AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just moved into a new apartment and bought a Samsung UN55D6500. Everything that is fed to the TV is running through my Harman Kardon AVR 354 receiver. In the past I connected the TV and all components via HDMI and everything worked fine.

Now, my issue in the new apartment is that the walls are pre-wired for speakers (several in ceiling speakers, etc.) and video - but the video wiring is 3RCA component only and it seems like running HDMI through the walls will be a major p.i.t.a. so I think I'll be stuck with component for now.

So, given this setup, I have the following questions and would greatly appreciate it someone could shed some light on this for me:

- The Samsung doesn't actually have 3RCA component inputs, they have this converter from component to what looks like a little stereo plug, just a little longer - will that hurt picture quality?

- The HK seems to only output 1080i via Component and not 1080p - any idea why?

- When I connect the Playstation 3 via HDMI to the HK, it won't let me output the signal to Component - it says "Copyrighted input, select HDMI out" ... ?

- Overall, am I giving up a lot in picture quality by going via component (1080i) rather than HDMI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslx /forum/post/20881681

- The Samsung doesn't actually have 3RCA component inputs, they have this converter from component to what looks like a little stereo plug, just a little longer - will that hurt picture quality?

Nope, it's just a custom connector to reduce the space the 3 RCA jacks would have consumed. Same signals.

Quote:
- The HK seems to only output 1080i via Component and not 1080p - any idea why?

Because 1080i is the max the component video spec allowed (until recently, but very few components supported 1080p).

Quote:
- When I connect the Playstation 3 via HDMI to the HK, it won't let me output the signal to Component - it says "Copyrighted input, select HDMI out" ... ?

"They" won't allow the digital signal to be converted to analog (component), to prevent you from "stealing" the content.

To run component video to your TV, you'll need to run component video from each of your sources to your HK as well. No HDMI in the mix...

Quote:
- Overall, am I giving up a lot in picture quality by going via component (1080i) rather than HDMI?

You probably won't notice it. Just realize that you are coming in a different input on the TV, so you may have to adjust the picture settings again - I did an A/B comparison of HDMI vs. Component on my DLP set a while back. Couldn't see an obvious difference, but I did at first until I realized the brightness/contrast/color controls were set "wrong".

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.