AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posted on Best Buy Web Site!!!

LG Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD High-Definition Player with Standard-DVD Upconversion

Model: BH100

With the ability to play both Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs, in addition to upconverting standard DVDs, this versatile system delivers crisp and clear images with rich layers of sound that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

Next-generation HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc format compatible, for true HDTV video with amazing color and incredible high-resolution surround sound

Delivers greatly enhanced video performance with standard DVDs by upconverting their video resolution to HDTV-compliant 720p, 1080i or 1080p

Built-in Dolby Digital Plus, DTS and DTS-HD decoders, plus 5.1-channel audio output

·
Registered
27,568 Posts
I saw a CNBC interview with an analyst. He said because of the high price point, it will make zero impact. No surprise.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

I saw a CNBC interview with an analyst. He said because of the high price point, it will make zero impact. No surprise.

Interesting. A few hundred more than the Sony - same as the Panny and Pioneer. I thought maybe it was at a price point for people who wanted to hedge

their bets.

I thought licensing issues were holding up combo players...

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

Considering the only real benefit to HD-DVD now is the price, I doubt most HD-DVD adopters will plunk down the cash. What about BD adopters you say? It appears, from what I see, most of them are not interested in this.

A little down the road there may be a small group that wants this.... It will basically be a BD player that also plays CD's, DVD's and their old HD-DVD's.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Have you guys been hybernating for the past couple of weeks? There are tons of threads related to the LG announcement already. First some people were excited about that, then reportedly DVD Forum blocked the LG player from getting the HD-DVD licence for not meeting the full HDDVD specs (iHD).

Regardless, this player even if released will remain as a niche player at best.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus /forum/post/0

Have you guys been hybernating for the past couple of weeks? There are tons of threads related to the LG announcement already. First some people were excited about that, then reportedly DVD Forum blocked the LG player from getting the HD-DVD licence for not meeting the full HDDVD specs (iHD).

Regardless, this player even if released will remain as a niche player at best.

If you look at the picture on the Best Buy there is no HD-DVD logo like the one we have seen at the CES ... this is weird

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it were cheaper and suported the hdi I would make an impact as I would most likely find its way into my hands.

at that price I can have two palyers cheaper than one. I have $900 in my ps3 and hd-a2. $$$ is my bottom line. plus I can game on a ps3 if I chose. that lg player is more with less features than having separte players.

I still think hd-dvd has a better picture though. I consider that and advantage.

I think if lg was smart they would release a second gen for $500-$600 that supports both formats. to me then it would be a no brainer.

lets face it no format has full studio support yet.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkubus /forum/post/0

I bet you by mid year you'll be able to have one around 600$

But LG! This should have started out $600 and ended up $300. As some inside industry in general, state China's ultra-low prices won't be around for as long as most think. AKA meaning their costs are going up quickly to.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkubus /forum/post/0

If you look at the picture on the Best Buy there is no HD-DVD logo like the one we have seen at the CES ... this is weird

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610378688

Search the forum - there is no HD-DVD logo because LG didn't get the license. The player does not support full HD-DVD interactivity so its not really a true full HD-DVD player and the HD-DVD association is not licening their logo for it.

http://ces.betanews.com/entry/LG_Hyb..._Is/1168407626

I think there is an article on CEPRO about it also.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
If you want to see some pics head over to the HD DVD player section and search the threads over there. I took some this morning of the unit, which is already on sale at certain CompUSA stores. I posted some quick impressions and will get my photos up to photobucket later tonight so I can post them here for those interested in seeing it. Forgive the poor quality of most of the shots as I was in a hurry and am not really a great photographer, to be honest.

edit Sorry, I meant to say that the pics will be up later tonight in that other thread. There are none there currently. I will upload them after work for those interested.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

Why would anyone get this if you can get both a PS3 and an HD-A2 for less than $1000, both probably better at bluray and HD-DVD playback than the LG player.

Good question.

All I can figure is a lot of people prefer stand alones. Still, it will be interesting to see how it sells.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
IMO, what makes the LG so important is not the actual player, but the pressure it puts on other manufacturers to also come out with dual format players (clearly there are no longer any patent obstacles in the way, as others thought just a few months ago).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
pcweber found them on sale at CompUSA, he includes some pics in the other thread. I'm amazed they were that ready to go after CES, given that the announcement seemed to be a surprise.

It's a real shame they didn't completely implement the HD DVD - HDi functionality. Maybe I'll be more forgiving after it drops a few hundred bucks...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.