AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a new TV, in 08 I bought 2 Panasonic top of the line 46 Plasma's for bed rooms and one LN 52 650a LCD Samsung ecause of living room light.SMART CHOICE. All TV's have been great but the Samsung has exceded all exspectations. The Pannies are a little better at color textures but for resolution the 650A womps em good. I was reading where some people say the old a model 650's Sammies were better than the new ones? My 650a kicks butt and I want a Tv as good or better. I do not care if it is LCD LED or Plas but want a true videophile tv that is ready for the future formats which I have no idea what they are? So far from my viewing point in the stores the LED's seam a little over done in colors ? THANKyou! I am a old member, just been loving my TV's for over 3 years so no need to post. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I have two Samsung 650's. One is an LN46A650 and the other is an LN37B650. They are both perfect to my eyes and I have been very happy. In fact, I visit electronic stores probably 2-3 times a week just to keep up with what's available, but I haven't found one that I want to "replace" my Samsungs with yet. When I do decide that I want a new one, I hope to move the two I have into other rooms.

You and I have been very fortunate.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I've worked in the electronics dept. of a major retailer for 5 years now. The A and B 650

Samsungs were imho a high water mark for Samsng LCD or LED televisions. Some of their current sets will equal them or slightly exceed them for pq as far as deep blacks and color, but at the cost of nasty flashlighting and uneven screen illumination due to the edge lit led design. The few remaining ccfl models don't measure up to them either.

For pure overall pq with excellent screen uniformity Samsung doesn't make anything better today. Unless you feel you must have 3D or insist on having internet apps in the tv that can be done just as well with a Blu Ray player I think any new Samsung would actually be a downgrade.

It's not so much a matter of cheapening of the sets as a change in backlight technology from ccfl to edge-lit led that makes the new sets just not as good.

There may be better sets available now, Samsung doesn't make them. I'm thinking in terms of the Sony 929 or new Sharp Elite models or perhaps the LG nano--all of which are pretty spendy.

For the time being it might be smart to keep the excellent tv you already have and satisfy your upgrade itch with a new audio setup?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yaa I thought the old A model may have been special,what about a good plasma ? I have 2 pannie 85Pzu's plasma and they do not hold up to the A650 how good are thhe newer Plasma's? The old Pioneer were te best I had seen.

I have more audio than you can imagine. Been collecting records for 30 years and just the needle on my Sota Cosmos cost more than alot of flat screens. Thankyou for the much needed info.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
My memory of that model Panny plasma is non-existent. I would say that except for a little less maximum torch-mode brightness the ST30 and up Panasonic plasmas would be at least as good as the A650, and current pricing for 50-55 inch sets is well under 2k.

The A650 was a great set, and nothing from Samsung right now is imho as good when you look at both pq and screen uniformity. There are other makes, however, and some of them are as good as or better than the A650, if a little pricey. It's a great set but not a collector's item. If it's lasted this long without the Samsung Capacitor problem it's probably good for a few more years at least, by which time better sets will be cheaper.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Nothing wrong with the C650, just that by then fewer were being sold because more folks bought into the LED hype.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.