AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother-in-law is on the market for an HDTV to replace her aging 27" tube TV and has a budget of approximately $900. She's not a videophile by any means, but she really likes the Sony Bravia that my wife and I have in our bedroom. Looking for something in the 32" to 37" range, which eliminates most of the top manufacturers from the mix. I've read a lot of good things about the Westinghouse 32w6, which looks like a good fit for her . What other sets should I look at in this price range? How do the Vizio LCDs compare to this Westy? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Look at the Syntax Olevia LCD sets. I have a Syntax Olevia 532V. Paid under $800 for it about 5 months ago. The 5 series Olevia TVs are a great value. The picture on SD is good, and the HD picture is outstanding! 1600:1 contrast ratio, ATSC tuner built in, firmware upgradeable via rear USB port, on-site tech support for one year. I purchased mine from Beach Camera, who are the "anti-Brooklyn/NYC shyster" electronics seller. They are a great company to deal with. Great prices and fast shipping. The Olevia website is simply www.olevia.com

I can tell you simply that IMO, they offer the best bang for the buck right now, better than even Vizio or Westinghouse.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I saw the Olevias at CompUSA and CC, and they have a good picture, but when you compare them side-by-side with a Sony or Samsung, the difference in PQ is obvious...of course, you're gonna fork over almost double for the Sony or Sammy compared to the Olevia.

·
Registered
114 Posts

MitsuDude said:
I saw the Olevias at CompUSA and CC, and they have a good picture, but when you compare them side-by-side with a Sony or Samsung, the difference in PQ is obvious...of course, you're gonna fork over almost double for the Sony or Sammy compared to the Olevia.[/QUOTE

That is a legitimate issue when you have no price limitations. But on a budget, you would be hard pressed to find a better combo of price, build quality, features, and picture quality thaan the Olevia LCDs

·
Registered
685 Posts

gusbuf said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuDude /forum/post/0

I saw the Olevias at CompUSA and CC, and they have a good picture, but when you compare them side-by-side with a Sony or Samsung, the difference in PQ is obvious...of course, you're gonna fork over almost double for the Sony or Sammy compared to the Olevia.[/QUOTE

That is a legitimate issue when you have no price limitations. But on a budget, you would be hard pressed to find a better combo of price, build quality, features, and picture quality thaan the Olevia LCDs

Which was my point exactly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What of the Westy LTV-32w6? I was at BB last night (where it's currently on sale), and I was able to coax a pretty dang nice picture out of it. Easily as good as the Samsung (the Sammy had high-motion artifacting), though not quite the same shadow detail as the Sony.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGecko /forum/post/0

What of the Westy LTV-32w6? I was at BB last night (where it's currently on sale), and I was able to coax a pretty dang nice picture out of it. Easily as good as the Samsung (the Sammy had high-motion artifacting), though not quite the same shadow detail as the Sony.

I have the 32w6 and I love it. I bought it about a month ago and never had any problem with it. Picture is great and the HD content is amazing. Just make sure with any LCD tv invest in a calibration dvd (avia,dve,etc..)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an olevia 337. good tv for the money,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. At this point I'm leaning towards the Westy, partly because it gets good reviews in here and fits the budget pretty nicely. Besides, my mother-in-law lives in a relatively rural area with very few electronics stores, but there is a BB nearby. Thanks again!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Go to your Wal-Mart store and look at the Emerson EWL3706 LCD HDTV Widescreen. And you'll even save some money also. There are pics of what it looks like in action for HD, SD, Component DVD and S-Video that have posted. Just search for my screen name or Emerson .

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Go with either the Vizio 37" or Westinghouse 37"

Both are just a hundred over your budget & are IMHGO the best quality TV's at that size/price.

Don't get a 32", it measure's the exact same size as a 27" 4:3 tube TV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.