AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 3535 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I might have to give one a try from some place that will allow returns. I'm just not sure it's going to be bright enough, but it sounds pretty impressive from the reviews.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi zombie 10K,

Curious, how's this compared with the Optoma HD91? You got, IIRC, about 600 ansi calibrated to D65 for the HD91 (not too far off) but it has a better Fujinon lens and larger 0.65" DLP chip.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Roughly $1270. No 3D glasses, but came with a tripod and HDTV antenna.
Built-in speakers are surprisingly loud and not horrible.
Perhaps, 3D brightness is low (~ 450 ansi?) and too dim to be acceptable here. So they took 3D out and made it more affordable. Smarter marketing move, unlike Optoma. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
is sure the new dmd .47 no official news or yes?
@Seegs108
with this monster of runco i want to ask you

i have pf80 antecesor and me main disappoint with the lg is the dirty picture that make the lack of sharpness because the optic or excessive treatment of the picture processor

i want to know if this proyector fix this issue

Saludos

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I walked into an LG store here in Korea and picked this up. It has 3D support built-in. Attached are remote pictures showing differences between the US model pictures posted in the thread earlier.
I think it's more than the remote. Any 3D capable projector will sync to 3D mode automatically once a 3D is source is present. The US model ignores the signal and goes straight into 2D mode.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Hi zombie 10K,

Curious, how's this compared with the Optoma HD91? You got, IIRC, about 600 ansi calibrated to D65 for the HD91 (not too far off) but it has a better Fujinon lens and larger 0.65" DLP chip.
The lens was sharper on the HD91 but the PF1500 can hold it's own, even on my 142" 16:9 2.8HP. The HD91 also had full lens shift which is a nice feature. One area of the Optoma I did not like was the digital 'iris'. It was too obvious and caused pumping that was distracting. I ended up turning it off for most viewing which defeats it's intended purpose. native contrast was imo, below average even for the DLP's (my .95 DC4 Planar has a clearly better image than the Optoma, sharpness, constrast, etc).

The 3D was too dim on the Optoma to be of practical use, so I would have used it for 2D only. Looking at $950 vs. $3500 it's a no brainer to choose the LG. I expect to see the Optoma's on fire sale at woot eventually, there must be an inventory of them somewhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Input lag is very high. I measured 169.8 ms of input lag from the Leo Bodnar Input Lag Tester (this uses a 1080p 60hz input to test). Oddly enough, enabling other post processing features such as either frame interpolation mode (smooth motion) didn't add any input lag. For comparison I got 23.3ms on the Q750i. Most DLP models at or above this price point are usually much lower. It doesn't appear this is a "gamer friendly" projector. The projector is basically running an operating system in the background at all times and I think this is why the lag is so high.
Was this tested using 'Game' mode? I know with my PF85U there is a huge difference in input lag between 'Game' and the other modes.
On the PF85U the other modes are also around 170ms so I bet it will drop to 66ms in 'Game' mode like the PF85U does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm looking for some type of mount for this PJ (kinda sad to see others having no luck using cctv or camera mounts).I need something long due to a high vaulted ceiling.I'm currently using an old re-purposed ceiling fan down rod on my outdated Viewsonic PJ658 but I'd like to find something to get down to being more level with screen

·
Registered
43 Posts
the game mode setting had no effect?

for some reason I'm not bothered by the RBE on this projector. I was just watching Oblivion, I can force it but for general viewing I don't think it will be a problem. It's better than the QUMI in this area.

so far it's exactly what I wanted to replace my QUMI for watching TV at night. The Miracast works perfect with my Microsoft Surface pro, Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Tablet.

I would consider opening it up and swapping out those fans for Noctua's, I bet it will be quieter with those fans in high lamp.

this location is about 14 feet from the 142" and fills up the screen ok

Zombie10K

Thanks for your observations. I decided to investigate your idea of swapping in a Noctua fan. Most of them are 120 x 120 mm or even 140 x 140 mm. Too big for a case
that is only 84mm in height. I did find a Noctua fan NF-R8 that is 80 x 80 x 25 mm; it might fit. No one has shown a picture of the insides of this thing....I'm not asking
you to take yours apart, of course. It sure would be nice to know the size of the fan supplied by LG.

Then, too, there are the power requirements. Most of the Noctua fans draw 0.05 amps at 12 volts. So that would have to be taken into consideration.

-Sticks

·
Banned
299 Posts
Zombie10K

Thanks for your observations. I decided to investigate your idea of swapping in a Noctua fan. Most of them are 120 x 120 mm or even 140 x 140 mm. Too big for a case
that is only 84mm in height. I did find a Noctua fan NF-R8 that is 80 x 80 x 25 mm; it might fit. No one has shown a picture of the insides of this thing....I'm not asking
you to take yours apart, of course. It sure would be nice to know the size of the fan supplied by LG.

Then, too, there are the power requirements. Most of the Noctua fans draw 0.05 amps at 12 volts. So that would have to be taken into consideration.

-Sticks
There is a new user in the Brielens LS1280 thread. He goes by the name DTRLPF. He has completly disassembled the projector and photographed all the parts. It's worth scrolling down and checking it out. It made me laugh and smile today.

He would be the perfect guy to see if the Noctua's fans could be modified into the PF1500. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zombie10K

-Sticks
I had this same idea for an Acer projector a while back, unfortunately I went with larger low rpm fans and the projector detected the lower rpm and would shut down because it thought they were failing even though the unit was cool to the touch. I'm not sure if the LG will have this problem but it is something to think about.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
I'm not really doing a shootout. It's just pure coincidence I have a Q750i here at the same time. I've noted in another thread that it would be ridiculous to compare the two as if they were "equals". One MSRPs for far far less and it would be idiotic on my part to assume the LG PF1500 would come equipped with hardware that could equal the Runco and compare them as such. If that were the case there'd be no point in purchasing higher end projectors.

So far, I've done a very basic setup and dialed a few things in. Later I'm going to do a quick auto-calibrate with my Lumagen and sit down and enjoy a movie. So far I'm impressed with how bright this thing is. It offers a reasonably sharp image considering it's lens and an insanely small DMD. The speakers on this little unit are very good. Exceeding the sound quality of my Dell XPS 14. Much louder without distortion. Dialog is crisp, highly intelligible and with enough frequency response in the male dialog range to sound full. Definitely good enough for a quick movie setup without the need for separate speakers.
hehe.

To me, the thought of using built-in speakers on a projector is like putting bicycle tires on a monster truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These first reports on the PF1500 sound great. I've been using a PA75U for the last 18 months and been very happy considering the price I paid for it at the time. This seems like the perfect step up for us - we never took advantage of the 3D or the TV tuner on the PA75U, so we won't miss them on the PF1500.

Has anyone seen a downloadable version of the manual for the PF1500 yet?

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
It's on par with DLP projectors in this price range. I measured 1800:1. Some things of note;

• Pro's:
  • I really like the "Smart TV" features this projector brings. It's a breath of fresh air to have all this extra functionality at the tips of your fingers. Pre-loaded you can have access to Spotify, Netflix, Hulu and a few other apps.
  • It's extremely bright for an LED projector. I'm getting around 700 lumens after my Lumagen Auto-Calibration. Even higher if you're fine with some of the out of the box modes.
  • Considering the DMD size you're able to get a reasonably sharp looking image. Not quite as sharp as some of the other .65" DMD DLP projectors at or around this price, but pretty close.
  • It's extremely quiet in Medium and Low brightness mode. It's highest output mode is probably around 40 dB if I had to guess, the other two modes cut that in half if I had to take a guess. I don't have a dB meter.
  • The speakers are excellent. Better than a good set of laptop speakers and they're able to go loud without distortion.
  • Plenty of image pop. The relatively good native contrast, decent lens performance, and high brightness really give the image a good three dimensional feel in brighter scenes.
  • It's extremely portable. The small footprint, tripod compatible mounting, great speakers, and wireless capabilities including smart TV apps really make this a great portable projector to bring with you on the go.
  • It's got freakin' LEDs!! The best part about this projector is that you get the typical DLP PQ that other projectors give you in this price range, but you get an extremely long lasting reliable light source for "free" when you consider the price of similarly endowed projectors.

Cons:
  • There is no dynamic dimming technique to boost on/off contrast performance. This is the biggest blow that this projector could have had. The "Dynamic Contrast" settings are merely digital contrast enhancements. Each mode alters the amount of contrast on a frame by frame basis to exacerbate the amount of digital contrast in each frame. Because this isn't done optically by lowering the amount of lumens through the light engine (combined with dynamic gamma) you're stuck with the native amount of contrast. So depending on zoom and placement expect 2000:1 contrast at the high end.
  • Input lag is very high. I measured 169.8 ms of input lag from the Leo Bodnar Input Lag Tester (this uses a 1080p 60hz input to test). Oddly enough, enabling other post processing features such as either frame interpolation mode (smooth motion) didn't add any input lag. For comparison I got 23.3ms on the Q750i. Most DLP models at or above this price point are usually much lower. It doesn't appear this is a "gamer friendly" projector. The projector is basically running an operating system in the background at all times and I think this is why the lag is so high.
  • There is quite a bit of visible RBE, aka the rainbow effect. There are fewer visible occurrences than on a UHP/color wheel DLP projector with similar brightness and contrast, but still there's visible RBE quite a bit more than on other LED DLP projectors such as the Q750i. Considering the Q750i has practically the same lumen output, I can only guess that LG for some reason is choosing to cycle the LEDs much slower to do sequential color. This makes color breakup that much easier to see. I don't know why. Perhaps this is a limitation of this new .47" DMD and how fast it's response time is for mirror movements.
  • There is a fixed offset to the lens. I don't know the exact angle, but I'd guess around 30 degrees. When there's no lens shift, an offset makes setup more difficult.
  • There is a red reflection on screen at all times. It's really only clearly visible on an all black background and I believe it's coming from the reddish accent ring at the end of the lens. I suppose some black velvet material and glue could easily fix this.

All in all, this is an impressive projector when you take into account all that LG gives you at this price point. They're basically giving you a projector just as capable as others at this price point, but adding in Smart TV capabilities and an LED light engine for the same price as other lamp based units. Does it have an image as refined as something in the $1500-$3000 price range? No, but it's overall performance is on par with that of other DLP units at or below $1000 plus the benefits previously mentioned. And these benefits definitely add lots of value.

If there's a way for LG to update this unit via firmware to include DLP Link 3D, a true (decent performing) LED dimming dynamic contrast implementation, and lower the input lag to at least 50ms then I think this projector would be an absolute steal at this price point. Consider all this can be done via software/processing LG could definitely offer such improvements down the road.
Awww, that's too bad. 168ms input lag is a deal breaker. I wonder if there's a setting in the service menu that can defeat the processing. If disabling FI doesn't reduce input lag, something is wrong and processing is still being applied. FI adds at least a frame or two of lag, one would guess. That's fine for movies or TV but sucks for games. I was actually considering getting this one and selling my w1070 but it looks like I'll have to wait longer.

Hopefully BenQ gets on the LED bandwagon now for their next gen 4k consumer grade stuff. They at least get it that there are a lot of gamers out there, and projectors are pretty great for that.

Also, not dynamically dimming the bulb based on the signal is another dealbreaker. I love the smart eco feature on my current projector too much. Getting this would be a serious downgrade compared to my 3 year old w1070, cost double and give me half the lumens. LEDs might be the future, but they aren't a good deal (yet) for the present IMO.

·
Banned
299 Posts
These first reports on the PF1500 sound great. I've been using a PA75U for the last 18 months and been very happy considering the price I paid for it at the time. This seems like the perfect step up for us - we never took advantage of the 3D or the TV tuner on the PA75U, so we won't miss them on the PF1500.

Has anyone seen a downloadable version of the manual for the PF1500 yet?
Here is a PDF file of the PF1500 Users Manual:

Down Load it here: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/6ZObdHPqgeH05KThMjzoIX2sxiKymITKKo5i_SmvbZ0?ref_=cd_share_link_email

501 - 520 of 3535 Posts