AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just added some lights in my theater. They are low voltage halogens. They are causing my projector (power supply I guess) to hum whenever they are on. I'm using a dimmer designed for low voltage electronic transformers, which is what is says to use.

I've tried to isolate the PJ from ground loop hum by using a 3 -2 plug adapter (effectively isolating it from ground). It still hums.

Obviously the hum is worse at lower light levels, but still noticable when the lights are fully on.

I also have the same problem, (not as loud) when my wife has the downstairs foyer light dimmed halfway. It's a standard incandecent light, with a normal rotary dimmer.

Anybody got any good ideas as to how to eliminate the hums. Also, is this humming really hurting anything or is it just annoying??

·
Registered
326 Posts
OH NO!

I purchaced some low voltage cable track lights for my HT, havn't put them up yet, but I don't like the sound of this... SOrry I cant provide a solution... But I can bump this thread for you :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I am not sure but the hum is usually just annoying and does not hurt anything but in any case I would want to get rid of it. Some suggestions that may work are:

1. feed the lights from a different breaker or breaker on a different phase.

2. Buy a power conditioner like the PS line for the projector alone but this may be very expensive and I am not sure if it will work. You should call the manufacturer.

3. Get rid of the lights and use regular incandescent lights. In any case the projector and audio/video equipment should be on a dedicated circuit breaker.

4. Get rid of the dimmer and use a regular switch. Cheapest and easiest way.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this problem and replaced the transformer dimmer with one of the electronic dimmers. The transformer hum is gone for good.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've done some experimenting this morning. I temporarily took out the dimmer, and the hum goes away, so it doesn't appear to be caused by the low voltage halogens.

I was using an electronic dimmer, and it still does it. I changes that out to a regular dimmer (Spacer) that is for incandescent loads. Humming is the same as with the other dimmer.

The lights are on a dedicated circuit, the projector is on a separate circuit. I've tried connecting stuff to every combination of both legs of the panel.

I can live with the hum (for awhile) if it's not damaging to my Sony 10HT projector.

JSquared - What kind of dimmer did you use.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
The transformer is the culprit here. Make certain your electronic transformer is rated for dimming applications...most are not. If it is not, replace it with either a higher quality electronic transformer or a magnetic low voltage transformer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.