AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I've been looking for about a week now for solutions that I can use to start my home automation but yet also solve a problem that I'm currently facing.

I want to add 4 sconces in my living room, there's no direct way to cable them all together without some major work and I want them all to turn on at once with a convenient wall switch location.

I've been debating this solution:

INSTEON Remote Control In-Line On/Off Switch (Non-Dimming)

www. insteon. net/2475s-in-linelinc-relay. html

Overview of setup:

sconce 1 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 2 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 3 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 4 -- in-line switch -- electricity

switch -- electricity (this powers on/off the 4 in-line switches).

My problem then lies in which switch to use. As far as I can see there's no switch offered by insteon that controls a remote unit without using some sort of home automation controller. The only switch i can find is a scene switch (www. insteon. net/2486dwh6-keypadlinc. html) but this isn't what i want. I want a standard rocker switch.

Questions:

A - Do you guys know of a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

B - Is insteon the best way to go? Should I invest in another HA product?

C - Why doesn't this seem like it's done more often? It appears most of the ideas are around retrofitting existing switches and not adding new ones.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshot /forum/post/15443343

ok, I've been looking for about a week now for solutions that I can use to start my home automation but yet also solve a problem that I'm currently facing.

I want to add 4 sconces in my living room, there's no direct way to cable them all together without some major work and I want them all to turn on at once with a convenient wall switch location.

I've been debating this solution:

INSTEON Remote Control In-Line On/Off Switch (Non-Dimming)

www. insteon. net/2475s-in-linelinc-relay. html

Overview of setup:

sconce 1 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 2 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 3 -- in-line switch -- electricity

sconce 4 -- in-line switch -- electricity

switch -- electricity (this powers on/off the 4 in-line switches).

My problem then lies in which switch to use. As far as I can see there's no switch offered by insteon that controls a remote unit without using some sort of home automation controller. The only switch i can find is a scene switch (www. insteon. net/2486dwh6-keypadlinc. html) but this isn't what i want. I want a standard rocker switch.

Questions:

A - Do you guys know of a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

B - Is insteon the best way to go? Should I invest in another HA product?

C - Why doesn't this seem like it's done more often? It appears most of the ideas are around retrofitting existing switches and not adding new ones.

Thanks for your help!

You can use an Insteon wall switch (single rocker) to control multiple Insteon devices by linking multiple devices to it and using scenes. For example, look at the manual for the 2476S Wall mounted relay (since you specified non-dimming) http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2476s.pdf . Scenes are discussed on page 15.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.