AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a long time lurker I'd like to first thank all you people for the wonderfull info this board has supplied to me.

Yesterday I got my l300u, xp30 and set it up with my homemade blackout cloth / wood frame 80" diag screen. As someone that is coming from a Toshiba 40" WS, all I can say is "unbelievable" I knew the picture would be larger but I didn't realize it would also be BETTER. Colors, details I didn't see in a 40" picture, no more convergence issues. This thing has a fabulous picture. using cinema 1, brightness -6. I will Avia and tweak and try a filter for black level after I've hung it but as other people have said: WOW, what a picture right out of the box!

My newbie eyes can't see any pixel structure further than a few feet away from the screen. To all the fence sitters like I was, This is truly a non-issue. I don't detect any kind of banding or panning artifacts that don't look to me like the motion blur of 24 frames per second film. (but I've only got 6 hours on the lamp, so maybe these will show up as the wow factor wears off)

The only drawback I see is the black level issue. And again to the fence sitters, this is really only a problem in mostly dark scenes, in light scenes with black areas, the blacks are very deep. You really have to see this little bugger's picture to realize that the less than stellar black level is more than made up for with a truly eye poping picture. Shadow detail seems every bit as good as my toshiba 40" had so that's also a non-issue to me.

I am suprised at how bright the picture is. I have a living room you can read the paper in during the day with all the shades and blinds closed. While the picture's blacks are washed out, the picture is still watchable.

Another bit of info for anyone interested, The 5 year extended warranty from a certain vender is a Philips aftermarket warranty. Philips has a webpage for it but I don't have the url as I type. As I recall the warranty was around $350 on their webpage so your getting a deal from the vender on that also.

(not sure if I can name the vender here)

ok, so now my questions:

I have the lamp on low and the fan on high but I still can't hear the fan without dead silence. It seems louder when it's cooling down. Is the cooling down speed faster than high?

Does the timer run slower on low? I ask this because the maual states the lamp won't light once the timer reaches 2000 hours.

Will it hurt the projector to run it 10 or 12 hours in a row for my first few weekends?

since my screen is mounted already, is the best way to choose a spot on the ceiling: find the sweet spot on a table mount and then hang a weight on a string and mark the ceiling when the weight is directly over the center of the projector?

again, thanks everyone for all the great info here.

j

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well I am a fence sitter for 2 reasons:

First off, the resolution of the Panny is not 720, it is 540 in resolution. My question is, does it make that big of a difference? Also, in the next 5 years, will I be needing the 720? I play Xbox and DVDs 99.99999% of the time if I were to purchase this.

Is the difference between the 540 and 720 really heavy? Remember I am a newbie as well

Another thing, I want a 133 inch screen, and I have a TOTAL light controlled room. I'm worried if its going to be bright enough. Its 20 by 20 with 10 foot ceiling.

So their you have it, maybe you can make me switcharoo my mind around.

Awesome review though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When you power off, the fan goes to high speed for a min or so. Once you hear the fan drop off, it is safe to shut the PJ off with the button on the side which kills power to the unit completely.

It shouldn't matter to run the PJ as you like.

With the zoom lens you don't have to be so precise in getting hte right distance on the ceiling from the screen - but it should be perfectly on center. For my mount, it was easier to adjust the screen as needed.

-Mike

( no clue about the light - i never read the manual ;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thuway, Because the l300u doen't have any real visible pixel structure, there is little difference between it and many other high res projector. I've seen the l300u and a Sharp z9000 up close. I saw very little difference in how the image looked on dvds and video games. Now If your watching alot of HDTV then the extra res is essential for the true HD effect. The z9000 is 1280X720.

Brian

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Congrats on your new toy! I only have about 36 hours on mine and I'm still constantly glancing over to my wife with a big silly grin as we watch films :D

According to the manual you should not watch it for more than 12 continuos hours...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ehhhhh..... what I am worried about is the difference in the quality. I am no videophile, but I don't think I will be watching HDTV on the PJ. But videogames... I have heard that newer titles are coming out in 720p and even some in 1080i......... Does the 540p vs. 720 vs. 1080 a big difference? If so can you describe it....

I'm such a newbie.... I should go eat a fish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some games are coming out in 720 and 1080.

There's more to the entore story then resolution. Somewhere on this forum are close up screen shots of the 300 vs a much higher res PJ (TW100?) and it is extremely apparent how much smoother the 300 was due to the Panny technology which fights the screendoor effect.

So the difference is questionable, and IMO depends mostly on how close you want to sit to the screen. I like being really close - close so that I have to move my eyes / head from one side of the screen to the other. For me, a smoother picture is more important than a higher resolution one. If I were sitting further back (2x screen width or more) - the higher resolution might be more benefitical because screendoor is really only an issue when you sit closer to the screen.

I (personally) would not think the 300 would go to 133 inch screen. If you're set on LCD, probably the Sanyo PLV-70 would better suit that. The reality of a 133 screen is that it will most likely cost more than the 300 - probably not the wisest ratio of investment. Maybe with a higher gain screen - but is that a good idea for a large screen (high gain = narrow viewing cone)

I would read over the screen forum before deciding on the max size screen for the 300. I think people have been very happy with ~120, but that's the largest I've ever read. 133 is a huge screen - with a 10 foot cieling, will you be able to sit in front of the pj (isn't the height like 7 feet on a 133?) without obstructing the light?

Sorry for replying to a few different post without referencing and rambling... Sat night after a few drinks...

Mike

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
133" d

66" h

116" w

Not exactly small, but the height would only be about 5.5 feet. This is for a 16:9 screen to match the 300u.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.