AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, got a 49UJ6200 about two weeks ago, and last night (first time watching it in a dark room), I noticed very obvious bright patch on upper left corner when starting up (blank screen with only backlight on). Researched a bit and now I know it was called clouding and mine was pretty bad to begin with, basically you could see bright patches on four quadrants, leaving a darker cross in the screen center.

I know this set is a budget line and not famous for best black, but I want to make sure that I'm not getting a defective one before my exchange time is up.

I used the rtings 6300 settings (or tried to, since a few settings mentioned on my set were grayed out). I don't know if the brightness and "expert dark room" setting has anything to do with black uniformity.

Did "rub/massage" trick for quite a bit time, and I thought it was better by my naked eyes, but using a phone taking a photo on the screen, I can still see the four patches.

Any inputs are appreciated. My point is, if it is pretty much all as bad as mine, I won't bother hauling it to bestbuy and exchange it, I got a heck of a deal and can live with it if it could be no better.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Welcome to the world of LCD sets....seriously though, did you read rtings review? This set has really bad black uniformity..hence the clouding on an all black screen. I think it is normal for this set. Might be a little better when content is shown in a bright room. I wouldn't be able to watch that TV. My 10 year old Sony LCD has better uniformity than that TV. For LED TV's, I'd stick with Sony, but if you're really on a tight budget, Vizio or TCL has some decent sets....The only TV I would get from LG is from their OLED line...seriously, they make crap LCD sets for some reason.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My old Samsung HDTV recently went out and I quickly went ahead with a 49" LG UJ6200 set. Boy, I wish I had more time to read some of the reviews on the internet.

The picture quality looks like it's from one of the first HDTVs ever produced. Anything dark or black is washed out from the overpowering backlight. If the backlight is down too low, dark objects/scenes essentially become hazy silhouettes. If it's too high, then I am blinded by any kind of bright background that appears. The picture brightness also varies wildly and is never consistent. While most HD content looks bright and vivid, almost every Drew Carey episode is so dark and dull that it looks like it was filmed in dungeon rather than in a studio.

The color is awful too. SD content either looks washed out or unnatural. Bright yellow/tan objects look way off, like the color of mustard or ball park mustard. (This particularly bothers me with The Simpsons). Sometimes the yellows tend to look a little greenish. People with dark blond hair look like they have had the Midas touch. The screen also makes SD shows look like they are being shown on a rear screen projection TV with that transparency look.

HD content is decent, but I'm still bothered by the issues as previously mentioned. The only real advantage is watching something that is truly in 4K with little/no dark areas. Oh, and speaking of 4K, this TV is technically considered 3K since 25% of it's pixels are constantly white. It uses a RGBW pixel set instead of the traditional RGB. This probably explains why the dark colors have no richness and the bright colors are blindingly bright.

I've adjusted various picture, white balance & color management settings but still can't obtain the picture quality that I'm looking for. I went to a restaurant today and the 2 year old TV there which is probably using the factory presets looked almost perfect in my opinion. It was a night & day difference compared to the LG UJ6200. I seriously can't understand why quality gets worse as time goes on. I expect new electronics to be on par or better than the ones made several years ago, not the other way around. Heck, even the screen on my laptop had very little color saturation along with a horrible blue tint from the factory, but I was able to correct it and obtain somewhat satisfactory results via the Intel control panel. I've never had a laptop screen with such bad calibration, and there have been several newer laptops that I worked on that also suffer from the same problem.

I'm in the process of trying to exchange the LG for another brand, probably for the Samsung NU7100 -- the one with the traditional remote. Other than that, the operation of the TV is good. The menus are a bit clumsy and the sound is horrible but that can be fixed with external speakers. It's a shame the screen produces a pretty poor picture. I would have expected more from LG, especially after seeing my neighbor's non-4K LG. It seems that I just can't win with HDTVs.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yes, normal. Turning up the brightness setting still likely make it worse, as brightness controls black level.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
LG's I shiver when someone buy a LCD from LG.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Did "rub/massage" trick for quite a bit time,
When I had Expensive LG ($14,000 yes $14000 in Australia) I tried all the trick to fix it even I called a Priest as he blessed that room but even then my issue were bad yet it paid $14,000 for a 86 inch LG Telle full of issues.
I say get rid of it or pay a little more and get one with Local Dimming but even then LG has the worse when it come to Local Dimming.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I exchanged the LG for a Samsung NU7100 yesterday. BIG improvement with the picture! Much better color reproduction and black levels that are closer to if not better than my last Samsung. I was a little skeptical about the viewing angle as RTINGS.com and some customer reviews bashed the washed out colors when viewed off-centered, but honestly it doesn't look too bad when viewed from a good distance away from the set. I rather put up with that then the dark, unnatural colors that the LG displayed. I was also was skeptical of buying another Samsung as my last one had various problems with it, but they appear to be resolved with this one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just recently picked up the 65" version of your set from Walmart for $400 (couldn't resist). An LG 65UJ6200, which from what I understand is the "holiday" version of the UJ6300 series. I definitely do not see that clouding in the corner/s pictured in your post. I just finished a quick calibration using my old (HD-DVD) DVE High Definition disc and watched Interstellar blu-ray which looked great.

But, after I ejected the disc I noticed a strange diagonal shading type image on the screen. Not sure if it's some sort of interference, but it is definitely not present while watching disc content or cable channels.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I just recently picked up the 65" version of your set from Walmart for $400 (couldn't resist). An LG 65UJ6200, which from what I understand is the "holiday" version of the UJ6300 series. I definitely do not see that clouding in the corner/s pictured in your post. I just finished a quick calibration using my old (HD-DVD) DVE High Definition disc and watched Interstellar blu-ray which looked great.

But, after I ejected the disc I noticed a strange diagonal shading type image on the screen. Not sure if it's some sort of interference, but it is definitely not present while watching disc content or cable channels.
The RTINGS.com review for the UJ6300 states that the IPS panel is prone to temporary image retention, which looks like what I'm seeing in your picture when I tilt back my laptop's screen. It should clear up if you display a solid white image on the screen or turn off the TV for several minutes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The RTINGS.com review for the UJ6300 states that the IPS panel is prone to temporary image retention, which looks like what I'm seeing in your picture when I tilt back my laptop's screen. It should clear up if you display a solid white image on the screen or turn off the TV for several minutes.
Thanks. I left the TV on my cable feed for an hour, but that diagonal image persists. Not a big deal to me at this point, since it's only visible upon ejecting a blu-ray. I may try contacting LG support tomorrow and see if it's something to be concerned about. If I get close to the screen I can make out faint diagonal lines which make up that dark/split image.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks. I left the TV on my cable feed for an hour, but that diagonal image persists. Not a big deal to me at this point, since it's only visible upon ejecting a blu-ray. I may try contacting LG support tomorrow and see if it's something to be concerned about. If I get close to the screen I can make out faint diagonal lines which make up that dark/split image.
It doesn't look like image retention, it's probably just a uniformity issue present at that level of grey (whatever level LG chose for its no signal screen). I don't know if LG would do anything about it. Also of note, from what I've seen, these panels in the larger sizes tend to have less noticeable uniformity issues than the 43". The 43" also have poor backlight longevity, relative to other sizes (I've seen multiple store displays of this model and other low price 43" TVs left on 24 hours a day at max brightness with decaying phosphors--i.e. they turn excessively blue--in under a year. That's still quite a few years of regular usage of course).

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
It doesn't look like image retention, it's probably just a uniformity issue present at that level of grey (whatever level LG chose for its no signal screen). I don't know if LG would do anything about it. Also of note, from what I've seen, these panels in the larger sizes tend to have less noticeable uniformity issues than the 43". The 43" also have poor backlight longevity, relative to other sizes (I've seen multiple store displays of this model and other low price 43" TVs left on 24 hours a day at max brightness with decaying phosphors--i.e. they turn excessively blue--in under a year. That's still quite a few years of regular usage of course).
You're right. I went back into the picture settings, after tweaking them with DVE, and found I had lowered Backlight to 50%. I raised it to 65% and that diagonal fade disappeared. :eek:
My bad, nothing wrong with the set, fortunately.

I had my doubts about keeping this set after reading the poor rtngs.com review and general negative comments about LG's RGBW use in the low to mid-range tiers. But after watching a few blu-rays and the 4K Blade Runner 2049 last night, I'm satisfied for what it cost me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Software Version 04.70.50
I think mine was up to v5.0 right before I took it back.

I had my doubts about keeping this set after reading the poor rtngs.com review and general negative comments about LG's RGBW use in the low to mid-range tiers. But after watching a few blu-rays and the 4K Blade Runner 2049 last night, I'm satisfied for what it cost me.
That's good that this TV is working out for you. As long as you're happy with it, that all that counts.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're right. I went back into the picture settings, after tweaking them with DVE, and found I had lowered Backlight to 50%. I raised it to 65% and that diagonal fade disappeared. :eek:
My bad, nothing wrong with the set, fortunately.

Good to here that it's working for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts