the left and right of the screen. The center seems ok. My experience with Sony Trinitron technology suggests that convergence can be a big issue, so I hope I am not out of luck.

Anyway, these things need adjustment, if possible. And while I am in the service menu, I'd like to do other improvements (focus?). Can anyone advise me on this? I have a neat test program that I use on my 21" Trinitron computer monitor called TechPCvg (it has a convergence screen among others). What else can I do?

I am a BSEE and have the capability to understand this stuff but obviously I don't know it all, so I am coming here for help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got into the service menu and found quite a few geometry settings. None seemed to really be the right one. I also couldn't find focus OR convergence, which I think are more important. It looks like the focus and convergence are both optimal in the dead center and gets worse in a radius from there. It's bad enough at the edges that a white box with a slight black border has blue edges on the left and red edges on the right if you get within a few feet of the set. Is this fixable? I'd love an explanation of all the menu items, as well. Does this exist for the 36XBR400?

·
Registered
614 Posts
The information you need is here: Sony Schematics

I had to converge both sides of the picture on my Sony 32HS510, similar set inside. It's in the service menus. Might want to look at the Sony service codes topic on this forum, near the beginning, I think they list what the settings do. Have fun!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I just noticed that thread. I've been searching and reading for a while before I posted. I also saw that site before but, same as before, it says bandwidth exceeded and I didn't even download anything. I tried from home and work - no luck. Anywhere else I can get it?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I donated...so hopefully I will be able to get an account to download the file. Unfortunately that long thread doesn't cover this TV exactly. Attention is paid to the last HDTV CRTs that Sony made, which I guess makes sense.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got your TV mixed up with the XBR800. The file for your set is too large for the free download, I tried it today. Once you have the information, you will want to use a test pattern, like ones found on Avia test DVD.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I donated and got an account and downloaded the file. Actually there were two. One PDF and a zip with 6 PDFs that has slightly different info. I got both. I also have an Avia DVD coming.

I did the best I could to adjust geometry and convergence with this free program I got. I set my laptop up to output 1024x768 over composite. Yeah, I know, BUT I did improve convergence a bit. What I also found out was it really needs focusing in all corners. And according to the manual, focus is global and only accessible via an adjustment inside the chassis. Now that sucks. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Focus is typically the upper knob on the flyback transformer. Normal to readjust after years of use. Corner focus is usually worse than center focus. Did you do the upper/lower/side convergences? Mine were off a lot.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to work up the confidence to access that adjustment. Perhaps it will be rewarding.

Yes the corners were, and are STILL off. All 4 of the corners are maxed out at 63 (left upper came stock at 63!) and they are not right. They are definitely less focused, too.

This TV has been in use since ~2001. When I bought it 2 months ago, it was transported in my truck to my house, a 45 minute ride. The center seems sharpest, but I have no idea if it is as good as it can be. What is protocol - drill a small access hole and use a small screwdriver? Mine looks like it would be accessed from the back, not the sides.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Remove the (many) screws to take off the back cover. The focus adjustment is recessed a ways. Did the convergence improve at 63? Would not hurt to go to 0 and try whole range of adjustment (unless you did that already).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
63 is the best setting. 480p DVD content actually looks pretty good. It's not like the picture is bad. It looks like a long philips head screw driver will access the focus knob without removing the cover.

EDIT: I got a longer screwdriver and poked it through the vents. Focus wasn't far off, if at all. That said, I am pretty satisfied with the picture from 480p DVD source. 16:9 and wider source also has the advantage of staying out of the far corners. I really want to see some kind of 1080i content on this, though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You lucked out, focus without disassembly! My focus wasn't off by much, either. 1080i content could be over the air DTV, cable or satellite, possibly Blu-Ray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts