AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 8142 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
It still takes quite long until it switches to the correct format/aspect and is thus very annoying sometimes. You would see black bars first and after a while it switches aspects.

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
It still takes quite long until it switches to the correct format/aspect and is thus very annoying sometimes. You would see black bars first and after a while it switches aspects.
Hrm... on the 2143 it was annoying the other way in that it was quicker but would often seem to get tripped up and make wrong decisions.

I guess I will find out soon when my masking screen goes up and I'm switching into bluray menus at 2.35:1.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
HDR intensity mapping was never a planned feature and is actually an extra over the features that were originally intended so it is , i would say, actually irrelevant as to whether it's in beta.

Reactions: Mark_H and bobof

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
HDR intensity mapping was never a planned feature and is actually an extra over the features that were originally intended so it is , i would say, actually irrelevant as to whether it's in beta.
Gordon, I wouldn't go quite that far. HDR intensity mapping is perhaps the primary reason many of us have bought and are using the Radiance Pro, at least those of us with Sony laser projectors! And my understanding is that Lumagen will continue to develop and improve this feature!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Gordon, I wouldn't go quite that far. HDR intensity mapping is perhaps the primary reason many of us have bought and are using the Radiance Pro, at least those of us with Sony laser projectors! And my understanding is that Lumagen will continue to develop and improve this feature!

that is not what i am saying. I am saying that in the past Lumagen have not said a product is out of beta until the orignal pre-beta launch features have been implemented. Even in basic form. No HDR intensity mapping was ever offered as a potential feature of the product at launch. It just developed and its popularity has knocked back the implementation of other promised features. From my point of view the product has not been a "beta" product for over 18 months. I fully expect them to continue to increase the performance of all facets of the units performance

Gordon

Reactions: bobof

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
that is not what i am saying. I am saying that in the past Lumagen have not said a product is out of beta until the orignal pre-beta launch features have been implemented. Even in basic form. No HDR intensity mapping was ever offered as a potential feature of the product at launch. It just developed and its popularity has knocked back the implementation of other promised features. From my point of view the product has not been a "beta" product for over 18 months. I fully expect them to continue to increase the performance of all facets of the units performance

Gordon
PiP and PoP were prelaunch features that so far have not been implemented. As they are still listed on the website as a future update Lumagen apparently has not given up on implementing them one day and therefore the Pro would have to stay in Beta until then.
The intensity mapping is indeed very important and it was the right decision to push back other things in order to implement IM and other HDR related features and functionality so no complaints from me that we are still in Beta.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Question, does the 4242 model have the auto aspect feature for movies with shifting aspect ratio, (like TDK and Dunkirk movies) so that it detects when there is a change of AR and automatically switches to fill the screen?

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
Question, does the 4242 model have the auto aspect feature for movies with shifting aspect ratio, (like TDK and Dunkirk movies) so that it detects when there is a change of AR and automatically switches to fill the screen?
It does have that feature, but it isn't really suitable for movies with shifting aspect ratio as it stands.
There is a (non-configurable) delay between detection and switching (i guess to avoid false switching). This is reasonably long, and it is safe to say the lag would spoil movies like those mentioned that change format during the content.

For those titles you'd probably be better off fixing the crop to 'scope (if you have a scope screen). If you have a 16:9 screen I don't think there is much you can do to avoid it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It does have that feature, but it isn't really suitable for movies with shifting aspect ratio as it stands.
There is a (non-configurable) delay between detection and switching (i guess to avoid false switching). This is reasonably long, and it is safe to say the lag would spoil movies like those mentioned that change format during the content.

For those titles you'd probably be better off fixing the crop to 'scope (if you have a scope screen). If you have a 16:9 screen I don't think there is much you can do to avoid it.
Ok, thanks for info. How long is this delay, 5, 10 seconds after shifting?
Have lumagen said anything about improving this feature anytime soon?

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
Ok, thanks for info. How long is this delay, 5, 10 seconds after shifting?
Have lumagen said anything about improving this feature anytime soon?
It's less than that but still significant. I couldn't watch it in a Nolan film (neither would I want to, director's intent and all that).
It used to be less in previous product but they did seem to false switch more than the last time I tried it on the Pro.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Can someone explain to me why they care about PiP (which I assume is picture in picture)? Maybe at the same time PoP? I'm curious...

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's less than that but still significant. I couldn't watch it in a Nolan film (neither would I want to, director's intent and all that).
It used to be less in previous product but they did seem to false switch more than the last time I tried it on the Pro.
Interesting that it was implemented better in older / previous radiance models. I hope there will be an update at some point. Been waiting for a long time but Jim said it was not a priority on there to-do-list :(

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
Interesting that it was implemented better in older / previous radiance models. I hope there will be an update at some point. Been waiting for a long time but Jim said it was not a priority on there to-do-list :(

I didn't say that, it definitely was not better.
Previous models might have switched quicker, but they also got it wrong much more.

Neither implementation in my opinion is suitable for watching movies with variable aspect - if you're sitting down to watch and enjoy the movie as if in a quality theatre. In that scenario nothing short of perfect, instant switching is really good enough - any time the "wrong" aspect is shown, then switching to another, is a time you will be pulled out of the movie and wondering what is going on with the projection system.

For me the Auto Aspect feature is great for doing bluray menus when in scope movies, or for having a setup that automatically switches for whole pieces of content (ie I start a new movie / episode, and it switches within a few moments of starting play).

For all the reasons mentioned above, plus respect for the director intent, I think that auto aspect switching for content which has been made in multiple aspects is a bad idea. Best to just crop top and bottom off the IMAX sections if you have a 2.35:1 screen, or play as it is on the disc if you have a 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts

I didn't say that, it definitely was not better.
Previous models might have switched quicker, but they also got it wrong much more.

Neither implementation in my opinion is suitable for watching movies with variable aspect - if you're sitting down to watch and enjoy the movie as if in a quality theatre. In that scenario nothing short of perfect, instant switching is really good enough - any time the "wrong" aspect is shown, then switching to another, is a time you will be pulled out of the movie and wondering what is going on with the projection system.

For me the Auto Aspect feature is great for doing bluray menus when in scope movies, or for having a setup that automatically switches for whole pieces of content (ie I start a new movie / episode, and it switches within a few moments of starting play).

For all the reasons mentioned above, plus respect for the director intent, I think that auto aspect switching for content which has been made in multiple aspects is a bad idea. Best to just crop top and bottom off the IMAX sections if you have a 2.35:1 screen, or play as it is on the disc if you have a 16:9 screen.
That's what I do. Interstellar - I watch it in 2.35:1 with my Paladin DCR lens on a scope screen. Dunkirk - I watch that on my 16:9 screen, since at least 1/2 that movie is 16:9. It's all good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The RS500 doesn't have a specific HDR preset. When it receives an HDR flag, all it does is switch to Gamma D. So this option in the Radiance doesn't help you that much.
Is their a plan for future upgrade that will automatically switch user profiles and bypass HDR flags on the JVC like the Vertex? This would allow us to use the dynamic Iris if needed and save some brain damage on having another HDMI handshake in the chain.

Thanks!

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
Is their a plan for future upgrade that will automatically switch user profiles and bypass HDR flags on the JVC like the Vertex? This would allow us to use the dynamic Iris if needed and save some brain damage on having another HDMI handshake in the chain.

Thanks!
The Pro can already do the HDR flags bypassing I believe. I think RS232 control could do with being more generic than just JVC control though. For example, I'd like to be able to control a masking screen as well / instead; that also takes RS232 commands.

Of course this could be dealt with externally to the Pro though, with some kind of control system; watching the Pro status and sending out corresponding macros. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi with some USB serial ports. That would also give the flexibility of doing IP control instead of just RS232.

I've got a masking screen on the way, and am using a JVC, both of which are RS232 devices, so if I wanted to do control both of those "smartly" in a Pro system via RS232 it would be difficult (due to a single RS232 port). As it happens my JVC can parse the HDR flag, so I'd only need the Pro to control the masking screen for a fully automated self contained system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m a new Radiance Pro owner, and I have much to learn.

I currently have two video sources: 1. Oppo UDP-203; 2. AppleTV 4k. The Radiance Pro is feeding video from these sources to a Sony VPL-VW385ES projector, which is paired with a Panamorph Paladin DCR anamorphic lens, and pointed at a 2.35 screen.

Based on this setup, I followed these instructions from Lumagen:

http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0007_FixedAnamorphicLens_011818.pdf

However, the image is still stretched a bit vertically (i.e., people have long faces and are tall and skinny). It’s not bad - I don’t think my family would notice it - But it’s noticeable to me.

As a result, I have a few questions:

1. The instructions recommend outputting a 2.37 aspect ratio - Is that to split the difference between 2.35 and 2.4 or is there another reason for their recommendation?

2. Could the vertical stretching I’m seeing (when watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which has a 2.39 aspect ratio) be the result of outputting a 2.37 aspect ratio or is there another variable I need to consider?

3. Is it possible (or worth) setting discrete aspect ratios, like 2.35, 2.39, 2.40, etc., so I can quickly select a custom aspect ratio via the Lumagen remote?

My setup is looking relatively good; I just need to familiarize myself with the interplay between components. Fortunately, each component has a good communitiy on this forum.

3321 - 3340 of 8142 Posts