AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Logitech Bluetooth keyboard/mouse/mediapad? How much range doe it REALLY have? Does it have any of the problems that Microsoft had with theirs? Can anyone find more specs or a better close-up of the mediapad? It looks like it could double as a gamepad for FPS games...mediapad on the left arm rest and mouse on the right. :p

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep, I have it and it is pretty nice. The logitech Bluetooth stack supports more devices than the Mirrosoft one. I have had it disconnect from the receiver a few times and had to resync the connection. This has never occured while in use. Only when not used for some period of time with a few power cycles in between.

The range is pretty good. I use it from about 10-12 feet away, but I walked with the keyboard about 25 feet away and still got good results. Bluetooth in general is supposed to be 30 feet, but my basement is not quite that large to test that.

I have experimented with using the media pad to play Halo online. Using the media pad in it's standard position feels a bit cramped to me. Instead I tried turning it 90 degrees counter clock wise. That worked ok, but the I couldn't map the enter key in Halo, so I reversed it so the it was turned 90 degrees clockwise from it's standard position. In this setup I could map all the keys so they were very similar to the way they are mapped on a normal keyboard. This worked very well.

The only drawback I found from using the media pad was that I had a tough time reaching over and typing a communication on the keyboard if I needed to. From a WASD setup, I know where the keys are and can type quickly. Having to switch to the keyboard, I had to find the home keys before I could start typing. I found this to be a fairly slow process in the dark.

I've switched back to using the keyboard for now. It is relatively small and fits in my lap nicely. I use the mouse on the couch next to me. For games with voice comm, I wouldn't hesitate to use the media pad rotated 90 degress clockwise instead.

Rob

·
Registered
160 Posts
One other thing. The MX900 mouse is a very nice mouse. The one thing I noticed when I fist installed it is that it did not track as quickly as the MX700 I had in the before it. It is supposed to capture images at 800 cpi, same as the MX700, but I found myself having lift and reposition it in order to scroll across my screen (1280x720). I went into the settings and cranked up the sensitivity a bit and it worked nicely. I'm just not sure if the mouse doesn't track as well, or the installation turned down the sensitivity of the mouse. Since the sensitivity was adjusted, it has been great.

Rob

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darth,

I have the "older" Logitech Bluethooth...for now. One thing you might want to check into: When you installed your setup did it say that Bluetooth was already found on your computer? If so it did not install the Logitech Bluetooth. This means that the Bluetooth will work but is not optimized.

The problem is that if your computer has Autoupdate, one of Microsoft's Hotfix installed Bluetooth. Go to Logitech to find the Hotfix name, delete it and then full install the Logitech one. This should fix the resync problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Max,

Nope, didn't get that warning. I know I have the logitech one working because I just paired it with my new Plantronics M3000 headset which needs the headset profile which the microsoft stack doesn't support. I think I was just being a bit impatient with things not starting up right away. I noticed today that it takes a few seconds for the devices to "wake up", and I probably hit the reconnect button before they had a chance. I'm charging the M3000 now. It needs 8 hours for the first charge. I'll post my results tomorrow evening.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.