AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my LP340 this afternoon. I set it up, pointed at the wall, and threw in a DVD. I must say, this thing is VERY cool. I'm really impressed with the image quality. I did notice a few things:

1. Around the outside of the DVD image is a black (dark) border, around that is a lighter less defined border. I assume that the lighter border is the so-called "halo" effect. Is the darker border part of the image that's not being used? Or is it just internally masked some how?

2. Light leakage in the front. I had read about this, but when I saw it I was surprised out how blatently obvious it is. I had thought Infocus had fixed the problem on new units, I guess not. It's not that annoying, just seems so basic and easy to fix.

3. Rainbow effect... I can see it, but only if I try (moving my head around like an idiot). I don't think it's very annoying at all, the image is great... I think that some people are just a little too picky http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Are there any tips that anyone can offer for futher improving the image? I should be receiving a Dalite Model B screen sometime this week.

/Ryan

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also bought a lp340, suppose to recieve it today. I bought a 84" diag High Contrast Da-Mat screen from Dalite. Looking forward to see how it looks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have loved to get the 350, but price was my main concern. Since my main use for the projector is to watch DVD movies, the extra resolution doesn't make a huge difference (so I've been told) unless you are using a very large screen.

The other thing that kept me from spending the additional money for the 350 is that there are going to be many new DLP units coming out in a year or so. I figure the 340 should suit my needs just fine for now, and if I choose to upgrade later the prices will be lower for higher quality units.

A bunch of people say that the 350 will show it's higher resolution benefits if you feed it a signal from a PC. I guess if you are planning on playing a lot of games on your PC or want to set up a HTPC then the 350 might be better. But for movies the 340 is very impressive... This is definately one of the coolest (if not THE coolest) things I've ever bought!

/Ryan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David A. Frattaroli:
What made you all go for the 340 instead of the 350. I'm in the market and am wondering if it's worth it for me to get the 350.

Thanks.
Also choosing between the two. Leaning more towards the LP350 since I have a 16:9 screen and the LP350 allows you to view a 4:3 windows in the center of the 16:9 screen with it's Native mode.

Checking out the "Thumperized" UP-1100 if it has the native mode features and if it will work well with a progressive scan DVD player.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan0751:
How does that differ from setting the LP340 to "enhanced widescreen" mode and then setting my DVD player to 16:9?

/Ryan
Hmmm, not sure if that will work. It might just squish a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame. Maybe someone with an Infocus LP340 can tell us.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
846 Posts
Walter is correct.

The LP340 will squish 4:3 into the 16:9 frame. AKA: Short fat people.

In native mode the LP350 will take the picture and put it in the middle of the 16:9 screen.

--Les

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I don't see how this is different. If I leave the 340 in standard mode, and set the DVD player to use 16:9 mode, everything looks streched out (tall). I then set the 340 to use widescreen mode, and everything gets squished back down so it looks normal. How does the 350 differ from that? I think they are the SAME projector, considering the manual for the 340/350 is the same as well...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Everyone has me confused now. How does one watch an anamorphic movie( without downconversion being done by the Dvd player) on this projector and where is it placed on the screen?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.