AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my vw50 for a little over 2 yrs now with the original lamp passing 550 hours. Night before last we tried watching A Christmas Carol bluray but found the PQ was unwatchable. I immediately ordered a new lamp , installed it and fired up the projector. Granted I am using a HP from Dalite, but I have never seen my pearl throw a image up like this ever. It was so bright I had to close my eyes at first. I shifted in to low lamp mode with user setting from the previous lamp. I have enjoyed the pearl paired with the HP but this new lamp has improved image quality 2 fold. I had contemplated ordering a JVC HD250 pro, but not anymore. Has anyone else with the vw50 experienced the same results?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
You've inspired me. Just ordered a new lamp for mine. It seemed like it was getting dimmer lately. Should have it by the weekend. Beats spending thousands on a new one.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm an Engineer who does calibration (not of AV gear) for a living. I bought a relatively cheap lux meter (Tecpel 531) so I can measure my lux at the screen, as I'm happier with absolute measurements. With a simple calculation I can work out what my fL is. I found that I'd been watching at 5-6fL when I got the meter (at 550 hours on my lamp) and as I was about to rent an i1Pro sensor to do a full recalibration, I adjusted the iris in my projector (HD350) to achieve 12-14fL (depending on what value I take for screen gain). This boost in brightness seems to have made as much difference as the tweaking of colur temp and flatening of gamma.

For the sake of £60 or so ($??) I feel it's a useful tool to confirm when my lamp fades too dim. With my HD350 I can open the iris a few more steps to maintain brightness, but at least I now have an objective measure to tell me when the lamp is becoming too dim.

Funny thing is that I've always run my projectors on the dim side, thinking I was getting the best black level (I even put an ND2 filter on my previous AE3000). Having the 12-14fL has given me a better image as many dark scenes have small details that I couldn't see before as it was just a dark grey area on the screen, so having extra brightness seems to have improved dark scenes, which I wouldn't have expected. I thought that raising the brightness would spoil the black level, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's a nice feeling knowing that you're happy with the projector you already have.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/19579181

It's amazing what installing a new bulb can do. I've never gotten much past 550 or 600 hours on a bulb. I like a bright picture personally.

A lux meter of some sort is also really handy!!

+1....yeah The longest I've gone is like 800hrs...then, well when you're spoiled, it's time to heave it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I replaced the lamp at 2150 hours last week in my VPL-50. At 2000 hours I had set the old lamp to high, so I set the new one to low. Except for one knock off, I've been getting over 2000 hours. The VPL-50 is capable of projecting a really nice picture

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I ordered a bulb through Pureland Supply after confirming that it was an OEM. What I received was an unsealed, poorly made replica. Why do companies pull this crap? I was looking forward to spending the weekend with the new bulb installed. Now I'll be writing to the credit card company to try and get a credit. I probably won't hear from Pureland until next week, but I expect they will pull the "restocking fee" scam. I've sent emails to AVS and another place asking if they sell oem Sony bulbs.......so maybe next weekend. In the meantime, I am going on a one man crusade to tell everyone on every forum and every ratings site that I can find about my experience at Pureland Supply.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd /forum/post/19595776

After unwittingly buying an unsatisfactory knock--off I've bought OEM lamps from AVS, and the price has been very good.

db

Shot them an email Friday evening but never received a response. Haven't had much luck with AVS responding to emails. They seem to prefer the phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since ProMike refuses to respond to any of our calls or email, I shall post this here.

This is an exact transcript of the chat that ProMike says told him that our Sony replacement lamp was an OEM. If he insists on posting slanderous and false information about our company then I will post the truth.

This is the exact chat transcript:

Mike:

Are your Sony bulbs oem?

Welcome Mike! Your request has been directed to the Customer Service department. Please wait for our operator to answer your call.

Pureland Customer Service Rep 2:

Do you have the model number?

Call accepted by operator Pureland Customer Service Rep 2. Currently in room: Mike, Pureland Customer Service Rep 2.

Mike:

It is for a vplvw50 projector

One moment.

The bulb in this housing is original.
Mike:

Thanks, I'll place an order.

You are welcome.

This lamp in particular has the Philips bulb that comes in the Sony version. I would be glad to post pictures if anyone would like to see what the lamps look like. We enjoy sharing information with anyone who is interested.

Some of the lamps we carry are exact OEM, in the manufacturers box. Other lamps use the same bulb as the manufacturer but use an aftermarket housing. We do not want to carry the knock off lamps due to their high rate of failure.

After all this, he has still not returned the lamp for either a refund or a replacement, yet he refuses to remove a very slanderous post at Projector Central.

Pureland Supply prides itself on offering the highest quality customer service as well as competitive prices on lamps and bulbs for your TV's and Projectors.

We do not stay in business for 10+ years by ripping people off.

We responded to ProMike within 24hrs of his original email and yet he still posts these lies.

I hope this clears up any questions, and if anyone has any issues or questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foranzi
Mike:

It is for a vplvw50 projector

One moment.

The bulb in this housing is original.
Mike:

Thanks, I'll place an order.

You are welcome.

This lamp in particular has the Philips bulb that comes in the Sony version. I would be glad to post pictures if anyone would like to see what the lamps look like. We enjoy sharing information with anyone who is interested.

Some of the lamps we carry are exact OEM, in the manufacturers box. Other lamps use the same bulb as the manufacturer but use an aftermarket housing. We do not want to carry the knock off lamps due to their high rate of failure.

After all this, he has still not returned the lamp for either a refund or a replacement, yet he refuses to remove a very slanderous post at Projector Central.

[/email]
that would be a knock off bulb... anything aftermarket by definition is NOT oem.... your chat with him was misleading. he was expecting oem and that is NOT what he got. if you don't want people saying bad things about your company then you should just stick to ONLY selling oem bulbs.

if he returns this bulb are you going to charge him a restocking fee? you never mentioned that.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech
that would be a knock off bulb... anything aftermarket by definition is NOT oem.... your chat with him was misleading. he was expecting oem and that is NOT what he got. if you don't want people saying bad things about your company then you should just stick to ONLY selling oem bulbs.

if he returns this bulb are you going to charge him a restocking fee? you never mentioned that.
+1.. He asked in the chat if the bulb was OEM. To this group of customers, that means a factory bulb, in a SONY box.

A 'Factory' bulb in an after market housing is not an OEM bulb by my definition and would be equally disturbed if I was told OEM and it was not. Full disclosure is important to some of us.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
One should remember that images are graded to look right using established standards. That is not only about color gamut and gamma but also the brightness of top white (black being as black as possible). A picture that is right at 16 fL is no longer right at 5 fL. Eye adaptation has limits. The total dynamic range of what you see plays a role, in a bat cave too.

Lamps age gradually and one is not easily aware of what happens over time, but as the image gets darker and darker more and more films look 'wrong'. When transfers like "Last of the Mohicans" or "Inception" become hard to watch it's time to change the bulb. :)

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I am having hard time with inception but my bulb is almost new.

I think Leo is like a sleeping pill for me. I had to restart Shutter Island around 4 or 5 times before I could get through and I was committed because I bought it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech /forum/post/19769853

Many apologies for the late reply. I understand where you are coming from , but in no way did we say the lamp was OEM. The rep said the bulb was an original, in another cage. We are able to sell very high quality aftermarket lamps because they use the same bulb as the manufacturer. We have been duped by claims of "high quality" Chinese lamps and suffered the results, so we do our best to sell a reasonably priced lamp of very good quality. Had he asked specifically if it were an OEM, he would have been told that it was not. Many people do ask, and we do tell them. Misleading people is a poor way to bring business and the owner knows that. Sure, you may get the first sale, but you will not get the sales after that.

We do not charge re-stocking fees unless the situation calls for it (customer orders the wrong lamp, and doesn't realize it for over a year,etc) but we pride ourselves on top-notch customer service. When you call our location, you will not get dumped into a phone maze. We do have the system that could automate the entire process, but having an actual person to talk to makes a huge difference.

Look at out reviews on Projector Central. You don't stay in business ripping people off. One thing that we stress to all employees is, "Treat people how you would want to be treated if you were calling with an issue".

People on the internet seem to forget that we are all just like everyone else. We all have a job and hope to do our best to help others.

It is worth noting that as of May16, Mike has not returned his lamp or replied to any of our messages. I personally hope he is enjoying his lamp and that it is working correctly, and if he does ever have an issue, that he would contact us to give us the chance to rectify any problems.

I hope this helps you understand us better, and please contact me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Had he asked specifically if it were an OEM, he would have been told that it was not.
Quote:
Mike:

Are your Sony bulbs oem?
It would appear he did...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.