Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.

I was hoping you could help my brother and I out with something. I'm a long-time RTV 3060 user and just this weekend my bro bought an RTV 5040 (his first unit). During setup we noticed that it downloaded a new operating system (according to the messages) during setup. Anyway, to make a long story short, when the initial setup was complete I started to teach him how to navigate and use his new baby.

Although his 5040 menus differed from my 3060 menus I didn't have much trouble adjusting to his -- and explaining what I thought they did. That is, until I tried setting up a "non-guaranteed" recording. On my 3060 I can, of course, choose 'guaranteed' or 'non-guaranteed' -- but on my bro's 5040 I'm seeing choices like 'Record first run episodes' or 'record first run and repeats,' etc.

I tried searching this forum for info on the subject but was unable to find anything. Couldn't find info on the matter in my bro's users' manual, either. Am I that out of date? Are all of you 5xxx users using this new lingo instead of 'guaranteed' 'non-guaranteed'? And if so, can someone explain the new lingo to me?

Thanks,

Vincent

·
Registered
744 Posts
A new prioritization scheme was introduced with software version 5.0 (current version on 5xxx units).

To make a long story short, the only true "non-guaranteed" recordings you can set up now are theme-based recordings. Otherwise, everything is guaranteed. What changes is the disk management priority assigned to each new replay channel. You can mark a channel "keep until space needed" which basically erases the show when it needs to record something new but doesn't have available space. The other options are "keep until I delete" (will never get deleted unless you manually do so) and "delete only for new episode" (this allows for a maximum of x episodes loaded in that replay channel).

Also with the 5.0 software comes improved conflict resolution. Since everything except theme-based shows are "guaranteed", it can tell you what conflicts with what and allows you to choose what you want to record at the moment the conflict is detected--so you don't have to go back into the replay guide and make something "non-guaranteed" in order to force something else to record.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of. But, for example, I kinda liked being able to setup several 'non-guaranteed' recordings for the Simpsons (which airs multiple times a day) and know that I can override them with a 'guaranteed' recording should the need arise.

How would you do that with version 5.0 software?

[update] I just re-read your reply -- are you saying that if I had a recording set up for Monday, 9pm, channel-A -- and later decided to (inadvertantly) set up a recording for Monday, 9pm, channel-B, that I'd get some kind of message saying, "Hey stupid, do you want channel-A or channel-B recorded at 9pm?"

Or that when one of my programs "slides" from 10 pm to 9pm, causing a conflict, that I'd get a chance to choose a winner? Would the conflict be noticed the day the new channel guide was downloaded, or just minutes before the shows air?

Sorry about all the questions -- I'm just so used to my 3.0 (build 202) software that it's hard to wrap my mind around this!

V.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vperkins2
Sort of. But , for example, I kinda liked being able to setup several 'non-guaranteed' recordings for the Simpsons (which airs multiple times a day) and know that I can override them with a 'guaranteed' recording should the need arise.

How would you do that with version 5.0 software?

V.
Use a "theme" recording and it will always be superceded by a scheduled recording.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
I just re-read your reply -- are you saying that if I had a recording set up for Monday, 9pm, channel-A -- and later decided to (inadvertantly) set up a recording for Monday, 9pm, channel-B, that I'd get some kind of message saying, "Hey stupid, do you want channel-A or channel-B recorded at 9pm?"
That is correct. You get to choose which of the two conflicting programs you want to record. Furthermore, a new icon will show up on the Channel Guide for a weekly recording that has had one of its episodes "superceded" by you via the conflict resolution message. Whereas guaranteed weekly recordings are represented by two filled red circles, a "superceded" weekly record program will show two gray circles.

Quote:

Or that when one of my programs "slides" from 10 pm to 9pm, causing a conflict, that I'd get a chance to choose a winner? Would the conflict be noticed the day the new channel guide was downloaded, or just minutes before the shows air?
This I am not too sure about. I believe that if a schedule change results in a conflict, you will still just get a message from your Replay (after the fact) that it was not able to record.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
to put it simply:

'space needed' = non-guaranteed

'i delete/only for new episode' = guaranteed

there is no more guaranteed over non-guaranteed. instead, there is conflict checking between all recordings (except for themes) when you set up a new recording. a screen will come up listing shows in conflict and you can choose to record the new show and override the others or record the new show only when it doesn't conflict w/ the shows listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.