AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880 with Blu-ray drive

I am looking for a high quality Playback Software and Blu-Ray ripping software that the playback software can recognize, so I can play Blu-ray movie off my harddrive.

I am all about simplicity

thanks for your help

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read the threads and so many are computer specific or setup specific or OLD... TotalMedia Theater 3 platinum says it is Windows 7 compatible 64bit and there are threads saying it isnt that were from 2009.

etheesdad, I want some expert advice for my particular setup. A mobile laptop that is powerful enough to be a HTC on the Go..

Its annoying for members to respond by saying search for your question before you duplicate.. Search on AVS is Bogus and it the software talked about is mostly outdated because new patches and versions have come out.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If you want to Rip you don't need to spend any money on players...Just buy AnyDVD-HD and use MPC-HC (Free) as a player.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What format does Any-dvd HD rip the file to?

Can TMT 3 play the file that any-dvd HD creates?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 /forum/post/18260387

I have read the threads and so many are computer specific or setup specific or OLD... TotalMedia Theater 3 platinum says it is Windows 7 compatible 64bit and there are threads saying it isnt that were from 2009.

etheesdad, I want some expert advice for my particular setup. A mobile laptop that is powerful enough to be a HTC on the Go..

Its annoying for members to respond by saying search for your question before you duplicate.. Search on AVS is Bogus and it the software talked about is mostly outdated because new patches and versions have come out.

Yeah........
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=rip+blu
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

I dont really see whats so exceptional about your laptop. I would have thought if you wanted to know about 64-bit compatibility the TMT site would be the place to find out. You didnt mention anything about 64-bit in your original post.

In terms of file format most people would probably recommend MKV

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use AnyDVD on my Laptop, rip the movie to a .iso.

Then, mount the Iso with DaemonTools lite (free) and play it with PowerDVD 9.

Works flawless.

I have dual Hard Drives in my Laptop, If yours has the Option, I'd highly recommend installing one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deja-vu

Thanks for the respond.

A few followup questions

"Then, mount the Iso with DaemonTools lite (free) and play it with PowerDVD 9."

What does mount mean? will this work with TMT or just powerdvd 9? I like the way TMT looks better, but if powerdvd 9 works and is simple I will change my opnion

"I have dual Hard Drives in my Laptop, If yours has the Option, I'd highly recommend installing one."

My laptop has a 64gb SSD and 500gb HDD, so what do you mean installing one? This is not a desktop. I also bought a 640gb Toshiba External drive that I was planing on storing my Bluray files because I heard they can be 10gb per file. so my plan was to put around 50 movies and delete old ones or watched ones as I go.

thanks for the help. I am new to the game.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Why does no one seem to use DVDFab for Bluray ripping?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have checked Totalmedia Theater 3's website and cant find what formats it accepts for playback.

My goal is to rip the blu-ray to an external harddrive and then play that file with TMT 3.

Does Mpeg-4 have less quality than MKV and Iso?

I am really lost on this and cant seem to find a straight answer. It is just alot of people talking about what you could do and not what they do!

thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 /forum/post/18263506

Deja-vu

Thanks for the respond.

A few followup questions

"Then, mount the Iso with DaemonTools lite (free) and play it with PowerDVD 9."

What does mount mean? will this work with TMT or just powerdvd 9? I like the way TMT looks better, but if powerdvd 9 works and is simple I will change my opnion

"I have dual Hard Drives in my Laptop, If yours has the Option, I'd highly recommend installing one."

My laptop has a 64gb SSD and 500gb HDD, so what do you mean installing one? This is not a desktop. I also bought a 640gb Toshiba External drive that I was planing on storing my Bluray files because I heard they can be 10gb per file. so my plan was to put around 50 movies and delete old ones or watched ones as I go.

thanks for the help. I am new to the game.

PowerDVD needs to see a virtual Drive where the Iso is mounted in.

This is where Daemontools comes in. TMT will work with it, too.

These programs won't play an iso without Daemontools mounting the Image first.

(as far as I know, anyways, someone correct me if I'm wrong please.)

Ok, so your Laptop has two Drives, one for the OS and one for Storage.

The full Iso will be around 45 GB, that is the full BD Movie with all the menu's, Trailers, etc.

Unless you extract the Movie only with, let's say BD-Rebuilder, then you end up with around 22 GB.

If you compress it down to 10 GB, you might as well watch a DVD.

(that is just my opinion)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/18263522

Why does no one seem to use DVDFab for Bluray ripping?

i was wondering that too.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18265099

i was wondering that too.

I don't useDVDFab anymore, it had too many issues with some Blu-Ray Titles.

The Folks at AnyDvd update their Software constantly, and is the best Software for Blu-Ray ripping so far.

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What kind of issues did you have with DVDFab? I like them for DVD ripping a lot, but now that I have a Bluray drive I'm trying to find out what the best software is. Always thought about using AnyDVD, but some software protections freak out if they see it.

So eac3to or MakeMKV need AnyDVD running in the background, or do they decrypt too? Or do just use AnyDVD to rip, and then MakeMKV/eac3to for post processing?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ripping them to image (iso) is the best way to get exact replicas of blurays. They can use around 30GB's per bluray. if using iso's you'll need a program to mount them like clonedvd. This will add a virtual bluray drive and when you open the movie it will mount it to the virtual drive making the laptop think it's actually in the drive. Then you can use any player to watch it. I use TMT3 as I think it works best. also TMT will play most formats without a problem.

There's all kinds of ways to compress the image but most will degrade the quality. So the choices are up to you.

honestly If you're planning on having a lot of movies on the go I'd suggest dumping the SSD and getting another 500+GB harddrive if you can. I don't know if your SSD is built in to the motherboard or is replaceable with a harddrive. Also you could get an external 2TB drive to fill with your movies.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Quote:
What kind of issues did you have with DVDFab?

Sometimes crashing, sometimes it simply won't recognize the movie, isn't updated as frequently as AnyDVD...the list goes on...

Do yourself a favor and just get AnyDVD with Lifetime updates.

You won't look back.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts