AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the NEC LT150 after reading the reviews posted on this forum. After using it for a day I am very happy with the performance, especially hooked up to home theater computer. It was much better than I expected considering that I was projecting on to a off-white wall. I would like to thank Grant Smyth, Nelson, Halcyon and other members for their helpful reviews of the product.

I noticed that the s-video output was less then ideal though. I noticed wavy bands going down the screen. Is this what people refer to as rainbow effect? This is not that important to me since I am mainly going to be watching DVDs from my laptop. With the laptop running at 1024x768 I did not notice any flickering or bands. Does this have anything to do with the interlaced input from s-video versus the progressive output from the computer?

I am now looking to purchase a screen to go with the LT150. I am considering the DaLite DaSnap 78"x139" with the hi-gain fabric. What do you think of the choice? Where can I get it for the lowest price?

Thanks,

Myung

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Myung, the wavy band symptom is common and usually means you have what is called a ground loop. The two common causes of ground loops are telephone lines and cable TV connections. To fix this, you would remove such connections one at a time until the problem goes away, then install a ground isolator device on that line.

Less common but still possible is that you have powered the projector and source from two different AC power receptacles on two different circuits, and some other device or equipment like an air conditioner or other large motor is causing a ground loop. Fix this by connecting all your equipment to a common receptacle strip.

Gary

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

Thanks. I think your second suggestion might be applicable. I had the dvd player on a different circuit from my projector. I will try evaluating it with s-video again using the same outlet and see if there is any improvement.

Myung

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Myung,

Congratulations of your choice of projectors. I think a lot of people on this forum owe Grant thanks for his excellent reviews on this projector, including myself. Cousin's video have been recommended on this forum many times for DaLite screens. I have one on order and was told it would be a two to four week wait. If you look in the screens forum you can find instructions for building one out of blackout material which works quite well. This is what I have been using until I get the Hipower. Grant just compared the blackout with the Hipower and was very surprised at how well the blackout did but still preferred the Highpower.

I think the only screen that people don't have problems with is the one that is put flat on a wall. The pulldowns get wrinkles and the snap screens stretch after a while.

If you really want to know what rainbow is, walk in front to one side of your projector while playing a movie and look toward the lens, then turn your head quickly. This is the same rainbow that people also see when looking at the screen. I see it sometimes but it doesn't bother me too badly. It is usually during very high contrast scenes and during the closing credits where many times there are white letters on a black background.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.